The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, billyg said:

I can only reiterate what a very popular ex-player told me a few years ago , that he wouldn't set foot in the new stadium until SG had gone. Said ex-player has since returned to the fold !

Heard similar and I know a number of people that would stop going if he got his foot back in the door, he’s not popular at all and appointing him would set us back.

His statement says it all really and only adds to what I’ve been told already. 

Some good folk have left smisa, expect more unfortunately.

This was always the possible drawback with the Kibble investment, despite holding a smaller % of shares than SMISA they (Kibble) have F/T people at the club (my assumption) whereas SMISA is reliant on members carrying out duties in their spare time. SMISA need strong willed representatives to deal with this situation and SG certainly fits the bill, he did look tired at the end of the old BoDs tenure back in 2016 but if he's rediscovered his mojo then why not?

Edited by btb

9 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Agree to a certain extent but no one surely can say Gilmour does not have the clubs future at heart. The man saved the club from going bust. Not only that a English man who tried to take over the club. B BC proved Gilmour right. So this is a man who cares about the club .  There is only one person I would love on the board of the club that is Div. This is a guy who has integrity amongst the support who will tell it as it is. Div has indicated he wants no part in the board.  You are a fan mate we all look up to your straight talking.  However Div is a successful business man which brings its own hassles without pilling more pressure.  Have heard so much shit around the people who sit around me in the main stand who include high up SMISA members.  This shit needs to be sorted.  I no you don't want it. Div go for it the fans will be 99.9% behind you.  Kibble is a great thing for the club in my opinion would love to see it all come together.  Your the man Div. 

🤣 You're at the wind up mate!

You are absolutely spot on though, I've never had any interest in sitting on either the SMiSA board or the club board (despite what the a certain podcaster seems to think), and that will never change.

Always happy to help the club and SMiSA in any way I can but that's where it ends.

Admire anyone who is willing to put themselves forward for these roles, tough gigs I would think!

22 hours ago, Div said:

I tip my hat to all six candidates for putting themselves forward.

Each one of them has something to bring to the SMiSA table IMHO.

Some younger blood coming in would certainly do no harm, and would almost certainly help to grow the membership of the Trust. I personally don't think we do enough to encourage new members to join to be honest and the more fans who join the stronger we become. It would be great to see more younger members signing up.

The older heads who have put themselves forward also have plenty to offer. Willie, Kenny and John are all sound guys who have been around the block with the supporters either via the travel clubs they are heavily involved with or as an excellent SLO in Johns case. All these guys would represent the supporters well IMHO.

Stewart is obviously the divisive one.

Personally I don't want Stewart to return to the football club board. I think that ship has sailed and we already have one ex-chairman on there, adding another would be a bit of a mistake and would almost certainly lead to increased friction that I don't think we need.

In terms of joining the SMiSA board though I don't see much downside in having a guy there who has decades of experience of successfully running our football club.

Yes that board made some bad footballing decisions, especially in the last few years of their tenure, but from a business perspective they took the club from £2m in debt with a crumbling ground to a debt free one with a brand new stadium and a dedicated training facility. And we broke even pretty much every season after that too, winning a major trophy along the way.

Having that level of experience on the SMiSA board should be a positive thing?

Stewart is obviously concerned about the finances at the club, and you'd have to assume that those concerns are based on more than just pub or forum rumours.

The accounts to the year ended 31st May will be out fairly soon and will give us an idea of where we are at. I suspect they won't make for pretty reading but I doubt (hope) they will be as bad as the rumours would have you believe. The truth will be somewhere in the middle I reckon.

SMiSA need to be more than just an idle majority shareholder. We need to be an organisation that has the ability to challenge the club board and ensure that the finances are being manged responsibly. Stewart is a decent candidate to provide that challenge IMHO.

As I say though, for me personally, I'd like to know for sure that SG has no aspirations to re-join the club board before I'd consider lending him my vote.

And to that end I'm going to ask him that very question.

Just an update to this. I did contact Stewart yesterday and he has categorically assured me he has no intention whatsoever of returning to the club board.

Not sure it really matters as everyone has to make their own mind up but I said I would ask the question and I have.

22 minutes ago, Div said:

Just an update to this. I did contact Stewart yesterday and he has categorically assured me he has no intention whatsoever of returning to the club board.

Not sure it really matters as everyone has to make their own mind up but I said I would ask the question and I have.

Which is fair enough.

There is still potential to drive a massive wedge within SMiSA itself though if there is enough stirring of the pot done, which could in effect still have an impact on the club. 

30 minutes ago, Div said:

🤣 You're at the wind up mate!

You are absolutely spot on though, I've never had any interest in sitting on either the SMiSA board or the club board (despite what the a certain podcaster seems to think), and that will never change.

Always happy to help the club and SMiSA in any way I can but that's where it ends.

Admire anyone who is willing to put themselves forward for these roles, tough gigs I would think!

It's a thankless task mate. Everyone at SMISA does their role on a voluntary basis. There are more hours of time involved than most people realise. 

32 minutes ago, Div said:

It must be the truth then if he assured you as he always has been a really honest individual.

I hope you had time to ask him about his favourite film Armageddon…

14 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

It's a thankless task mate. Everyone at SMISA does their role on a voluntary basis. There are more hours of time involved than most people realise. 

Yeah. Thing is, as much as I love the club, it takes a certain type to stick their head above the parapet to be aimed at.

It's a massive undertaking to dedicate time and effort to it on a voluntary basis. Especially (and I understand my hypocrisy is saying this) as everyone has an opinion. 

I'm a very professional and diplomatic type usually as my job dictates. Unfortunately though when it comes to St. Mirren and in that type of role, I'd be the sort of person who would be unable to hold my tongue and either tell someone to f**k off or be told to f**k off. Anyone who has had any type of heated discussion with me during a Saints match (looking at you @glenburn bud :lol: ) will know exactly what I mean.

6 minutes ago, McG said:

It must be the truth then if he assured you as he always has been a really honest individual.

I hope you had time to ask him about his favourite film Armageddon…

Up to each individual to make their own mind up.

I don't expect him to put that information out there in public anyway, think all the candidates have been warned against electioneering.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah. Thing is, as much as I love the club, it takes a certain type to stick their head above the parapet to be aimed at.

It's a massive undertaking to dedicate time and effort to it on a voluntary basis. Especially (and I understand my hypocrisy is saying this) as everyone has an opinion. 

I'm a very professional and diplomatic type usually as my job dictates. Unfortunately though when it comes to St. Mirren and in that type of role, I'd be the sort of person who would be unable to hold my tongue and either tell someone to f**k off or be told to f**k off. Anyone who has had any type of heated discussion with me during a Saints match (looking at you @glenburn bud :lol: ) will know exactly what I mean.

Aye but it all ended as good mates after a wee heated discussion :lol:

Just now, Div said:

I don't expect him to put that information out there in public anyway, think all the candidates have been warned against electioneering.

Again, strange. The two young lads stuck their names out on twitter the other day and both tweets were swiftly deleted so I did think that would be the case.

Then there's this fluff piece, which on the face of it, can be claimed is outwith the control of anyone to prevent the Record publishing. But come on...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/former-st-mirren-chairman-stewart-28335767

6 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Aye but it all ended as good mates after a wee heated discussion :lol:

It did. Thankfully offers of square goes were not taken up by either side. 😅

That would have been fucking embarrassing for both of us.

Edited by djchapsticks

14 minutes ago, Div said:

Away!!! 😅

4 hours ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Yet completely ignored that and phoned his mates at The Record anyway. :lol:

I'd imagine that there are plenty of "electioneering" e-mails flying around trying to garner support for his return.:rolleyes: