The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

54 minutes ago, Div said:

Bit unfair. I think it's reasonable to be concerned about the finances at the club.

We have no facility to borrow money (other than this extraordinary Government loan) and we have no sugar daddy to pump money in if and when the need arises, so whilst it sounds boring I'd feel a lot better if we kept at least some money in the bank.

Rainy days come to football clubs like ours a lot more regularly than sunny days.

Used to hear what a great way our club is run one of the best in the uk .  We also used point the finger at other clubs for spending what they don't have .  Your right about dropping the subject let's see what the account's say .  Though I'm surprised by the numbers defending spending given the clubs history which is lucky to be here today. 

58 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

If the club was to lose money this season, who would we own it to since we don't have a bank overdraft afaik. 

Any losses would be funded from our savings. We started the year with a million left in the bank (according to the SMiSA meeting).

The big problem football clubs like ours have is with cash flow. They obviously get a lot of cash up front in the summer from season ticket sales, and prize money is (I think) paid in two tranches, one mid season and one at the end of the season depending (obviously) on where you finish.

The big bulk of spend is on players wages and they get paid every month so there tends to be a period later in the season before you get your final prize money where you need a chunk of cash to keep paying those wages.

That has affected the club a few times in the past and we've had directors throwing in temporary loans to get us through.

Those are the times when it's good to have a wee bit in the bank but regardless it's good practice for any business to have some reserves.

I just think that as long as it doesn't turn out that there's a glut of players earning 5k upwards a week, there's nothing wrong in spending this money to improve the playing squad. As others have said, it's a low cost loan repaid over a long time. Why not use it to try and get higher up the league and thus earn more money? It's not like it's a Wonga loan.

9 minutes ago, ford prefect said:

I just think that as long as it doesn't turn out that there's a glut of players earning 5k upwards a week, there's nothing wrong in spending this money to improve the playing squad. As others have said, it's a low cost loan repaid over a long time. Why not use it to try and get higher up the league and thus earn more money? It's not like it's a Wonga loan.

I don’t disagree but there’s still a line that needs to be drawn somewhere. 

Having spent £1.7m last season on whatever we spent it on I don’t think throwing another half million at the playing budget this season was massively sensible. 

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Used to hear what a great way our club is run one of the best in the uk .  We also used point the finger at other clubs for spending what they don't have .  Your right about dropping the subject let's see what the account's say .  Though I'm surprised by the numbers defending spending given the clubs history which is lucky to be here today. 

No - most of us are wanting to wait and see rather than instantly jumping to panic stations. Enough damage and worry has been whipped up among supporters by intentional shit-stirring over the last 6-8 months to suggest that we should perhaps have a full picture before coming to whatever conclusions we take from the situation.

What the funds have been spent on is a question that should and I suspect, will be subject to far more scrutiny than how much has been spent.

You may be surprised at the numbers defending the club's spending but then you have been one of the first folk on this site to shout about being, and I quote, 'financially fucked' and have been doing so for over two years because people you have claimed to trust told you so.

That is of course your right to believe and take from those conversations whatever you like but it does leave you very little wiggle room to be shocked or indignant that people hold a different point of view given you've been one of the loudest proponents of what has so far proven to be fictional information from these 'trustworthy sources'.

4 hours ago, Div said:

Any losses would be funded from our savings. We started the year with a million left in the bank (according to the SMiSA meeting).

The big problem football clubs like ours have is with cash flow. They obviously get a lot of cash up front in the summer from season ticket sales, and prize money is (I think) paid in two tranches, one mid season and one at the end of the season depending (obviously) on where you finish.

The big bulk of spend is on players wages and they get paid every month so there tends to be a period later in the season before you get your final prize money where you need a chunk of cash to keep paying those wages.

That has affected the club a few times in the past and we've had directors throwing in temporary loans to get us through.

Those are the times when it's good to have a wee bit in the bank but regardless it's good practice for any business to have some reserves.

I get that but what I meant was if we run out of saving before the season finish, who is picking up the tab since I don't think we have any rich directors. Agree we should always aim to have a fair bit of savings for the rainy day and it will be interesting what the 1.7 million was spent on. 

4 hours ago, tam the bud said:

I get that but what I meant was if we run out of saving before the season finish, who is picking up the tab since I don't think we have any rich directors. Agree we should always aim to have a fair bit of savings for the rainy day and it will be interesting what the 1.7 million was spent on. 

Let’s be clear that I don’t think we are anywhere close to that scenario.

Increased gates, the Baccus World Cup money and the insurance payout on the Dome could all amount to a couple of hundred grand, all of wouldn’t have been budgeted for.

I’d expect, as most have, that January will see us look to cut loose a couple of big earners that aren’t contributing.

Joe and Brophy the prime candidates but only if there is a taker that can be found (and the players want to go).

That’s not in itself linked to any financial issue of course, it’s just common sense that you don’t want to be paying big bucks to players who aren’t playing regularly.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Increased gates, the Baccus World Cup money and the insurance payout on the Dome could all amount to a couple of hundred grand, all of wouldn’t have been budgeted for.

I’d expect, as most have, that January will see us look to cut loose a couple of big earners that aren’t contributing.

Joe and Brophy the prime candidates but only if there is a taker that can be found (and the players want to go).

That’s not in itself linked to any financial issue of course, it’s just common sense that you don’t want to be paying big bucks to players who aren’t playing regularly.

What's actually went wrong with Brophy? I mind a time when he was in the NT setup.

9 in back-to-back seasons with Killie then absolutely nothing with St. Mirren.

8 in 53 😯

48 minutes ago, scamp1909 said:

What's actually went wrong with Brophy? I mind a time when he was in the NT setup.

8 in 53 😯

He’s been injured for a large part of his time with us. Doesn’t seem to have happened for him. 
I’d say it’s best for everyone if he moved on in January. 

7 hours ago, scamp1909 said:

8 in 53 😯

Constant niggling injuries denied him any sustained run in the team, and now he has had a period of being fit the honest truth is that there are three better strikers in front of him.

It’s been almost 2 years since he arrived at the club and he still hasn’t scored a single goal in Paisley.

11 hours ago, Div said:

Brophy can go to any team, but I would hate big Joe going to some team like  Killie, Fakes, Ross C, or the Well. 

I noticed Van Bronkhorst has been sacked following a 1 each with St.Mirren. It was the same with Le Guen, sacked after a 1-1 with Saints. 
I’m quite offended by that. They don’t seem to care about losing to diddy teams, but apparently a 1 each with St.Mirren is beyond the pale, the final straw, a step too far, time to get rid!

No. That’s not the way it’s supposed to be. Get I’m reinstated Rangers, and sack him after some different result. 

On a positive note I thought it was great to see the St.Mirren Women's team getting to play at the SMiSA yesterday and the social media output around the game, as has been the norm this season, was top class.

Well done the girls on an excellent 3-0 win to boot.

Probably very slim odds on Keanu Baccus getting his chance to show his talents on a worldwide stage tonight, but I'm wishing him all the best anyway.

And just for sentiment reasons I've stuck a couple of quid on him for a yellow card if he gets his chance tonight .

👍👍👍