The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Ryan Strain has made the provisional Australia list for the World Cup. Great news for him personally and for the club to showcase how playing regularly can put you in the shop window. 

Good news if true (can't see official news anywhere). I'm shocked he's made it ahead of Baccus to be honest. Maybe Australia more well versed in centre mid position than at right back.

Edited by djchapsticks

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good news if true (can't see official news anywhere). I'm shocked he's made it ahead of Baccus to be honest. Maybe Australia more well versed in centre mid position than at right back.

I think the other right back is Bhehich from Dundee Utd who is too busy nursing his serious facial injury. 

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Good news. I'm shocked he's made it ahead of Baccus to be honest. Maybe Australia more well versed in centre mid position than at right back.

The preliminary squad, which had to be in by last Friday 21st, can contain between 35 -55 players. I'm certain that Baccus will be in it.

There is no obligation for nations to announce their preliminary squad, before the final 26 player squad deadline on the 14th of November.

Maybe the players have been informed.

When are World Cup squads announced for Qatar 2022? Deadline for roster reveals | Sporting News

Socceroos World Cup squad: Australia's projected team and possible starting side for Qatar 2022 | Sporting News Australia

Edited by FTOF

37 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The preliminary squad, which had to be in by last Friday 21st, can contain between 35 -55 players. I'm certain that Baccus will be in it.

There is no obligation for nations to announce their preliminary squad, before the final 26 player squad deadline on the 14th of November.

Maybe the players have been informed.

When are World Cup squads announced for Qatar 2022? Deadline for roster reveals | Sporting News

Socceroos World Cup squad: Australia's projected team and possible starting side for Qatar 2022 | Sporting News Australia

Baccus is in it.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Australia have Mooy, Irvine and Rogic, who you'd think are absolutely nailed on for a squad place in that midfeild, so the competition Baccus faces for a squad place might be significantly more difficult than for Strain.

3 hours ago, Lola montez said:

I think the other right back is Bhehich from Dundee Utd who is too busy nursing his serious facial injury. 

Doesn't he play on the left? I think it's Atkinson (at Hearts) who is his main competitor for the position.

As for Baccus, if you look at that squad, it's quite packed with some experienced midfielders. Mooy, Irvine and Rogic alone account for 150+ caps. Although comparing Mooy's performances with Celtic and Baccus with us, it's clear which one is in good form.

I want Baccus at the world cup - I really do - but there would be plus sides to him not going. Fitness/fatigue, no risk of injury, keeps him out the shop window.

(There are counterpoints to the above, mainly around potential club income at a point when, I've heard, we might need it. I'm just saying it's not all bad if he doesn't go.)

32 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's a really tough one for me, I fully understand why both Strain and Baccus would want to play in the WC, but I simply cannot support this WC.

It’s a shambles that it’s been allowed to go ahead all things considered. We all know the human rights issues don’t matter to the corrupt elite who run world football.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Strain is the most talented player in our squad IMO. I am amazed he’s not been involved in more Australia squads than what’s mentioned on his wiki page. He must be a shoe-in to make the final squad. 

I mentioned this in a post a while back, Strain has played most of his career domestically, and hardly a sniff of international recognition other than very recently. Other players have also done the same and they do get the recognition. Which makes you wonder what level he was playing at before. He's clearly talented, and certainly worthy of inclusion considering the other options available, could it be he's only recently "turned it on" as I can't imagine someone playing at the level he is with us would be ignored for so long, especially if he was playing in the Australian leagues for (almost) all of that time.

4 hours ago, Ric said:

It's a really tough one for me, I fully understand why both Strain and Baccus would want to play in the WC, but I simply cannot support this WC.

The Australian FA released a video this week with the squad condemning Qatar for its treatment of workers and draconian laws particularly around gay rights. 

There are so many reasons why Qatar should not be hosting this.

The away form is certainly a problem. Soundly pumped by StJ, Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs on the road now. Three points from 15 available is just not good enough.
Thankfully, the excellent home form offsets that, and the fact we have still played more home than away bumps us up a bit higher than we probably should be.
Gogic is a midfielder and should absolutely not be playing in front of Joe at centre back.
Rotate him with Ethan and Mark? Fine. Play Joe at centre back.

20 minutes ago, Lex said:

The away form is certainly a problem. Soundly pumped by StJ, Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs on the road now. Three points from 15 available is just not good enough.
Thankfully, the excellent home form offsets that, and the fact we have still played more home than away bumps us up a bit higher than we probably should be.
Gogic is a midfielder and should absolutely not be playing in front of Joe at centre back.
Rotate him with Ethan and Mark? Fine. Play Joe at centre back.

Definitely a problem. It's bizarre, we set up the same at home and it has worked brilliant.

He will definitely need to change things for Dingwall next week. 

If we keep up our home form we will avoid relegation easily enough, the odd win and certain draws away from home props you up into the European positions.

27 minutes ago, Lex said:

The away form is certainly a problem.

Just heard this stat on the radio, apparently Aberdeen have won just 3 of their last 28 away fixtures. I find that hard to believe but if true that puts our problems into perspective.

Edited by Ric