The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

IMO for a club of our size to have a key player from a different Confederation the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Normally I would be keen to hold onto our better players as long as possible even if it costs us financially but not in this case - nothing personal. 

A pity because Baccus has been one of the more interesting surnames to play for us but I say best if we let him deliver ecstasy and frenzied states elsewhere.

So do we have to kick Greive out the squad as well? Strain too seeing as he's on the fringes, not worth the risk. Ayunga I'm sure is qualified to play for Kenya as well. If he plays so well for us he gets international recognition then what a disaster that will be. Unfortunately there is just no other option than to kick four of our best players straight out the squad.

Still, once Gilmour has us back to budgeting for 12th every season we won't be able to sign anybody with any international aspirations anymore so I guess the problem will solve itself soon enough.

13 minutes ago, GAD said:

So do we have to kick Greive out the squad as well? Strain too seeing as he's on the fringes, not worth the risk. Ayunga I'm sure is qualified to play for Kenya as well. If he plays so well for us he gets international recognition then what a disaster that will be. Unfortunately there is just no other option than to kick four of our best players straight out the squad.

Still, once Gilmour has us back to budgeting for 12th every season we won't be able to sign anybody with any international aspirations anymore so I guess the problem will solve itself soon enough.

Nope I wouldn't have signed any of the Antipodean trio, Ayunga's a false equivalence

I'm sure there's plenty of players qualified to play for European countries who would improve our squad.

Edited by btb

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Nope I wouldn't have signed any of the Antipodean trio, Ayunga's a false equivalence

I'm sure there's plenty of players qualified to play for European countries who would improve our squad.

No, no come on now, Kenya is far too far away, in a different confederation. Let's be safe rather than sorry and kick him out the squad as well.

Are we actually ok with European internationals? What about U21s and all that, gallivanting off to represent their countries? Kick all them out too and make sure it's just guys with no international ambition whatsoever?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely wild take.

None of the players we currently have will be with us 4 years from now at the next WC, probably not even in 2 years at the Euros, Pan-African/Asian tournaments, in such a transient environment I think these players are more trouble than they're worth - if I'm in a minority of one so be it

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Are we actually ok with European internationals? What about U21s and all that, gallivanting off to represent their countries? Kick all them out too and make sure it's just guys with no international ambition whatsoever?

That's not what I said but don't let that stop you getting worked up.

1 minute ago, btb said:

None of the players we currently have will be with us 4 years from now at the next WC, probably not even in 2 years at the Euros, Pan-African/Asian tournaments, in such a transient environment I think these players are more trouble than they're worth - if I'm in a minority of one so be it

And if we sell one or two of them for good money they will still be more trouble than they are worth?

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

And if we sell one or two of them for good money they will still be more trouble than they are worth?

OK, I'll go back on what I said in the last post.

Tell me what you think is "good money" and if one of them goes for said sum then I'll admit I was wrong.

Just now, btb said:

OK, I'll go back on what I said in the last post.

Tell me what you think is "good money" and if one of them goes for said sum then I'll admit I was wrong.

I'd say if we pulled for example high six figures or low seven for Baccus, that would be realistic and a worthwhile exercise.

44 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Just as well Fernando Azevedo wasn't good enough for Brazil back in the early 60s otherwise you'd have felt that way since birth!

That Gerry Baker he was a waste of space too....

You got his autograph?

1 minute ago, btb said:

That Gerry Baker he was a waste of space too....

You got his autograph?

I did have. He and a few others (Alasdair Millar, Jim Rodger etc) were guests at the 125th anniversary game v Ross County and I got them all to sign my 59 cup run programmes.

I no longer have them.

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I did have. He and a few others (Alasdair Millar, Jim Rodger etc) were guests at the 125th anniversary game v Ross County and I got them all to sign my 59 cup run programmes.

I no longer have them.

Shame. I still have my 125th anniversary top although some of the stitching has come loose, still after 20 years you can't complain.

6 hours ago, btb said:

IMO for a club of our size to have a key player from a different Confederation the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.

Normally I would be keen to hold onto our better players as long as possible even if it costs us financially but not in this case - nothing personal. 

A pity because Baccus has been one of the more interesting surnames to play for us but I say best if we let him deliver ecstasy and frenzied states elsewhere.

This is a really shite attempt at a wind up 

7 hours ago, btb said:

Away!!! 😅