The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

When we get relegated  £88,000 a year would do serious damage to the club are you seriously saying it would not ?  Are you a new supporter to the club or a very young man ? 

Yes - St Mirren would be absolutely fine paying £88k a year to pay off a loan in the Championship. The club aren’t ran by daft businessmen like the various teams mentioned above, they’d plan for it and ensure it’s paid.

I’ve supported St Mirren since I was born in 1999 and my age has zero relevance to my understanding of the club’s money situation either but thanks for the snide comment.

19 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

When we get relegated  £88,000 a year would do serious damage to the club are you seriously saying it would not ?  Are you a new supporter to the club or a very young man ? 

Are we the only club constrained by this covid loan debt? And is ours not one of the lighter levels of debt?

So are all the clubs doomed or up the creak with no paddles?

In your crystal ball when are we getting relegated - since its clearly a certainty?

24 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

You spell yo yo with 4 o’s, I don’t think you’re in any position to lecture people on the wisdom of age. 

2 minutes ago, medals said:

Are we the only club constrained by this covid loan debt? And is ours not one of the lighter levels of debt?

So are all the clubs doomed or up the creak with no paddles?

In your crystal ball when are we getting relegated - since its clearly a certainty?

It certainly is. Don't let such facts get in the way of a good old panic though.

I believe repayments began in Sept 2022 and the repayment is interest free, paid monthly over a 20 year period so about £7.3K a month in our case, equivalent I guess to the wages of 1 senior pro.

6 minutes ago, Div said:

I believe repayments began in Sept 2022 and the repayment is interest free, paid monthly over a 20 year period so about £7.3K a month in our case, equivalent I guess to the wages of 1 senior pro.

And we knew about these, so they are already budgeted for.

1 hour ago, medals said:

And we knew about these, so they are already budgeted for.

Yip, they will be in the budget, but that money still needs to come from somewhere.

We usually spend about 75% of our turnover on wages.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

Yip, they will be in the budget, but that money still needs to come from somewhere.

We usually spend about 75% of our turnover on wages.

So I was trying to prevent someone from suggesting it was over than above what we have budgeted for.

The simple answer is it will come from our income. Baccus playing in the WC and crowd income etc.

Covid could have done more damage to football clubs, but the loans greatly reduced that.

The damage is now spread over the duration of the loan.

We are less disadvantaged than clubs whose loans are higher.

But you know all this.

It is being managed by professional folk, and not tyranically by one lead owner.

Let's see what transpires in the window - no doubt agents touting their guys - ones we would let go if the sums suit - and replacements too.

Taking points off rivals before then is the main priority though. 

Just now, medals said:

So I was trying to prevent someone from suggesting it was over than above what we have budgeted for.

The simple answer is it will come from our income. Baccus playing in the WC and crowd income etc.

Covid could have done more damage to football clubs, but the loans greatly reduced that.

The damage is now spread over the duration of the loan.

We are less disadvantaged than clubs whose loans are higher.

But you know all this.

It is being managed by professional folk, and not tyranically by one lead owner.

Let's see what transpires in the window - no doubt agents touting their guys - ones we would let go if the sums suit - and replacements too.

Taking points off rivals before then is the main priority though. 

Not sure why you're having a go at me here, all I've done is produce absolute facts in terms of what we borrowed and how we will pay that back.

If we're spending £7.5K a month on loan repayments then that's £7.5K that's not available to spend on the wage bill.

There is currently no financial director at the club by the way.

The club reported a loss of £45K in in the financial year covering the full season with no fans in the stadium.

There will have been lingering costs from the pandemic post May 2021, without doubt, but the majority of the damage was included in those accounts.

Seems you can't even post black and white facts these days without someone moon howling.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Not sure why you're having a go at me here, all I've done is produce absolute facts in terms of what we borrowed and how we will pay that back.

If we're spending £7.5K a month on loan repayments then that's £7.5K that's not available to spend on the wage bill.

There is currently no financial director at the club by the way.

The club reported a loss of £45K in in the financial year covering the full season with no fans in the stadium.

There will have been lingering costs from the pandemic post May 2021, without doubt, but the majority of the damage was included in those accounts.

Seems you can't even post black and white facts these days without someone moon howling.

I had absolutely no intention of having a go at you - so sorry it seems that way.

The someone I was referring too has not produced facts but unbalanced arguments.

ps i appreciate all the facts various posters are supplying, and the debate from both sides

We’ve got a couple of guys who are on big wages but have hardly kicked a ball in the first half of the season, Shaughnessy and Brophy.

We really should have offloaded these guys before signing Gogic and Olusanya….

Indeed, Olusanya has been out injured almost from the start while Gogic has been a back up player.

Lots of wages for very little return 

Can’t legislate for a player getting injured but Toyosi seems to be fit again now and hopefully he will have something to offer second half of the season.

Gogic was a signing most of us were delighted to see but he’s not had much of a look in because of the form and consistency of O’Hara, Baccus and Ethan.

That’s a positive outcome to be honest!

He’s filled in at the back at times and his versatility makes him a big asset to have around the place. 

We will get injuries, suspensions and maybe even departures which will open the door for him.

On 08/12/2022 at 08:47, Coventry Saint said:

It's an excellent point. Gogic-Kiltie-O'Hara is a far from disastrous trio in the middle. Kiltie did well when Baccus was out 'injured' just before the WC.

Indeed. And we’d have plenty of cash to bring in replacements and maybe make space for Reid to get a chance