The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Great news about Kiltie, he’s one of our best players. Showed his class with another goal from the bench the other day. Hope to see him feature more in the remainder of the season. 

Had a look at our out of contract players in the summer on Transfer Market.

Those out of contract are: Brophy, Erhahon, Fraser,  Main, Dunne, Shaughnessey, Tait, Henderson, Flynn, Reid and Urminsky

If that's accurate,  I'm hoping wer have offered new deals to Fraser, Main, Dunne and Urminsky.

I do like Jay Henderson, but don't see where he fits in SR's system, so unforuntately feel that'd be a wasted wage.

If we could retain Tait and Flynn on a reduced wage then I'd be ok with that. Even giving Flynn more of a coachig role might woirk out.

Erhahon and Reid will be off - that much is clear.

That leaves Brophy and Shaughnessey, who I would be ok with them leaving.

26 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Gogic was excellent last season as our defensive midfielder so an able replacement to slot into the team. And Kiltie has also been excellent playing a wee bit deeper than he usually plays. He was tremendous against Newco when Baccus was out. And we are allegedly after Scott Robertson of Celtic (played 50 games in League One in Engerland and played in the Europa League) and a loan for Alfie McCalmont who has 4 full caps for Northern Ireland. So we have plenty of midfield cover.

And I was told Olusanya was the best player on the pitch in the bounce game against Blackpool.

Ethan was always going to go and with 6 months left on his contract best it happen now and we get some dosh to balance books and enhance the squad.

My nephew is a season ticket holder at Morecambe told me McCalmont was very good and played every game while on loan at Morecambe from Leeds. 

20 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Those out of contract are: Brophy, Erhahon, Fraser,  Main, Dunne, Shaughnessey, Tait, Henderson, Flynn, Reid and Urminsky

If that's accurate,  I'm hoping wer have offered new deals to Fraser, Main, Dunne and Urminsky.

I do like Jay Henderson, but don't see where he fits in SR's system, so unforuntately feel that'd be a wasted wage.

If we could retain Tait and Flynn on a reduced wage then I'd be ok with that. Even giving Flynn more of a coachig role might woirk out.

Brophy is on a 3 year contract, doesn't expire till summer 2024.

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Was surprised to read Jim Goodwin say St Mirren are the most physical team in the league  ? 

It’s possible that he meant physically fit rather than physically hard on the pitch. 

The game is a lot less physical now than when Goodwin played for us.

8649EFD6-5FA6-48C7-9107-A1D3E386C4FB.jpeg.074696690a4a1cdeb506d4e33c3b3b33.jpeg

8FADB17B-0252-4B5A-956E-3608431405E7.jpeg.1536ee119e37b646740991b067a9eb28.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It’s possible that he meant physically fit rather than physically hard on the pitch. 

I think it was just a wee back handed compliment. For years I've thought we were soft as shite so I'm quite happy to see us be a bit more physical.

23 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Stop posting stuff that makes me love Jim Goodwin again. 😎

Part of me thinks Erhahon is better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers, part of me thinks, has he really shown up consistently that would attract better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers? Finally, part of me thinks, if he simply isn’t up for staying and signing a new contract, then what can the St Mirren BoD do? Hold a gun to the heads of Portsmouth and Forest Green, saying ‘gie’s £750k or else’? Phone up Cardiff City, Sunderland or a Sheffield United and say ‘Why are you not interested… gie’s £750k by the way’.

Would like to see him stay, but this is modern fitba’. We move on, and personally, would wish Erhahon all the best. Hope he shines, bigger clubs come calling, and we have a sell-on fee negotiated. Good player, but St Mirren would survive.

Edited by pozbaird

3 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Main next most important in my opinion. Fraser, then Dunne... are the sheep still interested in the later?

Tait and Flynn have been great for us but now past their best and would free up 2 decent wages. Squad needs to keep being improved.

Jay and the keeper yes or no is not momentous either way.

I like big Joe but highly likely he'll be away soon.

Wondering who we would get in if any of the above don't stay?

Edited by medals

Great news re: Kiltie!

league one would be a decent move for Ethan, you would expect him to be a regular starter, and with the money flying around down there he only needs a good 6 months for a relatively big offer to come in for him. Gives us a better chance of a sell on as opposed to going down and warming a bench somewhere.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Stop posting stuff that makes me love Jim Goodwin again. 😎

Part of me thinks Erhahon is better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers, part of me thinks, has he really shown up consistently that would attract better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers? Finally, part of me thinks, if he simply isn’t up for staying and signing a new contract, then what can the St Mirren BoD do? Hold a gun to the heads of Portsmouth and Forest Green, saying ‘gie’s £750k or else’? Phone up Cardiff City, Sunderland or a Sheffield United and say ‘Why are you not interested… gie’s £750k by the way’.

Would like to see him stay, but this is modern fitba’. We move on, and personally, would wish Erhahon all the best. Hope he shines, bigger clubs come calling, and we have a sell-on fee negotiated. Good player, but St Mirren would survive.

They are under a transfer embargo for welshing (literally) on paying for Sala.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Part of me thinks Erhahon is better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers, part of me thinks, has he really shown up consistently that would attract better than Portsmouth or Forest Green Rovers? Finally, part of me thinks, if he simply isn’t up for staying and signing a new contract, then what can the St Mirren BoD do?

Poz posting the salient issues. He's not going to sign a new contract so we either let him go for a development fee, or cash in for a little bit more, and perhaps a % sell on clause. I'm sure he'll have been offered a new contract but it's not going to touch the levels that the English leagues can pay.

The level seems about right for me, League One or Two. It's obviously not what he'd want, and it's not a like-for-like comparison between Scottish and English leagues, but several of our key players were playing that level before coming to us; Carson, Main, Ayunga so we shouldn't look down on it.

In terms of cover, it's great news Kiltie signed an extension, but I can't help thinking that it's predicated on Erhahon leaving and Kiltie either getting a regular start in the midfield, or at least a lot more game time from the bench as Gogic takes Erhahon's place. The elephant in the room, to an extent anyway, is whether someone comes in to steal away Baccus.

See if I am being completely honest, I've always felt there was more to come from Erhahon, and we are finally seeing it. He was useful yet inconsistent before, now he deserves that starting place. Still a bit too loose with bookings, which I think has seen him taken off before he'd run his game. Do I think he'll go on to a meteoric rise through the English leagues? No, I don't. I mean it would be nice for him if he could, not sure how much more he will improve.

Edited by Ric

Echoing everything folk have said about Kiltie, good bit of business.

Main and Urminsky next hopefully. Extend Ryan Strain and O'Hara as well if possible.

I'll be honest, I'm not to bothered about any of Shaughnessy, Dunne, Fraser or Tait not being here in isolation, but we definitely can't be doing with losing 4 or even 3 of them. Shaughnessy and Fraser possibly to go, Dunne and Tait to stay.

Good luck to Ethan: wants to go to England and has played well enough the past few months to attract interest. Has much to thank Robinson for. It's possible that the £350K figure is part of a release clause in his contract; also have my suspicions that yesterday's news was leaked by his agent, Mr Ferdinand, to alert bigger clubs than Portsmouth and Forest Green Rovers. Looks like he's away anyway.

We're fortunate I suppose that we have 2 potential replacements (Gogic & Kiltie) ready to go.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Echoing everything folk have said about Kiltie, good bit of business.

Main and Urminsky next hopefully. Extend Ryan Strain and O'Hara as well if possible.

I'll be honest, I'm not to bothered about any of Shaughnessy, Dunne, Fraser or Tait not being here in isolation, but we definitely can't be doing with losing 4 or even 3 of them. Shaughnessy and Fraser possibly to go, Dunne and Tait to stay.

Never thought I would say this but please let Main be next for a new contract. Under Robbo he is superb. Not the most prolific but as a foil for a.n.other up front he is the business. He is a changed player. 

Urminsky deserves a contract and wont be expensive. 

I would keep Dunne and Fraser both have been excellent this season. 

Without a doubt I would offer Strain and O'Hara extensions. Both have been outstanding. Cannot believe we pinched O'Hara from well. 

From what I gather on us being in for Richard Taylor he is a left centre back. This would mean maybe a sub on less than Joe, but cover for Dunne as we have young team and Gogic can cover there too on right. Or take over from Dunne. Happy if he turned out the next mugabi that Robo brought to Motherwell. 

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Poz posting the salient issues. He's not going to sign a new contract so we either let him go for a development fee, or cash in for a little bit more, and perhaps a % sell on clause. I'm sure he'll have been offered a new contract but it's not going to touch the levels that the English leagues can pay.

The level seems about right for me, League One or Two. It's obviously not what he'd want, and it's not a like-for-like comparison between Scottish and English leagues, but several of our key players were playing that level before coming to us; Carson, Main, Ayunga so we shouldn't look down on it.

In terms of cover, it's great news Kiltie signed an extension, but I can't help thinking that it's predicated on Erhahon leaving and Kiltie either getting a regular start in the midfield, or at least a lot more game time from the bench as Gogic takes Erhahon's place. The elephant in the room, to an extent anyway, is whether someone comes in to steal away Baccus.

See if I am being completely honest, I've always felt there was more to come from Erhahon, and we are finally seeing it. He was useful yet inconsistent before, now he deserves that starting place. Still a bit too loose with bookings, which I think has seen him taken off before he'd run his game. Do I think he'll go on to a meteoric rise through the English leagues? No, I don't. I mean it would be nice for him if he could, not sure how much more he will improve.

I’m not sure either about Erhahon developing to the point where an Everton, Leeds, or Leicester City come knocking a League One club door wafting 10 million in Erhahon’s direction. Mind you, he’s talented, is still only 21, and if the likes of Lee Cattermole and Mark Noble can forge top flight careers without being Iniesta or Xavi - so can Ethan Erhahon. Don’t mean that as an insult, but Scott Brown also forged out a good career running around midfields kicking folk, getting yellow cards, and being a bit spiky. Mon’ the Erhahon. 👍😎