The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I hope Tanser is fit for tomorrow. I'd take Gogic and Dunne out of defence. Both have been poor for weeks. Marcus and Joe to replace them. Gogic in for Ethan and Greive for Ayunga. Really feel sorry for Greive - top scorer, closes down, chases everying in sight, knows when to pass and looks up for team mates before doing so. He may be lightweight but his other attributes should give him a chance of a starting slot considering how poor Ayunga has been recently.

17 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I hope Tanser is fit for tomorrow. I'd take Gogic and Dunne out of defence. Both have been poor for weeks. Marcus and Joe to replace them. Gogic in for Ethan and Greive for Ayunga. Really feel sorry for Greive - top scorer, closes down, chases everying in sight, knows when to pass and looks up for team mates before doing so. He may be lightweight but his other attributes should give him a chance of a starting slot considering how poor Ayunga has been recently.

Agree with this. Shouldn't be afraid to rotate a little bit when form is poor. We're not calling for any massive system change, just some tweaks to freshen up.

For the Saintees game I would probably stick with Main and Ayunga. Purely for their physicality.

There's no way I'd have Brophy anywhere near the starting 11. The guy is shot due to then horrendous number of injuries he's had. It's a shame, that things haven't worked out for him but I'd be hoping to move him on come January.

Dunne needs a spell on the sidelines. He's been poor for a few weeks now and needs a break. Shaughnessey might not be in SR's long-term plans, but for as long as he's employed by the club, he should be able to be relied upon and he would slot perfectly into the heart of the defence.

As I poster previously, Baccus 100% should play here. No reason to drop him ahead of the World Cup. Ethan is the one I'd drop for the next 2 games. I have wondered if he has been playing with an injury recently.

My line-up for tomorrow would be...

Carson

Fraser   Shaughnessey   Gallacher

Strain                                                                         Tanser

Baccus    Gogic    O'Hara

Ayunga   Main

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Brophy is going to become a real problem for us.

Even if he's not on the widely rumoured £3K a week he won't be on a kick in the arse off it, and his contract doesn't run out until Summer of 2024.

I don't think there will be a queue of clubs banging our door down in January to take a massively injury prone player off our hands and even if he's desperate to get some football again he's not going to budge unless it's for a similar wage.

Always going to be a compromise somewhere along the line but it's unlikely to be a cheap one.

7 sub appearances so far this season and I genuinely can't remember him contributing anything other than the pass for Greive to score the third at Tannadice.

17 hours ago, Div said:

Brophy is going to become a real problem for us.

Even if he's not on the widely rumoured £3K a week he won't be on a kick in the arse off it, and his contract doesn't run out until Summer of 2024.

I don't think there will be a queue of clubs banging our door down in January to take a massively injury prone player off our hands and even if he's desperate to get some football again he's not going to budge unless it's for a similar wage.

Always going to be a compromise somewhere along the line but it's unlikely to be a cheap one.

7 sub appearances so far this season and I genuinely can't remember him contributing anything other than the pass for Greive to score the third at Tannadice.

He would need to move down south at very least for us to offload most of his wage if we were still needing contribute towards. 

If we were looking to reluctantly cut our ties with our a transfer fee, then I think we possibly would, because as you say, who is going to pay a transfer fee never mind £3k a week for a player who has barely kicked a ball.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The situation with Brophy is similar to when we had Craig Dargo. Great player when he is fully fit but those occasions are sadly few and far between.

Dargo was a very clever player, his intelligence off the ball like bringing others into play made up for the lack of goals he scored for us, a brilliant football brain.

Brophy isn’t scoring goals and he doesn’t have that football brain either.

29 minutes ago, McG said:

Dargo was a very clever player, his intelligence off the ball like bringing others into play made up for the lack of goals he scored for us, a brilliant football brain.

Brophy isn’t scoring goals and he doesn’t have that football brain either.

Might help if he gets a game and we can get out our own half to get the ball to him.

On 08/11/2022 at 10:31, Arch Stanton said:

I've just read that it's $10k per day that each player is with the squad including the official "preparation period".

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/fifa-distributes-more-than-usd-200m-to-clubs-across-the-world

England meet up on November 14th.

If Australia did the same and were knocked out at the group stage then Baccus would be with them for 17/18 days.

Approximately £150,000 for Saints.

On 08/11/2022 at 10:31, Arch Stanton said:

I've just read that it's $10k per day that each player is with the squad including the official "preparation period".

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/fifa-distributes-more-than-usd-200m-to-clubs-across-the-world

Is the $10k not split between the clubs he played for in the past 2 years? 
If so, then we’re only going to get a fraction of that 

30 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Is the $10k not split between the clubs he played for in the past 2 years? 
If so, then we’re only going to get a fraction of that 

No.

Each club he has played for receives the sum separately.

How much SPFL teams will earn from World Cup as Celtic, Rangers and Hearts set for timely Qatar payouts - Daily Record

Edited by FTOF

Correct and the 10k USD per day is from last Sunday until the day after Australia are ko"d presumably Thu 1 December so 21 days of payments.

12 minutes ago, McG said:

Did anyone see any confrontation between Robinson and some fans in the main stand? 

Didn't see it but heard about it from someone who did. He got stick and tried to get into the stand for a em.. closer confrontation with the fan giving him it, he was held back by Dec and the back room staff. Not the first time it's happened with him and I guess it won't be the last either. 

Edited by Lex

We don’t half concede a lot of goals from crosses. Livi, Dundee Utd, Hibs (in the build up to their penalty), Ross County and St Johnstone all scored from crosses in recent weeks. When you consider the height of those players that have beat our defenders to the ball in the air, it’s ridiculous. A combination of full backs not stopping crosses and centre backs passing on men instead of taking responsibility is a huge issue. I had been unfair on Tait as I was so used to him saunter out to about 10 yards away from the player crossing only to then stop and wait to turn his back on the cross but it’s every full back doing it.  

19 minutes ago, Lex said:

Didn't see it but heard about it from someone who did. He got stick and tried to get into the stand for a em.. closer confrontation with the fan giving him it, he was held back by Dec and the back room staff. Not the first time it's happened with him and I guess it won't be the last either. 

Re-run of the Jack Ross incident  ?  There are a couple of silly loud mouths not far from the dugout you would think they are watching a different game at times.  Emotions would have been  high given when the equaliser went in especially with Robinson.   5 minutes extra time St Johnstone score on the 96 minute . 

6 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

We don’t half concede a lot of goals from crosses. Livi, Dundee Utd, Hibs (in the build up to their penalty), Ross County and St Johnstone all scored from crosses in recent weeks. When you consider the height of those players that have beat our defenders to the ball in the air, it’s ridiculous. A combination of full backs not stopping crosses and centre backs passing on men instead of taking responsibility is a huge issue. I had been unfair on Tait as I was so used to him saunter out to about 10 yards away from the player crossing only to then stop and wait to turn his back on the cross but it’s every full back doing it.  

It's one of the weaknesses of the three at the back system Robinson is wedded to. The full backs have attacking duties too, and are regularly caught out of position because of it.  There must have been three or four times in the first half alone that they got in behind Strain last night because he was too high up, none of which led to any real chances thankfully. When they do get themselves in a position to defend they aren't doing it properly, fatigue from all that running up and down the touchline or just a bit pish? A mix of both, probably.

After the winter break I'd like to see us try a back four again, with a right and left back who's primary job is to stop crosses into the box.  Stop giving up so many cheap goals and see where it takes us. Eight goals conceded in three games against Hibs, County and St Johnstone is shockingly poor.

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

It's one of the weaknesses of the three at the back system Robinson is wedded to. The full backs have attacking duties too, and are regularly caught out of position because of it.  There must have been three or four times in the first half alone that they got in behind Strain last night because he was too high up, none of which led to any real chances thankfully. When they do get themselves in a position to defend they aren't doing it properly, fatigue from all that running up and down the touchline or just a bit pish? A mix of both, probably.

After the winter break I'd like to see us try a back four again, with a right and left back whose primary job is to stop crosses into the box.  Stop giving up so many cheap goals and see where it takes us. Eight goals conceded in three games against Hibs, County and St Johnstone is shockingly poor.

The back 4 was beyond dreadful in the league cup, that being said I think he should’ve stuck with it once in the lead last night given the circumstances. I think 3-5-2 works for us, certainly at home, perhaps a 4 at the back might be worth a try away from home. We have shown we know how to defend with a 3 at the back, so I don’t think that’s the issue. More a real lackadaisical approach to defending crosses both in wide areas and in the box in recent times. The likes of Clark at St Johnstone, Anderson at Livi and Henderson at Hibs shouldn’t be comfortably winning the ball in the air when we’ve got 3, 4 or 5 defenders in the box. We are adept at closing down players when they are in central areas nearing the box, however when out on the wing it’s half-arsed even in early stages of the games so fatigue can’t come into it.