The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

On a more positive note, 2 of my Paisley dwelling mates, who were/are nominally Sellick fans (the type who are supporters in name only and couldn't give you directions to Sellick Park) have just bought half season tickets for St. Mirren.

That is a bit of positivity great news. A few old firm fans season ticket holders have attended Saints games with me none old firm games and really enjoyed the day and said they will come back.  8 of Rothesay Celtic supporters club attended hospitality with me also none old firm game. 

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well someone's confused. I think I'd rather believe an ex-pro whose son is a Hearts GK coach .

Why are you always so aggressive when people type something differing from you?

Edited by Mr. Alli

Regarding the Gilmour situation: is there anything in the SMISA articles allowing rank and file members to force a vote of no confidence in individual board members? If so that's surely a better first option than cancelling memberships en masse, if people are that unhappy with his presence.

On another note, I found myself sat beside Keith Lasley on a train yesterday. Was going to ask what the asking price for Baccus is but decided not to be an annoying weirdo on a train and instead didn't say a word to him. A riveting and revealing anecdote for you all.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Regarding the Gilmour situation: is there anything in the SMISA articles allowing rank and file members to force a vote of no confidence in individual board members? If so that's surely a better first option than cancelling memberships en masse, if people are that unhappy with his presence.

On another note, I found myself sat beside Keith Lasley on a train yesterday. Was going to ask what the asking price for Baccus is but decided not to be an annoying weirdo on a train and instead didn't say a word to him. A riveting and revealing anecdote for you all.

Realty is online Saints fans make up a tiny fraction of the support.  If  those who oppose the man responsible for you having a club to support today was the views of the wider St Mirren support then Mr Gilmour would  not be any where near SMISA. Fact is he was voted onto the SMISA board by St Mirren fans.  A lot of nonsense is being pushed on forums. Such as Gilmour is bulling fellow SMISA members.  Where is the proof  ?  Fellow board members resigning who can't debate their corner. The other lie being told is Gilmour wants Kibble out . Nonsense Gilmour is on record saying he would like Kibbles share percentage reduced.  Another lie Gilmour wants on the club board   Gilmour has said he has no intrest being on the club board.  Gilmour spent many a sleepless night ,many hours and money stabilising the club with his fellow board members. . Did not agree with some ways the club was run under his tenure but the man for me deserves respect.  If there is a financial problem Gilmour is the right man to look assessing if its sustainable or not. 

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Realty is online Saints fans make up a tiny fraction of the support.  If  those who oppose the man responsible for you having a club to support today was the views of the wider St Mirren support then Mr Gilmour would  not be any where near SMISA. Fact is he was voted onto the SMISA board by St Mirren fans.  A lot of nonsense is being pushed on forums. Such as Gilmour is bulling fellow SMISA members.  Where is the proof  ?  Fellow board members resigning who can't debate their corner. The other lie being told is Gilmour wants Kibble out . Nonsense Gilmour is on record saying he would like Kibbles share percentage reduced.  Another lie Gilmour wants on the club board   Gilmour has said he has no intrest being on the club board.  Gilmour spent many a sleepless night ,many hours and money stabilising the club with his fellow board members. . Did not agree with some ways the club was run under his tenure but the man for me deserves respect.  If there is a financial problem Gilmour is the right man to look assessing if it’s sustainable or not. 

Realistically SMISA members make up a small fraction of the support  - we’ve got just over 1k members and we average 4/5k fans at home games.

Another point - what genuinely qualifies Gilmour to look at a modern football clubs finances? The club have took a gamble on a player trading model (which looks like it’s already going to pay off with Baccus) and aiming for a higher league finish. He is yesterdays man and we’ll be better off without him and his agenda against the Kibble causing more disruption.

He saved the club in the 90s and that should never be forgotten but it’s now 2022, we’ve moved on and he should too.

As for nonsense on forums - it’s very strange that since Gilmour got on board that we’ve seen nothing from Glen, Animal etc on BAWARMY…

21 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Realty is online Saints fans make up a tiny fraction of the support.  If  those who oppose the man responsible for you having a club to support today was the views of the wider St Mirren support then Mr Gilmour would  not be any where near SMISA. Fact is he was voted onto the SMISA board by St Mirren fans.  A lot of nonsense is being pushed on forums. Such as Gilmour is bulling fellow SMISA members.  Where is the proof  ?  Fellow board members resigning who can't debate their corner. The other lie being told is Gilmour wants Kibble out . Nonsense Gilmour is on record saying he would like Kibbles share percentage reduced.  Another lie Gilmour wants on the club board   Gilmour has said he has no intrest being on the club board.  Gilmour spent many a sleepless night ,many hours and money stabilising the club with his fellow board members. . Did not agree with some ways the club was run under his tenure but the man for me deserves respect.  If there is a financial problem Gilmour is the right man to look assessing if it’s sustainable or not. 

If Gilmour says it’s a lie he wants on the board then it’s definitely a lie then…………he’s such an honest fella.

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Realty is online Saints fans make up a tiny fraction of the support.  If  those who oppose the man responsible for you having a club to support today was the views of the wider St Mirren support then Mr Gilmour would  not be any where near SMISA. Fact is he was voted onto the SMISA board by St Mirren fans.  A lot of nonsense is being pushed on forums. Such as Gilmour is bulling fellow SMISA members.  Where is the proof  ?  Fellow board members resigning who can't debate their corner. The other lie being told is Gilmour wants Kibble out . Nonsense Gilmour is on record saying he would like Kibbles share percentage reduced.  Another lie Gilmour wants on the club board   Gilmour has said he has no intrest being on the club board.  Gilmour spent many a sleepless night ,many hours and money stabilising the club with his fellow board members. . Did not agree with some ways the club was run under his tenure but the man for me deserves respect.  If there is a financial problem Gilmour is the right man to look assessing if its sustainable or not. 

He doesn't need to be on the board. He'll now be able to veto any future SMiSA application for the club board, it says as much on the SMiSA website. A yes man will soon be put forward following disruption of the club board and everything reported back. If rumours were acceptable when reporting on club finances then I'm sure you can accept many of us making assumptions on Gilmour's intentions now. Can't have it all your own way.   

No one is disrespecting him for what he previously did - he should be no more than a SMiSA member like the vast majority of us especially with the horrific blurb he had as an application.  

Edited by buddie06smfc

55 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Realistically SMISA members make up a small fraction of the support  - we’ve got just over 1k members and we average 4/5k fans at home games.

Another point - what genuinely qualifies Gilmour to look at a modern football clubs finances? The club have took a gamble on a player trading model (which looks like it’s already going to pay off with Baccus) and aiming for a higher league finish. He is yesterdays man and we’ll be better off without him and his agenda against the Kibble causing more disruption.

He saved the club in the 90s and that should never be forgotten but it’s now 2022, we’ve moved on and he should too.

As for nonsense on forums - it’s very strange that since Gilmour got on board that we’ve seen nothing from Glen, Animal etc on BAWARMY…

I'd contend that 20 years of running the club qualifies Stewart Gilmour more than most to question the clubs finances.

The gamble may well have paid off with Baccus, time will tell, but should the club board be gambling?

20 minutes ago, Div said:

I'd contend that 20 years of running the club qualifies Stewart Gilmour more than most to question the clubs finances.

The gamble may well have paid off with Baccus, time will tell, but should the club board be gambling?

Ran the club nearly a decade ago and football has changed since then - I’d rather leave it to the ones in charge now.

I do think we should be gambling, we’ve been far too happy to accept mediocrity for most of my lifetime and if we’ve spent money we had in the bank to be better than a relegation battling outfit then so be it.

30 minutes ago, Div said:

I think we need to get away from the mode of thinking that gambling has got us into the position of having posted a loss over a couple of covid hit seasons. 

Underinvestment in our squad, at a time when top flight income is perhaps more important than ever, is an even bigger gamble - no?

3 hours ago, Bobby Boulders said:

I think we need to get away from the mode of thinking that gambling has got us into the position of having posted a loss over a couple of covid hit seasons. 

Underinvestment in our squad, at a time when top flight income is perhaps more important than ever, is an even bigger gamble - no?

Taking a calculated punt on the squad last season when we had £2.7m in the bank was fair enough, but if as expected we’re posting a loss of £1.7m for that period then budgeting for 7th again this season was madness, in my opinion.

We might well get away with it if we can cash in on Baccus in January but it’s not a sustainable way to run a football club.

It’s great having ambition and it’s great having a decent squad but all of that has to be delivered at a cost we can afford.

That’s boring but history has plenty examples of bigger clubs than us that gambled and lost.