The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

What a shame some of our support continue to gleefully buy the bullshit and can't see through those with an agenda.

No doubt when another of them want an elevated standing in SMiSA or the club, 'The Kibblebad' brigade will be deployed once again to spread their shite and it will be lapped up by folk as it is now a proven method.

Unfortunately his 'useful idiots' don't give a f**k if they are humiliated, Daddy Stewart must get what he want at all costs. If that's at the expense of them looking like utter gimps, so be it. :lol: 

Good to read all is not as bad as rumours suggested.  If it was not for Stewart Gilmour And former board members you would not have a club to support.  I'm sure the financial rumours could have been handled better if a former board member who saved the club has concerns many will sit up and take notice myself included given Gilmour’s track record saving the club. 

11 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Good to read all is not as bad as rumours suggested.  If it was not for Stewart Gilmour And former board members you would not have a club to support.  I'm sure the financial rumours could have been handled better if a former board member who saved the club has concerns many will sit up and take notice myself included given Gilmour’s track record saving the club. 

Did Gilmour save the club? You’ve not mentioned it there at all.

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Its Gilmour that was pushing the rumours even although it was bullshit.

Your’e another who was believing it all too, I think you said “it was sending shivers through you “ or something along those lines.

Also the halfwit that works in boots that has lapped up all the rumours, I’m embarrassed for him.

26 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Whilst this may be true, Stewart Gilmour also stood and lied to supporters faces about the consequences of not voting Rangers back into the league when they died. A statement and an evening where a number of us lost respect for him and I believe it was Brian McAusland who was standing beside him parroting this nonsense. 

Yeah his intentions are mostly good but don't think for a minute that the guy is infallible. He's certainly not that.

St. Mirren supporters gave SG and the board a very, very easy 18 years at the helm of the club all things considered. We as a support owe him nothing.

It's almost as if SGG knew how to and who to light a fire beneath to fuel the 'the clubs in financial ruin' rumour to aid his election to the SMISA board.

He's an intelligent man that's played complete morons like pawns and it has paid off magnificently. If I was one of the puppets, I'd keep in the dark for a while till the embarrassment blows over..

I don't wish to be a mood hoover but I don't find the outcome of last nights meeting much cause for celebration.

I'm staggered that anyone can just shrug their shoulders at the fact we've burned through £1.7m over and above our usual expenditure in the period May 21 (when we had £2.7m in the bank) to May 22 (when we had a million in the bank).

Whether that £1.7m was in the form of a long term interest free loan or not it's still an incredible level of spending for a company with a turnover of just £4m.

I appreciate Ralston cost more than planned and we still had lingering recovery from COVID, but £1.7m, gone! Fuck me!

The bigger issue though is this notion that we've budgeted to finish 7th. I find that an amazing strategy to be honest.

The prize money on offer for 7th this season is £1.8m. So fair to assume that we've set our playing budget based on that level of income.

What happens if we finish lower than 7th?

Here's how the prize money drops;

7th - £1.8m
8th - £1.5m ( -£300k)
9th - £1.45m ( -£350k)
10th - £1.4m ( -£400k)
11th - £1.3m ( -£500k)

Now of course we might finish 7th or even higher, that cannot be ruled out either, but similarly nobody can tell me there is absolutely no chance we might finish 8th for example.

8th wouldn't be a bad finish for us at all, yet it would put another £300K loss on the books unless unbudgeted income bridges that gap (Baccus World Cup money, a healthy Scottish Cup run, a Dylan Reid transfer fee etc etc).

That's the issue I have. We're setting ourselves up for a pretty big fall here if the team don't deliver on the park. It's great to be ambitious and we've certainly got a good team on the pitch, but it's not sustainable to budget for finishing 7th and I find it a wee bit concerning that we're effectively gambling on ourselves.

28 minutes ago, Div said:

I appreciate Ralston cost more than planned and we still had lingering recovery from COVID, but £1.7m, gone! f**k me!

The legend Tony Fitzpatrick can be held accountable for that shambles amongst signing off on other vastly over priced shite.

Certainly a worry if we're counting on the 7th place prize money to cover annual running costs IIRC back in the bad old days we used to budget for a 10th place finish.

Edited by btb

55 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

11th got to be the aim.

Spot on and 11th has previously been the default budget position for St.Mirren in the top flight.

It sounds boring and lacking in ambition but it's sustainable. Short term success should never be gambled over long term sustainability. Plenty clubs would testify to that!

In this league the lines between relative success and failure are so fine. We could as easily finish 5th or 6th this season as 9th or 10th. The financial impact of the latter scenario if we have budgeted on finishing 7th is pretty scary if you ask me!

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Spot on and 11th has previously been the default budget position for St.Mirren in the top flight.

It sounds boring and lacking in ambition but it's sustainable. Short term success should never be gambled over long term sustainability. Plenty clubs would testify to that!

In this league the lines between relative success and failure are so fine. We could as easily finish 5th or 6th this season as 9th or 10th. The financial impact of the latter scenario if we have budgeted on finishing 7th is pretty scary if you ask me!

read your quote in the post above boss 😂

12 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

read your quote in the post above boss 😂

Sorry not sure if you mean the Livingston fan was fishing, but St.Mirren have always, until the last two seasons, budgeted for finishing 11th in the Premiership.

2 hours ago, Div said:

Sorry not sure if you mean the Livingston fan was fishing, but St.Mirren have always, until the last two seasons, budgeted for finishing 11th in the Premiership.

5 hours ago, Div said:

I

7th - £1.8m
8th - £1.5m ( -£300k)
9th - £1.45m ( -£350k)
10th - £1.4m ( -£400k)
11th - £11.3m ( -£500k

Edited by RussellV1

4 hours ago, McG said:

Its Gilmour that was pushing the rumours even although it was bullshit.

Your’e another who was believing it all too, I think you said “it was sending shivers through you “ or something along those lines.

Also the halfwit that works in boots that has lapped up all the rumours, I’m embarrassed for him.

Correct I thought there was something in it . What I was told came from a SMISA committee member not Stewart Gilmour to be crystal clear.  I understand Gilmour has a meeting coming up with the club regarding finance is that correct.  

4 hours ago, Div said:

I don't wish to be a mood hoover but I don't find the outcome of last nights meeting much cause for celebration.

I'm staggered that anyone can just shrug their shoulders at the fact we've burned through £1.7m over and above our usual expenditure in the period May 21 (when we had £2.7m in the bank) to May 22 (when we had a million in the bank).

Whether that £1.7m was in the form of a long term interest free loan or not it's still an incredible level of spending for a company with a turnover of just £4m.

I appreciate Ralston cost more than planned and we still had lingering recovery from COVID, but £1.7m, gone! f**k me!

The bigger issue though is this notion that we've budgeted to finish 7th. I find that an amazing strategy to be honest.

The prize money on offer for 7th this season is £1.8m. So fair to assume that we've set our playing budget based on that level of income.

What happens if we finish lower than 7th?

7th - £1.8m
8th - £1.5m ( -£300k)
9th - £1.45m ( -£350k)
10th - £1.4m ( -£400k)
11th - £1.3m ( -£500k)

Now of course we might finish 7th or even higher, that cannot be ruled out either, but similarly nobody can tell me there is absolutely no chance we might finish 8th for example.

8th wouldn't be a bad finish for us at all, yet it would put another £300K loss on the books unless unbudgeted income bridges that gap (Baccus World Cup money, a healthy Scottish Cup run, a Dylan Reid transfer fee etc etc).

That's the issue I have. We're setting ourselves up for a pretty big fall here if the team don't deliver on the park. It's great to be ambitious and we've certainly got a good team on the pitch, but it's not sustainable to budget for finishing 7th and I find it a wee bit concerning that we're effectively gambling on ourselves.

You have it spot on. As a club we should always budget for worse case scenario. We don't want to be in last spot having budgeted to be mid table. 

Poor management IMO. 

Can only hope we can get some big transfer money in.