The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Always hard to directly compare one player with another but FWIW I think we all saw first hand on Monday what Gogic brings to the team in the middle of the park.

He's an absolute warrior with that wee nasty side that you need someone in the team to have. Whilst Ethan can sometimes go missing in a game I don't think you see that with Gogic. His experience also makes him much more streetwise than Ethan again as he showed on Monday.

Certainly not as a good a passer of the ball which we will miss but I do think he has other good attributes that will compliment both O'Hara and Baccus (for as long as he is still here.

Not quite sure about the "prepares to stay at St.Mirren" line as the story just says he's not going to Forest Green.

Will be plenty other interest I am sure and if he decides to sit tight until the Summer then we'll still get our compensation fee.

Gogic is a far better player than Erhahon. Ethan has a great left foot and can make a few very good passes in a game. That's about it. He is so one-side that opponents stroll past his right side as if he wasn't there; he stands off players not closing them down, and doesn't track runners. He avoids heading the ball. His idea of imposing himself is stupid fouls and shouting at the ref. Gogic may not have the passing ability but provides everything else that Ethan can't. I would also have Kiltie starting before him. Ethan has improved this season with his workrate and attitude but his game awareness is poor and he is still anonymous most of the game with too many square passes and back passes when he should be dictating from his position.

42 minutes ago, Div said:

Not quite sure about the "prepares to stay at St.Mirren" line as the story just says he's not going to Forest Green.

Will be plenty other interest I am sure and if he decides to sit tight until the Summer then we'll still get our compensation fee.

Hope he does stay, been a mainstay of the team who have done so well up to now. One silly red card doesn't negate a season where he's clearly been one of our best players. Gogic is a good player, and played well on Monday, but he's nowhere near as good as Erhahon, as shown by the fact he's not been able to get in the team ahead of him.

Guessing he thinks he can do better than the team at the bottom of League One and possibly spending next season in League Two, which seems fair enough to me.

Financial step up probably wouldn't have been as much as he was hoping for either.

Other teams are looking at Ethan. Would still expect him to be off this window. 

He may have been a fud in the Killie game but his passing and use of the ball this season has been excellent. He rarely wastes a ball and makes himself available for a pass. He links our play very well. If he stays good but I still see him leaving.

I hope he doesn't settle for someone like Forest Green. No disrespect to them but if Kyle McAllister can go from not getting a game for a dreadful Partick Thistle side, to churning out MOTM performances for them, then Erhahon should be aiming higher.

I don't mean that as a criticism of McAllister either, I'm glad he's playing and doing well. 

I also have a lot of sympathy for Erhahon after the red card. When I saw it again on Sportscene it's a nothing reaction and he's unlucky to have caught the boy in the face. It wasn't like he lost the plot completely.

I hope he stays, he's a good player and is getting better. If he does go he should at least hold out for a decent move. He should be aiming to be in the English Championship within a season or so. That won't happen if he goes to Forest Green or Oxford.

12 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Has anyone out and out said Erhahon will not sign a new deal yet?

Didn't we offer him a new deal last year? He's available on PCA now anyway, so anyone can put a contract in front of him without the need to involve us. Reality is some English club is going to offer him more money and he'll go there, which he's right to do.  If for some unlikely reason he cannot get a better deal anywhere else, maybe he will re-sign. 

3 hours ago, Div said:

Will be plenty other interest I am sure and if he decides to sit tight until the Summer then we'll still get our compensation fee

If I've calculated correctly then this would be approximately the same as the Forest Green transfer fee (£350K). Won't make much of a difference to us financially should he decide to stay until the summer.

Different to the McGrath situation this time last year. We got a fee from Wigan in January. If he'd remained until the summer then we'd have got nothing.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

A compensation fee will only be forthcoming if someone is willing to pay it. If a UK club sign him but refuse to meet the development cost then it would go to a tribunal. For example this is what happened when Charlie Telfer left Rangers (2012) for Dundee United. 

IIRC John McGinn's was around the £200k mark and no one wanted him at that price. Saints and Hibs came to an agreement and that worked out well for both. 

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Gogic is a far better player than Erhahon. Ethan has a great left foot and can make a few very good passes in a game. That's about it. He is so one-side that opponents stroll past his right side as if he wasn't there; he stands off players not closing them down, and doesn't track runners. He avoids heading the ball. His idea of imposing himself is stupid fouls and shouting at the ref. Gogic may not have the passing ability but provides everything else that Ethan can't. I would also have Kiltie starting before him. Ethan has improved this season with his workrate and attitude but his game awareness is poor and he is still anonymous most of the game with too many square passes and back passes when he should be dictating from his position.

You are doing a great job of talking him up! Glad you are not his agent. 😂 

28 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

A compensation fee will only be forthcoming if someone is willing to pay it. If a UK club sign him but refuse to meet the development cost then it would go to a tribunal. For example this is what happened when Charlie Telfer left Rangers (2012) for Dundee United. 

Telfer was £170K at tribunal which was to cover training from age 12 to 18.

All a bit contentious though as Rangers had gone into liquidation during this period. They wanted £240K (£40K / training year). Maybe under normal circumstances they would have got that.

Ethan's would cover ages 12 to 22 so we should be looking at £300K+ even if it went to tribunal.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

27 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

IIRC John McGinn's was around the £200k mark and no one wanted him at that price. Saints and Hibs came to an agreement and that worked out well for both. 

A different situation to Erhahon's: McGinn was injured at that point having been "speared" by Thommo and had, supposedly, launched legal action against us. He wasn't going to be staying.

Meanwhile, the team he was part of were rank and had just been relegated. An injured player in a poor side. Demand was not going to be high.

Also left at age 20, to Ethan's 22, so a smaller development fee for us.

6 hours ago, Div said:

Had a feeling that he wouldn't pick FGR.

League 1 there's nothing wrong with but Forest Green is a clear step down from us.

Clubs like Portsmouth (who have distanced themselves) and Ipswich (who haven't) are clubs with much more upside than Forest Green, it just didn't feel like it would have been a good shop window for Ethan as they are far more likely to be a L2 side than a championship one any time soon.

Edited by djchapsticks

Not sure why folk are pretending it’s going to be easy to replace Erhahon - he’s been comfortably one of our best players this year and credit to him for kicking on the way he has this year.

Gogic is absolutely good enough to start and will compliment O’Hara/Baccus/Kiltie well but let’s not pretend he’s as good as passer or as composed on the ball as Ethan.