The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I certainly won't disagree about our ability to stop crosses (mainly from our left IMHO). However the marking in the box has been terrible Dunne being the biggest culprit. Ball watches and loses his man constantly. Directly responsible for many goals this season. Crosses and marking are both things we have to work on.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It's one of the weaknesses of the three at the back system Robinson is wedded to. The full backs have attacking duties too, and are regularly caught out of position because of it.  There must have been three or four times in the first half alone that they got in behind Strain last night because he was too high up, none of which led to any real chances thankfully. When they do get themselves in a position to defend they aren't doing it properly, fatigue from all that running up and down the touchline or just a bit pish? A mix of both, probably.

After the winter break I'd like to see us try a back four again, with a right and left back who's primary job is to stop crosses into the box.  Stop giving up so many cheap goals and see where it takes us. Eight goals conceded in three games against Hibs, County and St Johnstone is shockingly poor.

We don’t have a true left back and not seen Strain play there before. Would mean players coming in and I just don’t see us doing that.

For all the system can be blamed, it’s individual errors that cost the equaliser. Too much fannying about, trying to waste time then not closing the cross down that led to the goal. Individuals need to take responsibility.

Plus, Clark could attempt that another hundred times and not score.

46 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

We don’t have a true left back and not seen Strain play there before. Would mean players coming in and I just don’t see us doing that.

For all the system can be blamed, it’s individual errors that cost the equaliser. Too much fannying about, trying to waste time then not closing the cross down that led to the goal. Individuals need to take responsibility.

Plus, Clark could attempt that another hundred times and not score.

Yeah, easy for loudmouths in the main stand to have a go at the manager, though individuals on the park need to look at their work rate to the final whistle. Thats what's cost us at the end of the day. 

We were barely (if that) troubled all night by them going forward, then a lapse of concentration deep into injury time has cost us. The worrying thing is, there were plenty of our defensive players in the box when that ball got put in (tactically right to do so), so they were in a very good position to get that ball cleared and failed. 

18 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Yeah, easy for loudmouths in the main stand to have a go at the manager, though individuals on the park need to look at their work rate to the final whistle. Thats what's cost us at the end of the day. 

We were barely (if that) troubled all night by them going forward, then a lapse of concentration deep into injury time has cost us. The worrying thing is, there were plenty of our defensive players in the box when that ball got put in (tactically right to do so), so they were in a very good position to get that ball cleared and failed. 

Yeah, this is what annoys me in seeing the second Saintees goal again, it's a great finish, but the guy isn't on his own, he's surrounded by Saints players who all just sort of watch it happen.

I didn't think we were as bad as some are making out. I also don't think the tactical changes were the issue either, we went for it, we scored, we went back to the usual shape and were pretty comfortable really. Our big problem was players behaving stupidly. The time wasting wasn't necessary and just led to the ref going in the huff and playing till the Saintees scored. Also, I'm pretty sure the reason they were able to play the cross in so easily for the second was because O'Hara dived in for a ball that he wasn't going to take and just helped it on to the guy in space instead of keeping shape and closing him down, but I haven't seen that part back so maybe harsh.

At the end of the day, we are better off than we were this time last season. We are going through our roughest patch so far, and even then, we are two points off 3rd. 

I am, if you had to give a definition, a happy clapper. In general, anyway.

However, last night, while I am not annoyed at the final scoreline (after all, we'd been on a bad run and lost to this same team 3-0 just a few weeks back, so a draw is hardly the worst result), but the manner we conceded was dreadful. Absolute amateur night. Despite Robinson putting on 2 defenders in the last moments, despite us having all the time and space we needed, despite it all pointing towards closing the game out, we managed to f**k it up.

It is just down right negligence, and stupidity. That's not to say we deserved the 3 points, I think we did purely because we were the better team overall, but I am sure you could argue a draw was fair.

VAR worked as it should, punished us with one hand (pun!) while rewarding us with the other. Both decisions were right, just a shame both were ignored by the referee, then 2 other referees took far far longer to get to the actual correct decision. It only goes to show what an absolute fucking state our officials are in. Still, as I say, I felt we were the better team overall, but it's not the final scoreline I'm pissed about but the manner in which it came about.

:angry:

Edited by Ric

Kiltie needs to stay in that team, he made a huge difference last night. 

Still think Grieve is more effective coming on as an impact sub rather than starting.

Ayunga needs a spell on the bench, he came on and put in a half arsed effort, that shot he put out the ground was just laziness. 

Brophy in the short time he was on worked hard, pressed and closed people down, we need to see him get longer than 10 minutes here and there though.

44 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, this is what annoys me in seeing the second Saintees goal again, it's a great finish, but the guy isn't on his own, he's surrounded by Saints players who all just sort of watch it happen.

I didn't think we were as bad as some are making out. I also don't think the tactical changes were the issue either, we went for it, we scored, we went back to the usual shape and were pretty comfortable really. Our big problem was players behaving stupidly. The time wasting wasn't necessary and just led to the ref going in the huff and playing till the Saintees scored. Also, I'm pretty sure the reason they were able to play the cross in so easily for the second was because O'Hara dived in for a ball that he wasn't going to take and just helped it on to the guy in space instead of keeping shape and closing him down, but I haven't seen that part back so maybe harsh.

At the end of the day, we are better off than we were this time last season. We are going through our roughest patch so far, and even then, we are two points off 3rd. 

Can't argue with any of this. 2 points off of 3rd is some achievement at this stage in the season. Aberdeen at times have been similar to us, when you look at form up and down. Its a missed opportunity dropping two points when Saturday is as much as it pains me to say it, 'a free hit', where the odds are heavily against us. Hopefully we see us up our game as we did v Celtic. 

2 minutes ago, McG said:

Still think Grieve is more effective coming on as an impact sub rather than starting.

Ayunga needs a spell on the bench, he came on and put in a half arsed effort, that shot he put out the ground was just laziness. 

Brophy in the short time he was on worked hard, pressed and closed people down, we need to see him get longer than 10 minutes here and there though.

That drop from the starting lineup may get the best back out of Ayunga, although we are about to close down for a month. When he's on his game, he's unplayable at times.

Unbelievable where Brophy is in terms of pecking order after being signed as our main striker. If his weekly is as rumoured, he is too much of a luxury to be 4th choice striker. I do think we are more likely to see goals from Grieve ahead of him.

O'hara won the ball in the air but his headed clearance hit the SJ players head (Crawford ?) and ricochet straight to their wide man who gave it back to Crawford (?) who delivered the ball into the box.

Very good point made by Robbo in his Saints website interview. 

If there is a handball from St Johnstone on the build up to the St. Mirren handball in the box, surely it has to be taken back from there and reviewed if its part of the attacking play? After all, that's how we got penalised a couple of weeks ago, when Baccus was alleged to have fouled the Dundee Utd player before Ayunga scored, resulting in goal chopped off. 

33 minutes ago, McG said:

Brophy in the short time he was on worked hard, pressed and closed people down, we need to see him get longer than will 10 minutes here and there though.

Doubt you will see Kiltie at the weekend he signaled to the bench his hamstring was giving him pain that's why he was taken off. 

23 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Just read Roman on loan at Portsmouth in league one fairly getting about is Roman. 

Roman? Do you mean Connor Ronan?

If so, he was on loan at Portsmouth in 2018 and is now in the Wolves first team squad. He even played in the League Cup this week and made his Premier league debut last Saturday.

He's not on loan at Portsmouth and you're obviously reading an old article you haven't date checked. :lol:

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Roman? Do you mean Connor Ronan?

If so, he was on loan at Portsmouth in 2018 and is now in the Wolves first team squad. He even played in the League Cup this week and made his Premier league debut last Saturday.

He's not on loan at Portsmouth and you're obviously reading an old article you haven't date checked. :lol:

Artical popped up on Google oh well cheers for pointing it out. 

2 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Doubt you will see Kiltie at the weekend he signaled to the bench his hamstring was giving him pain that's why he was taken off. 

A goal and an assist last night by Kiltie, thought he was comfortably our best player on the night.  His first was tremendous but that delightful little chest to O'Hara for the second made an outstanding strike an even better goal. Hopefully he's fit for Saturday!

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
18 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Arse cheek compliant media pulling out the stops to ensure their masters don't drop any more points in Paisley is what I see there.

Hope you're right.. Robinson was captain at Luton was a bit of a fans favourite.