The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

From OS...

𝙇𝙤𝙖𝙣 𝙒𝙖𝙩𝙘𝙝: 𝙇𝙚𝙬𝙞𝙨 𝙅𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙚𝙨𝙤𝙣 𝙣𝙚𝙩𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙘𝙝 𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙧𝙤𝙬
Lewis Jamieson kept us his fine form with the winner for Airdrieonians on Saturday. Lewis - who scored a hat-trick the weekend previous in a 4-0 win for Airdrieonians against Montrose - netted the only goal on Saturday as the Diamonds defeated Clyde 1-0 at Broadwood.
It's now five goals in his last three matches with Lewis also having scored in a 3-1 loss to FC Edinburgh in October. Dean McMaster was an unused substitution for the Diamonds.
Also in League One, Kieran Offord came on as a substitute for Alloa Athletic as they were held to 1-1 draw with Kelty Hearts at New Central Park. The 18-year-old replaced veteran striker Connor Sammon in the 69th minute.
17-year-olds Aiden Gilmartin and Ewan Thomson both featured for Cowdenbeath in their 1-0 win over Cumbernauld Colts in the Lowland League. Gilmartin started the match, while Thomson was a second-half substitution.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Neither Strain or Baccus made the Australia WC squad.

Behich of DU and Atkinson, Rowles and Devlin of Hearts made it.

Didn’t think it’s was being announced until tomorrow (early hours our time)?

9 minutes ago, Paul Cicero said:

Wheres big Joe ?  Wheres Kilite ?  Wheres Jay Henderson ? Wheres Brophy ?  Why no rotation ?  No wonder we haemorrhage money and are in debt !

In order..

Sitting on the bench waiting for January.
Doesn't fit into Robinson's formation.
Ditto.
Injured, mostly, it would seem.
Because 60% of the time it works every time.

..but they are valid questions to be asked.

Are we haemorrhaging money? Are we in debt? Have the accounts been published?

2 hours ago, Ric said:

In order..

Sitting on the bench waiting for January.
Doesn't fit into Robinson's formation.
Ditto.
Injured, mostly, it would seem.
Because 60% of the time it works every time.

..but they are valid questions to be asked.

Are we haemorrhaging money? Are we in debt? Have the accounts been published?

John-Brown.jpg

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's amazing, and it will be a nice wee injection of cash for the club - I've heard it mentioned that we might need it.

The flip side is that he could maybe have done with a rest, but overall it's amazing news.

I wonder if Strain's recent injury niggles killed off his chances. 

Amazing news for Baccus. 

First thing he needs though is 'rested' as he'll be walking on eggshells through the next two matches and who could blame him? Potentially once in a lifetime stuff.

We've got enough depth in midfield to allow for him to drop out for a couple of games. Imagine if the lad got hurt now!

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Amazing news for Baccus. 

First thing he needs though is 'rested' as he'll be walking on eggshells through the next two matches and who could blame him? Potentially once in a lifetime stuff.

We've got enough depth in midfield to allow for him to drop out for a couple of games. Imagine if the lad got hurt now!

Aye, Gogic switched to midfield surely. Everyone will understand if Baccus sits out the next 2 games, it has to happen. 

Usually I wouldn't advocate it at all as I always prioritise club football but the fact of the matter is that the guy moved here for two reasons. To give himself a crack at making the national team and World Cup and a move to the Premier League eventually.

I know there are a lot of folk who don't care for international football and particularly this World Cup but for me, it's still the pinnacle. The most prestigious thing a footballer can do is go to the World Cup.

We have also been calling out for a few refreshments in the middle of the park. This is a prime opportunity to do that. Move Gogic forward and get Joe back in at centre half. 

I thought Strain was the more likely of the two, but Rogic not being picked seems to have opened a door for Baccus. Brilliant for him, though looking at the squad I feel it's going to be a tough tournament for the Aussies.

On performances, Strain is well ahead of Atkinson, that said Atkinson has been part of the International squad for ages, and Strain hardly a sniff. No idea why.

Real surprise Rogic is not part of the squad, we know his quality from playing in Scotland for so long. Great for Baccus to get the recognition.

Not that I'll be watching a single second of the tournament, it's a disgrace.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's amazing, and it will be a nice wee injection of cash for the club - I've heard it mentioned that we might need it.

I've just read that it's $10k per day that each player is with the squad including the official "preparation period".

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/fifa-distributes-more-than-usd-200m-to-clubs-across-the-world

Absolutely class for Baccus. Brilliant.

Get this chat about resting him in the bin though. He's employed by the club and, when fit, should always be played if selected by the manager. It'd be an utter nonsense if we dropped him, whilst paying him, so that he could go and play international football for Australia, who don't pay him.

I'd be totally against that. No offence to the lad, but winning games of football for St Mirren means more to me than him playing at a World Cup for Australia.

Hopefully he plays the next 2 matches for us, plays out of his skin and heads off to the World Cup absolutely flying.

Best of luck to him and Australia.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Brilliant to see Baccus getting to Qatar but I am a bit gutted for Ryan Strain who has been exceptional since he got his match fitness up.

Looking ahead to tomorrow, it really is a massive one for us.

St.Johnstone fairly battered us up in Perth and are coming into this one on the back of three straight wins. They actually have the 4th best away record in the division and they are always tough to beat.

That all said, it's our home form that has kept us out of the shit and it can keep us out of the shit.

If Tanser is now fit then he has to start, with Fraser replacing Gogic on the right of the three.

I'd consider dropping Ethan and putting Gogic in there with O'Hara and Baccus, just to shake things up a little.

The strikers are a difficult one as Main & Ayunga have looked great together at times but is it now getting too predictable?

Brophy and Main might be worth a punt but I do prefer Jonah to Broph. Can't quite believe I'm typing those words tbh!

Greive for me is still best coming off the bench, can sniff out a wee half chance against a tiring defence.

Feel we are also well overdue a wee rub of the green as well, would be nice to get a VAR call going our way for a change.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Feel we are also well overdue a wee rub of the green as well, would be nice to get a VAR call going our way for a change.

Okay, so I probably do have rather black and white tinted specs when it comes to referees, however I think we've had three games with VAR and in each of the three major decisions have gone against us.

Dundee United - perfectly good goal wrongly chopped off that could have led to us losing that game.

Hibs - penalty a minute before HT for a handball that the ref missed, and even after multiple viewings impossible to see whether it came of his right hand (a pen) or left elbow (not a pen). Either way hardly clear and obvious error.

Ross County - the foul on Tanser at 3-2 down is about as clear as you can get. Ref missed it, but how on earth did Collum miss it?  Back to 3-3 with 10 minutes to go, and who knows what happens. The two pundits on Sportscene both said it was a clear pen, and even referenced how much clearer it was than the Aberdeen one given in the game that they showed next.

I think we've had one VAR decision go for us, but it was to chop off a clearly offside Hibs goal.

So one for us - the only one that wasn't a value call; and the other 3 all go against us.

If anyone thought VAR was going to stop mistakes they've been proved wrong already.

What it does do though is shine a big spotlight on decisions like Saturday - Collum under no pressure, and with the availability of thinking time and multiple angles, still gets that wildly wrong.