The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

The prices in the next manager markets move very, very quickly.

I imagine a few quid was placed by Saints fans looking to make a few bob after the "story" was broken in the Daily Record.

Few bits of money placed, price plummets as the bookies think someone is ITK which obviously this sort of market is very prone to.

The reality is that in the lead up to a game against Rangers or Celtic the media will look for any way to spin a story of interest relating to the up coming game.

Robbo had a good career at Luton so put 2+2 together and come up with a story linking him to the job.

The reality is that whilst he's doing a decent job with us there is little or no chance (IMHO) of an English Championship club coming knocking at our door for him.

The Record had him as definitely moving the the NI job, now the Record says he's definitely moving to the Luton job.

Considering neither of these things will happen, it's probably the case that the Record definitely talks utter shite.

As for the odds, it's as everyone else has said, it's only about redistributing the numbers so they don't make a loss (you never see a skint bookie), not actually tracking what is or isn't likely.

The Daily Ranger has previous for unsettling opponents of the dead club, especially when said dead club are in dire need of points.

So in order to secure a win for said dead club the powers that be, have Given brother Dallas the gig on VAR.

You couldn’t make it up.   

Edited by glenburn bud

1 hour ago, Div said:

The reality is that whilst he's doing a decent job with us there is little or no chance (IMHO) of an English Championship club coming knocking at our door for him.

I've mentioned this before on your thread but he did an interview with a Bournemouth podcast while he was between jobs after resigning from us and he pretty much admitted what you've said. Basically his point was that he had applied for the Bournemouth job while he was with us having thought that his 3rd place finish and 2 cup finals would get him a bit of credit and he was nowhere near getting the job.

That was despite being a popular ex-player and being on good terms with their head of football at the time.

Spoiler
38 minutes ago, Ric said:

The Record had him as definitely moving the the NI job, now the Record says he's definitely moving to the Luton job.

Without wanting to come across as salty this is very much par for the course with Robinson. He's savvy enough to know that it's a good look for him to be linked with jobs when he's doing well so his Mr 20% isn't shy in putting his name about.

On top of the Bournemouth application (which I don't think was ever reported on up here), off the top of my head he was linked variously with Luton, Huddersfield and Hearts amongst others while he was with us before genuinely interviewing for Northern Ireland.

As I say, that's not a dig at him. It's clear that part of the deal at Motherwell is that we offer a platform for players and staff to progress their careers.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The Daily Ranger has previous for unsettling opponents of the dead club, especially when said dead club are in dire need of points.

So in order to secure a win for said dead club the powers that be, have Given brother Dallas the gig on VAR.

You couldn’t make it up.   

I take it you have strong feelings for The Rangers Vince 😜

19 hours ago, Div said:

Kilmarnock and Ross County haven’t had any 🤷‍♂️

Doh! Just noticed that.

I'd have thought they'd have them on the table as '0' rather than not appearing at all.

Explains why Rangers don't appear on the 'penalties conceded' table then.

Until tomorrow of course 🙂

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Considering neither of these things will happen, it's probably the case that the Record definitely talks utter shite.

As for the odds, it's as everyone else has said, it's only about redistributing the numbers so they don't make a loss (you never see a skint bookie), not actually tracking what is or isn't likely.

I would imagine someone is feeding these stories to the Record to get his name in the frame. No sooner have these jobs come up than Robinson’s name is in the paper under consideration. A good agent IMO, one will land eventually. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I've mentioned this before on your thread but he did an interview with a Bournemouth podcast while he was between jobs after resigning from us and he pretty much admitted what you've said. Basically his point was that he had applied for the Bournemouth job while he was with us having thought that his 3rd place finish and 2 cup finals would get him a bit of credit and he was nowhere near getting the job.

That was despite being a popular ex-player and being on good terms with their head of football at the time.

Reveal hidden contents

Without wanting to come across as salty this is very much par for the course with Robinson. He's savvy enough to know that it's a good look for him to be linked with jobs when he's doing well so his Mr 20% isn't shy in putting his name about.

On top of the Bournemouth application (which I don't think was ever reported on up here), off the top of my head he was linked variously with Luton, Huddersfield and Hearts amongst others while he was with us before genuinely interviewing for Northern Ireland.

As I say, that's not a dig at him. It's clear that part of the deal at Motherwell is that we offer a platform for players and staff to progress their careers.

Yeah I think fans of clubs like Motherwell and St.Mirren know that the price of (even relative) success is that you're likely to lose the players and management that help deliver that success.

Football is also a very fickle business, you cannot blame managers for making hay when they can.

Look at last season as a prime example. St.Mirren limped into the winter break on a horrific run of 11 games without a win. The knives were sharpening for Goodwin but we came back after the shutdown and had six wins in an 8 game unbeaten run and suddenly he gets offered the gig at one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Goes there for 3 or 4 times his salary on a fat contract. Even if he's sacked from there eventually he'll still pick up another job at a club in the top flight.

I've no doubt had he lost the first couple of games after that break he'd have most likely been sacked by us and be looking at going back to part time football again.

And yet fans criticise managers for a lack of loyalty!

13 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah I think fans of clubs like Motherwell and St.Mirren know that the price of (even relative) success is that you're likely to lose the players and management that help deliver that success.

Football is also a very fickle business, you cannot blame managers for making hay when they can.

Look at last season as a prime example. St.Mirren limped into the winter break on a horrific run of 11 games without a win. The knives were sharpening for Goodwin but we came back after the shutdown and had six wins in an 8 game unbeaten run and suddenly he gets offered the gig at one of the biggest clubs in the country.

Goes there for 3 or 4 times his salary on a fat contract. Even if he's sacked from there eventually he'll still pick up another job at a club in the top flight.

I've no doubt had he lost the first couple of games after that break he'd have most likely been sacked by us and be looking at going back to part time football again.

And yet fans criticise managers for a lack of loyalty!

David Farrell said in his book, you get to the biggest club you can, so when the decline happens you get better clubs on the way down. Makes sense for Managers too.

Personally would be gutted if we lose Robinson.  Some wanted Derrick McIness Hunterhill  boy in to manage Saints. Bad very bad idea certainly doing a magic job at Killie 🤣.Big Rangers fan  at least he was when I lived in Hunterhill . He always jumped about when his teams scored against Saints keep him well away from the club guy is a ***. Jack Ross also keep him away. Fingers  crossed 🤞  Robinson stays.