The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

Competition time.

Guess which walloper posted this elsewhere in relation to Baccus.

Was it a Motherwell fan? Is signing an uncapped midfielder who plays in the World Cup just months later “classic Robinson”?

I didn’t think Baccus would get more than a cameo after the Aussies were already out, and they didn’t have a hope in hell of getting out of the group. Amazing what they have done. 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Was it a Motherwell fan? Is signing an uncapped midfielder who plays in the World Cup just months later “classic Robinson”?

I didn’t think Baccus would get more than a cameo after the Aussies were already out, and they didn’t have a hope in hell of getting out of the group. Amazing what they have done. 

I’m normally resigned to the fact if we unearth a good player these days, after five minutes, and some press stories olong the lines of ‘Old Firm run rule over St Mirren starlet’ - they’ll be off. Even if Baccus leaves us in January, and I hope he doesn’t, what a story. I think someone said it a few posts back - one we’ll be talking about for a long time. The unknown Aussie who comes to St Mirren, we can see right away he’s a player, then others notice. Before you know it, after twenty minutes previous play, he’s appeared in all three Australia World Cup games, has qualified from the group, and gets to kick the shite out of Lionel Messi.

Wonderful, just wonderful stuff.

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Baccus will move onto bigger clubs than us,  but we have to get a decent fee for him. Anything less that a million would be a joke. 

We need to know the market that we operate in and the transfer fees that we can realistically demand but any club in the English championship shelling out £1m for him would be getting him at a total steal. He's tailor made for that style of football.

In an ideal world we'd be asking a lot more for him but realistically, I'm not sure we could as other sides know a million quid to sides in Scotland outside the 5 biggest clubs is always going to be taken very seriously.

If it was a million or thereabouts, I'd be hoping we'd make sure there's at least a 25% sell on in there as well. The boy has far too much upside for that not to be a must.

Edited by djchapsticks

I'm honestly just absolutely buzzing about the thought of seeing a current Saints player playing Lionel Messi in a competitive game. I don't even care about the prospective transfer fee or the money from FIFA, I'm just fucking delighted that this talented lad has taken a gamble on joining a random team on the other side of the world, that it's paid off for him, that it's going to transform his career and that I get to hear WC commentators repeatedly mention our club.

I was really down about this tournament - still am, on most levels, and many of the games have been gash - but this is just putting a huge smile on my face every time I think about it.

Bit tinpot? Maybe. Basking in reflected glory? Yeah, a bit. But I'll remember what this lad has achieved forever.

What a great response to a young player we are trying to sign…………….we’ll look at Baccus, who came to our club as a relative unknown and left a World Cup International, that is the platform St Mirren can offer, now if you can just sign here 😎

I’ve got family in Sydney’s Northern Beaches who follow Celtic & Liverpool, but no-one is perfect. Anyway, when we signed Baccus & Strain, my reaction was the same as it was when we signed Andy Dorman - who? Then I saw them play. I messaged my folks over there to say ‘we just signed two Aussie guys, and by Christ, they’re more than decent. Guys called Keanu Baccus and Ryan Strain. Know anything about them? Their response - who?

Swear on my life, they messaged me this morning… That Baccus guy was good when he came on, you were right, he’s decent.

😀

18 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Elvis?
Zingali?

Another club.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Their obsession with Robinson seems to have abated.

It's a fan of a club with a similar financial history.

5 hours ago, AW saint said:

Strain really should be there with Keanu. He is the best full back we have had in years. 

Delighted for Keanu. Great lad. 

We should look to the Aussie leagues for more bargains

Exactly this! I said the same after the success of Dorman. Why did we not further pursue the MLS and lower US leagues for talent. Was it down to scouting range or something? Alex Grieve has also been a very good find.