The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 01/12/2022 at 08:58, pozbaird said:

I’m normally resigned to the fact if we unearth a good player these days, after five minutes, and some press stories olong the lines of ‘Old Firm run rule over St Mirren starlet’ - they’ll be off. Even if Baccus leaves us in January, and I hope he doesn’t, what a story. I think someone said it a few posts back - one we’ll be talking about for a long time. The unknown Aussie who comes to St Mirren, we can see right away he’s a player, then others notice. Before you know it, after twenty minutes previous play, he’s appeared in all three Australia World Cup games, has qualified from the group, and gets to kick the shite out of Lionel Messi.

Wonderful, just wonderful stuff.

Box ticked after eight minutes. 😀

On 01/12/2022 at 22:21, smellthepaw said:

Exactly this! I said the same after the success of Dorman. Why did we not further pursue the MLS and lower US leagues for talent. Was it down to scouting range or something? Alex Grieve has also been a very good find.

Greive came through the link we have with his club so I'm sure if there are any other talents there who could do a turn, we'd be notified.

Dorman was sort of landed on our door by Mo Johnston I believe. 

So yeah, budget will be a big part of why we can't fire scouts out to far flung corners and look for talent. 

13 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Your post lead me to have a look around the Western Sydney Wanderers club website. Wouldn’t mind a Joma version of their black and red hooped shirt for next season’s away St Mirren strip.

https://wanderersshop.com.au

Edited by pozbaird

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Your post lead me to have a look around the Western Sydney Wanderers club website. Wouldn’t mind a Joma version of their black and red hooped shirt for next season’s away St Mirren strip.

https://wanderersshop.com.au

Think there's still a bit of clamour for us to do something along the lines of the scarlet/navy combination that were our original colours. Think it would look good on this.

16 hours ago, Stu said:

Shame about the result but still wonderful for him.

He had an absolutely thankless task but I thought for the first half at least he done well to anticipate the play, and on more than a few occasions managed to nick in and stop the ball getting to Messi. Obviously it’s not an easy job and Messi done what he’s done for his full career and found the slightest opening to score. Baccus can hold his head high. 

Must admit the guy Behich from Dundee United impressed me too, wasn’t overawed by the occasion and was happy to stick the boot in to a few Argentina players as well as getting himself involved in the attacks. Anytime I’ve seen him in the league I’ve thought he was a bit of a weak link but he’s looked solid at the World Cup. Big Souttar as well, what a tournament he had. He would walk in to this current Scotland squad, he’s a man mountain and good with the ball at his feet as well. 

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

He had an absolutely thankless task but I thought for the first half at least he done well to anticipate the play, and on more than a few occasions managed to nick in and stop the ball getting to Messi. Obviously it’s not an easy job and Messi done what he’s done for his full career and found the slightest opening to score. Baccus can hold his head high. 

Must admit the guy Behich from Dundee United impressed me too, wasn’t overawed by the occasion and was happy to stick the boot in to a few Argentina players as well as getting himself involved in the attacks. Anytime I’ve seen him in the league I’ve thought he was a bit of a weak link but he’s looked solid at the World Cup. Big Souttar as well, what a tournament he had. He would walk in to this current Scotland squad, he’s a man mountain and good with the ball at his feet as well. 

I've been impressed with Behich this tournament too. Suppose the difference is though that he's a veteran in an Aussie shirt with nearly 60 caps whilst Baccus was pretty much untested.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Think there's still a bit of clamour for us to do something along the lines of the scarlet/navy combination that were our original colours. Think it would look good on this.

My mate came out with a great idea - keep the current all-black away strip for another season. Get more stock in so everyone who wants one can get one. It certainly deserves another season. Why not? It’s a proven hit.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Did that ever get worn in a competitive game? I liked that shirt, wore it when I went on a tour of the Nou Camp - was made of some super shiny material I think.

This is probably totally bollocks but some Leeds website I'd never heard of is linking us with a loan for one of their youngsters I've never heard of: https://www.leedsallover.com/2-reasons-why-leeds-united-agreeing-to-midfielders-exit-this-january-is-the-right-decision/

Played with Robinson at Morecambe and capped for Northern Ireland, probably where the link is coming from.

Pretending that there's some truth in it for a moment, the only reason I can see us going for another midfielder when we're supposedly skint is we're fairly certain at least one will be on his way in January.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Pretending that there's some truth in it for a moment, the only reason I can see us going for another midfielder when we're supposedly skint is we're fairly certain at least one will be on his way in January.

In totally unrelated news there is an article in todays Herald about Ethan and how Anton Ferdinand is now his agent. 

17 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

In totally unrelated news there is an article in todays Herald about Ethan and how Anton Ferdinand is now his agent. 

That isn't a shock to me at all. Ethan loved him when Anton was here and the feeling was definitely mutual.