The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

There's been a few times we've been chasing games that a shift of system to accommodate width in more advanced areas wouldn't have been a bad move.

In same vein, he's signed Olusanya who is a winger and decided he's not going to play wingers, so where does he fit in?

Agree on that but I think he’s maybe a bit too lightweight for an attacking option on the right hand side at the moment, St Johnstone away springs to mind when he got targeted from the minute he came on.

Think Olusanya will be given a go up top to give us a bit of pace with 10/15 to go in games but I could be wrong.

Edited by SS77

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In other news, Jay Henderson has joined Caley on loan it appears.

Interesting move - one of my biggest criticisms of Robinson is a steadfast refusal to give Jay minutes. We know he's definitely good enough to play his part.

I think this is a great move for him.

- He needs game time, Inverness at this point is racked with injuries and he'll get that.
- He needs goals, and confidence that comes with that, and he is more than capable of scoring in that league.

Edited by Ric

To be honest, I think the Chanpionship is Jay‘s level and if it works out well I can see it being made permanent in the summer.

I just don’t think he’s at the level of ability where we/Robbo wants our players to be at. Wee Jay is more in the Cammy MacPherson territory for me, reasonable bench filler, not arsed if he goes.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

20 year old Frank.

Look at the crowd!

I know Well fans think we're taking the piss when talking about there being 15,000 plus Saints fans at the next round tie, but when you look at it in the context of THAT crowd, and THAT result, is it really that hard to believe.

RIP Frank.

Edited by Bobby_F

9 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Look at the crowd!

I know Well fans think we're taking the piss when talking about there being 15,000 plus Saints fans at the next round tie, but when you look at it in the context of THAT crowd, and THAT result, is it really that hard to believe.

RIP Frank.

Yes we've a larger overall support. With progress on the field, more fans are attending this season too. 

Some argue glory hunters etc. But the way we are playing is far more attractive than under JG and others for some time now. And who does not enjoy winning more often?

Long may it continue, a good bit of January flip, improve away form and we'll be quids in at the end of this season for sure.

Condolences for McGarveys family and friends. Loved watching him bend like rubber past defenders and scoring for us.

Gid New Year to you all !

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Richard Taylor confirmed on deal until end of season. 6'3" left-sided defender.

Chance to put some pressure on ‘Chilli D’ and potentially replace him if he delivers. Seems like a decent bit of squad management.

1 minute ago, aldo_j said:

Chance to put some pressure on ‘Chilli D’ and potentially replace him if he delivers. Seems like a decent bit of squad management.

Robinson saying as much. Covers in the left footer area and we hold the option to extend the deal if he's up to par. 

Low risk signing and it was confirmed that his wage is a straight replacement for Jay Henderson's.

5 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

I will never, ever get used to the idea of sensible recruitment in areas that need strengthening, underpinned by a clear strategy. 

6 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I suspect that this has been on the cards for awhile, not as a replacement for Henderson but for big Joe.

Wouldn't be surprised if Shaughnessy ends up at Pittodrie as JG desperately tries to sort out his mess of a defence.

Shaughnessy will be dropping down a level rather than getting a move to a side aiming for 3rd IMO.