The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I have absolutely no inside knowledge at St Mirren at all and sometimes wonder if I'm one of a very few fans who don't as everyone seems to have "source". My opinion on SG is that he had his time and done a lot of good at the club but towards the end of his time the club was on a downward spiral, since then we've moved on and mostly in the right direction with some big hiccups in there. For me it would be a backwards step getting him involved and I can't help but feel he won't just settle for trying to ruffle a few feathers but will be looking to take the top job again.  

5 minutes ago, McG said:

According to BetVictor Robinson is odds on for the job at 1/2.

I think I'd be disappointed if he went for an interview. Not disappointed in him, not at all, but disappointed that the pull of the club in the position it's in, especially as he's basically just started the job, wasn't enough. Normally interviews like this are done under the pretence, "I just wanted to see what they'd say", and that is a fair enough reason, but you have to feel there would be no 'missing parts' to fill in for Robinson, he must know that setup and the remit already.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

These messages weren't sent to me directly. They were relayed onto me.

I am obviously as far as could be possible from being ITK, but from an objective point of view, I suppose this is just part and parcel with how the ownership of the club is set up. It will be open to people pushing agendas. Not saying there are "agendas" here, just that it's open to that sort of thing. Certainly compared to private ownership.

1 minute ago, Div said:

The club had £2.7m in the bank on 31st May 2021. As verified by the last accounts which you can download here;

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/downloads/accounts-may2021.pdf

Be interesting to know what the figure is in the accounts to 31st May 2022.

It will be also interesting to know the breakdown of that figure. If a chunk of that £2.7m is now gone, what it has gone on?

If a million has been blown through on players, questions certainly need to be asked. If that has gone on infrastructure, facilities, improvement of actual fixed assets etc that needed some overdue looking at, that is a very different conversation and good use of the loan.

It was rumoured to be the 2021/22 season we overspent.

Again I’m not ITK but none of the signings in 21/22 raised my eyebrows, all signings I’d expect a club like ours to make. Several of our signings raised my eyebrows this summer. Gallagher, Carson and Gogic are all full internationals and senior pros, they certainly wouldn’t have been cheap. Gallagher must be the highest profile signing the club has made since Thommo.
Add in guys like Strain and Baccus who were on the fringes of the Australia squad and we must have spent an absolute fortune. I’ve never seen the club have a window like it.
Seeing the benefits of it on the park of course. I just hope we haven’t done any damage long term.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

"

Tickets for our home match against Rangers in the cinch Premiership on Saturday 12th November are now on sale.

Following feedback from our match against Celtic in September, as well as consultation with our Supporter Liaison Officers, we have set the criteria for those wishing to purchase tickets for this match. 

Starting from this match – and all other Celtic and Rangers matches going forward – tickets are only available to season ticket holders from this season and season 2021/22 and anyone that has purchased tickets for (and subsequently attended) at least two league matches at the SMiSA Stadium this season.

Season ticket holders from this season and season 2021/22 can purchase extra tickets online or at the St Mirren Ticket Office. Anyone that has bought tickets for – and attended – at least two league matches can only purchase directly from the St Mirren Ticket Office in person or via phone.

St Mirren Football Club reserve the right to cancel any tickets it feels have been purchased for away supporters with no refund. Away end tickets will be sold directly by Rangers.

Tickets for this match are priced at £32 for adults and £22 for concessions*

*Anyone who is not a full paying adult.

Fixture Details

St Mirren v Rangers
Competition: cinch Premiership
Date: Saturday 12th November 2022
Kick-off: 12:30pm
Venue: The SMiSA Stadium"

6 hours ago, McG said:

If someone told you the club was going bust tomorrow mate you would believe it. You’ve been getting fed absolute nonsense figures and have lapped it all up. 

Listen to Needham’s interview with Graham Spiers, we will shift 1 or 2 on in January which is normal, we’ve got Brophy sitting there on a good wage and he isn’t getting a sniff, he’s been a poor investment by our last management team so I can see him getting shifted, maybe 1 more. 

Why should the chairman come out and give a statement because a few fans are having meltdowns on the forums due to made up stories? 

Also anyone reading Gilmour’a statement should be alarmed, he’s on about coming in and causing a divide etc, the club is in the best place it’s been in for years and a lot of that is down to Gordon Scott/Kibble.

Let’s not forget the Argentinian consortium, voting Rangers in and Armageddon etc.

Like I said those smisa members didn’t leave because of Kibble…… 

I see our chairman has made a statement regarding accounts to Graham Spears . Sounds like the government loan has been used up. Not disastrous given 0% interest loan over 20 years.  That by next season we should be back on track on a financial sense. . That is good enough for me I don't see the SMISA chairman coming out with bull. As for Kibble I support it especially on moral grounds helping young people on the straight and narrow learning new skills that is a good thing.  A bit of wheeling and dealing in the January window to bring down the player budget comes as no surprise we have a good manager so no worries there for me . 

It might well be the case that there has been a degree of financial naivety and/or imprudence, but the notion that SG is the prince across the water just waiting to gallop in on his white charger and save the day is for the birds.

I'm not, of course, suggesting that anyone aside from Gilmour and his pals believe that.  Creating a divisive, toxic climate at the club will not accomplish anything positive.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Again I’m not ITK but none of the signings in 21/22 raised my eyebrows, all signings I’d expect a club like ours to make. Several of our signings raised my eyebrows this summer. Gallagher, Carson and Gogic are all full internationals and senior pros, they certainly wouldn’t have been cheap. Gallagher must be the highest profile signing the club has made since Thommo.
Add in guys like Strain and Baccus who were on the fringes of the Australia squad and we must have spent an absolute fortune. I’ve never seen the club have a window like it.
Seeing the benefits of it on the park of course. I just hope we haven’t done any damage long term.

Main, Tanser, Millar, covering %’s of Jones/Ronan wages, Kiltie and Power would’ve all came a high cost I think. 

I’d like to think we’ve been smart and got these guys in on decent deals (think Aberdeen are paying a lot of Gallagher’s wage as one example) rather than us bursting the bank for it but we’ll need to see what the script is when the accounts are out.

19 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It will be also interesting to know the breakdown of that figure. If a chunk of that £2.7m is now gone, what it has gone on?

If a million has been blown through on players, questions certainly need to be asked. If that has gone on infrastructure, facilities, improvement of actual fixed assets etc that needed some overdue looking at, that is a very different conversation and good use of the loan.

If we’ve spent a million on Curtis Main it’s well worth it.

Main, Tanser, Millar, covering %’s of Jones/Ronan wages, Kiltie and Power would’ve all came a high cost I think. 

I’d like to think we’ve been smart and got these guys in on decent deals (think Aberdeen are paying a lot of Gallagher’s wage as one example) rather than us bursting the bank for it but we’ll need to see what the script is when the accounts are out.

Tanser was a free from St Johnstone and Kiltie and Powers were frees from Killie. Like O’Hara they’re just players who shuffle around clubs at our level. Main and Millar were just squad padding, nothing high profile or eyebrow raising about any of those signings.
I thought Gallagher was mutually consented by Aberdeen before he joined us, are they still paying him? Wonder why we got him permanently and not on loan if that was the case.
If we did overspend last summer we certainly never cut back this year. That’s our ins and outs.
IMG_0324.jpg
We’ve went for it big style with more coming in than leaving. When we signed Gallagher assumed the Gogic deal was dead, we then went and signed him too. As a result we now have five senior pros in Dunne, Shaughnessy, Fraser, Gallagher and Gogic competing for three centre back places, so two of them are on the bench every week. I’ve never known us to have squad depth like it. Which is great, if we can afford it. I hope we can.