The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Ric said:

Just heard this stat on the radio, apparently Aberdeen have won just 3 of their last 28 away fixtures. I find that hard to believe but if true that puts out problems into perspective.

I think they only really won  in Perth until they beat Motherwell last week.

It's like chalk and cheese with us though. We have restricted most teams in Paisley to limited chances this season, away from home our defence roll over and get their tummies tickled.

On 29/10/2022 at 17:14, AW saint said:

Our away form is shocking. Simply not good enough. If anyone was watching Baccus etc they would have left after 10 minutes. 

We have been poor on the road so far, Tannadice apart, however 3 of the 4 defeats were at Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs - we hardly ever win at any of those ground. St Johnstone was the only one where we might have been slight favourites. Once we've played at some of the other places where we might be more fancied would be a better time to judge. County away next week is important- type of game we have to win to hope to get into top 6.

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

We have been poor on the road so far, Tannadice apart, however 3 of the 4 defeats were at Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs - we hardly ever win at any of those ground. St Johnstone was the only one where we might have been slight favourites. Once we've played at some of the other places where we might be more fancied would be a better time to judge. County away next week is important- type of game we have to win to hope to get into top 6.

County will beat us easily 3-0 they have pace all over the park and 4 or 5 really decent players.

13 hours ago, elvis said:

County will beat us easily 3-0 they have pace all over the park and 4 or 5 really decent players.

25 minutes ago, elvis said:

Our league position makes us look not bad but take us away from home and we are garbage.

sad winnie the pooh GIF

Gogic is not a centre back. It was painfully obvious on Saturday. Big Declan Gallagher is our main man in defence, without him starting then we should be playing Shaughnessy. 
Midfield were hopeless on Saturday too. When Ethan has a poor game it’s like playing with ten men. He doesn’t try to play himself into the game, he just disappears.   

It was a very poor performance all round. It’s a wee bit concerning to see Robbo changes personnel but won’t change formations when it’s not working. 
Teams have sussed how to play us away from home and it’s pretty much hard to watch us soaking up sustained pressure and giving up Possession for the majority of the game. It feels like we just invite relentless pressure, hoping we get lucky with a breakaway goal. On sat it never worked and we had no plan B.    

We've given away 6 penalties this season, the highest in the division by 2.

H vs Motherwell - Handball
A vs Aberdeen - Handball
A vs St.Johnstone - Foul
H vs Livingston - Handball
A vs Rangers - Foul
A vs Hibernian - Handball

We've not rescued a single point after losing the first goal in a game.

We've not lost a single point after going ahead in a game.

So, all we need to do is score first and stop giving away penalties and we'll be Europa League bound.

20 hours ago, Div said:

We've not rescued a single point after losing the first goal in a game.

We've not lost a single point after going ahead in a game.

So, all we need to do is score first and stop giving away penalties and we'll be Europa League bound.

I agree, it's more of a first goal issue which goes back to when Robinson took over but I think we're stronger this season, the two late winners against Utd. & Livi after we lost the lead didn't happen last season.

I think we're competitive in the division and that's all we can ask for in the top flight - 3 games to the WC in Qatar and then we can get some serious navel gazing done.

Oh yeah and fuck international football, I'll never be watching it again.

Edited by btb

3 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Gogic is not a centre back. It was painfully obvious on Saturday. Big Declan Gallagher is our main man in defence, without him starting then we should be playing Shaughnessy. 
Midfield were hopeless on Saturday too. When Ethan has a poor game it’s like playing with ten men. He doesn’t try to play himself into the game, he just disappears.   

It was a very poor performance all round. It’s a wee bit concerning to see Robbo changes personnel but won’t change formations when it’s not working. 
Teams have sussed how to play us away from home and it’s pretty much hard to watch us soaking up sustained pressure and giving up Possession for the majority of the game. It feels like we just invite relentless pressure, hoping we get lucky with a breakaway goal. On sat it never worked and we had no plan B.    

Your bottom paragraph is spot on .you would think after losing 14 goals in four games he would change the system away from home.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Elvis makes an excellent point: if you take away all the games we have won this season, then our record is actually utter shit.

Don't try be a smart arse .If you think it's ok to keep playing like that away from home then your mental

20 hours ago, Div said:

We've given away 6 penalties this season, the highest in the division by 2.

We invite pressure and don't want to keep the ball so no real surprise we've given away so many penalties especially with the way the handball rule is now.

I'm not sure of our identity away from home and what we are trying to do...

Gallacher missing is a big blow for us defensively - does anyone know how long he is out for?

The away form is definitely a concern but we aren't alone in struggling on the road this season.

County, Livingston, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock and ourselves have amassed a grand total of 3 away wins between us so far this season from 29 attempts.

Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs only have 2 wins each on the road from 20 fixtures between them.

Home advantage is obviously always a thing, but it seems to be very pronounced this season for whatever reason.

We've had a tough run of games on the road as has been said but it's the manner of the defeats that has been the most concerning thing. Once we go a goal behind we just seem to capitulate.

Playing two strikers away from home is a risky approach. Perhaps we need to be a bit more pragmatic?

My biggest concern at Away games is we stand off the opposition and don't close them down giving them all the time they want to control the ball, look up and spot a pass. And when it was obvious on Saturday we were getting roasted down the left we didn't change tactics nor personnel but stuck with something that blatently wasn't working.

36 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

My biggest concern at Away games is we stand off the opposition and don't close them down giving them all the time they want to control the ball, look up and spot a pass. And when it was obvious on Saturday we were getting roasted down the left we didn't change tactics nor personnel but stuck with something that blatently wasn't working.

I do agree we got slaughtered on the left on Saturday, but we were without Tanser and Tait had not trained all week so mitigating circumstances I guess.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't be a stupid fucker then and no-one will be a smart arse with you.

It's funny how when I point out we are shit away from home I'm a stupid fucker but when others basicly point out the exact same thing it's fine you fucking knob