The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The % of stadium capacity occupied also makes for good reading: a better experience for everyone attending if the stadium is busier and increases the chance of new supporters returning.

I'm astounded that we've managed to grow our support in the middle of this cost of living crisis. What's happening on the park obviously helps but all the community work is really paying off.

Screenshot_20221225-081710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.23894258ae45c2bda2833f1063055c98.jpg

Not everyone will be paying customers, obviously the club give out tickets to local schools ect but there is a difference between that and folk actually turning up. We've done it in the past and you wouldn't know the difference, we are certainly seeing it now.

These kids are turning up and really enjoying what they are seeing. Hopefully some will come back as paying customers, maybe even convert from Rangers or Celtic, as most school kids in the area will support either of the gruesome twosome without getting to see them play live. 

It's brilliant. Also puts to bed the soulless lego stadium argument. Place has been rocking all season.

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The % of stadium capacity occupied also makes for good reading: a better experience for everyone attending if the stadium is busier and increases the chance of new supporters returning.

I'm astounded that we've managed to grow our support in the middle of this cost of living crisis. What's happening on the park obviously helps but all the community work is really paying off.

Screenshot_20221225-081710_Chrome.thumb.jpg.23894258ae45c2bda2833f1063055c98.jpg

Countys is a funny one. They claimed they had over 4000 home fans the other day and when their stadium wasnt even close to half full.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

What's the script with Hearts there? How's that possible?

They resell season ticket seats if the season ticket holder tells them they wont attend, perhaps a quirk due to that, same seat counted twice?

17 hours ago, medals said:

Minor detail but we are joint 5th on goal difference with 2 games in hand over the fakes, but agree fully on O'Hara - great engine, scores and not really a weakness in his game.

Have a happy Christmas fellow buds.

We are third on the basis of average points per game. 

On 24/12/2022 at 17:43, djchapsticks said:

I'm convinced that Mark O'Hara is one of our best signings in many a year. He's just constantly an 8/10 almost every week.

If he was playing for Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs I'm certain he'd be getting spoken about for a Scotland call up.

Been trying something new, shaded area is "Scottish Premiership standard" range, excluding the OF really...

moh.thumb.png.721eca5f59b235e6148ad405e486cb67.png

He's always been a sort of top half Premiership CM. All round quality shows in how his attacking score and defensive scores are high dependent on what role hes asked to play. Always been a great finisher when given chances. Maybe struggles to play the more "playmaker-y" passes forwards but thats it really.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Been trying something new, shaded area is "Scottish Premiership standard" range, excluding the OF really...

moh.thumb.png.721eca5f59b235e6148ad405e486cb67.png

He's always been a sort of top half Premiership CM. All round quality shows in how his attacking score and defensive scores are high dependent on what role hes asked to play. Always been a great finisher when given chances. Maybe struggles to play the more "playmaker-y" passes forwards but thats it really.

Interesting stuff. Sort of backs up my appraisal then that performing above overall average for this level should have him at least in contention for a call up for a friendly squad. 

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Interesting stuff. Sort of backs up my appraisal then that performing above overall average for this level should have him at least in contention for a call up for a friendly squad. 

Think it would take a lot of call offs as he'll be behind the likes of Allan Campbell and Lewis Ferguson still, his age might count against him too, but safe to say he seems to be a top half CM regardless of how you use him.

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

"Ground Disruptor"?

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ability in breaking up opposition attacks on the deck, I'd imagine.

Pretty much this, but WyScout are weird with how they classify things so youve to dance around calling it 1v1 defender as in some cases its wrong. For instance they say youve "won" a defensive or aerial 1v1 duel if your opponent doesnt control the ball, which means some players get classed as good 1v1 defenders when theyre not. 

On 24/12/2022 at 17:43, djchapsticks said:

I'm convinced that Mark O'Hara is one of our best signings in many a year. He's just constantly an 8/10 almost every week.

If he was playing for Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs I'm certain he'd be getting spoken about for a Scotland call up.

I know someone who knows him, and they say he's a consummate professional - he doesn't drink and is constantly working to improve his fitness.

So folk don't have to read a Sun article, they're saying we've agreed with 2 English clubs an approximately £350k deal for Ethan. 

He's been great this season but clearly wants to go down South and is out of contract at the end of the season. Good luck to him and hope we've got a good sell on clause. 

Edited by jm1

1 hour ago, jm1 said:

So folk don't have to read a Sun article, they're saying we've agreed with 2 English clubs an approximately £350k deal for Ethan. 

He's been great this season but clearly wants to go down South and is out of contract at the end of the season. Good luck to him and hope we've got a good sell on clause. 

Definitely improved though he didn't shut down Kenedy for their goal.

£350k is not big money in football but is significant for us and with 6 months left its not dreadful. He will improve,  so big sell on clause would be good.

Think Gogic will make us better in the midfield too.

All the best to him, just hope he is always grateful to us.

The two clubs being mentioned don't exactly set the heather on fire. Would have expected better teams to come forward. This could be initial bids of course and others may come forward. 

Ethan clearly want to better himself outwith the SPFL. He finally looks more consistent under Robbo. 

The minute he changed agents you could tell he was off soon. 

Rumours have been muted about of 1 or 2 midfielders coming in. 

Need to strap ourselves in as more cash bids could follow for Baccus etc. 

Anyway wish Ethan all the best for the future

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

The two clubs being mentioned don't exactly set the heather on fire. Would have expected better teams to come forward. This could be initial bids of course and others may come forward. 

Ethan clearly want to better himself outwith the SPFL. He finally looks more consistent under Robbo. 

The minute he changed agents you could tell he was off soon. 

Rumours have been muted about of 1 or 2 midfielders coming in. 

Need to strap ourselves in as more cash bids could follow for Baccus etc. 

Anyway wish Ethan all the best for the future

I think it’s a combination of St Mirren looking to get some cash in the bank (plus look to get a sell on percentage) plus his agent getting him down south for a chance to impress bigger clubs while age is on his side.

We would have been entitled to a development fee but I think the club are looking to explore the future sell on fee which makes sense.

Look at Andy Robertson and John McGinn on their progress after leaving small clubs. Find it incredible that McGinn now has 50 caps for Scotland.

Good luck Ethan! You will be missed.