The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Dunne has the mobility Joe doesn't. He is also a better player with ball to feet. His range of passing etc is good. That is why he is in the team. If you look at Gallagher  Gogic, Fraser and Dunne they all are comfortable with the ball to feet and are more creative. 

I like big Joe but I prefer our current set up. The clean sheets we are having don't lie. 

If we move on Joe and get a better forward player then its all good. 

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

There has to be seven figures on him. He's 4 months into a 2 year contract and he's taken to British football like a duck to water. We're also under no obligation whatsoever to sell him this season.

I did expect Loe to come on for the last 5 yesterday with Gogic moving to midfield. 
I would also have expected him to come on in the last 5 if we were needing a goal. 
Probably tells a story that he can shore up the defence or help with the attack. Expect him to leave in January but think he is a very valuable squad player However, I can understand that he believes he is better than that. 

19 hours ago, FTOF said:

It's all about opinions and the only one that matters is Robinson's. Happily his team selections, for the most part, seem to be working.

A similar scenario is Joe Lewis (the captain) at Aberdeen being replaced by Roos. As I said it's hardly an unusual situation at a football club.

I don’t think Robinson is trying to force Joe out the door in a spiteful way, I think he’s just making it clear that he isn’t in his plans and he should find a club in January, which I’m sure he will have no trouble doing. It’s also going to be a not insignificant amount of money taken off the wage bill. 

With Gallacher, Dunne, Gogic and Fraser all capable at CB it’s probably too many for a club our size to carry, and I would think those 4 will be at the higher end of the wage structure too. He definitely won’t leave with any hard feelings he has been great for us, but you can’t really argue with Robinsons team selections recently because we are doing the business. 

I think Gogic was a luxury signing really (nothing against the player) and we're clearly going all out for top 6 this year.

It's great at the moment on the park, but the 90s saints fan in me is fearful of the accounts in a few weeks time! 

5 hours ago, Silvio said:

I think Gogic was a luxury signing really (nothing against the player) and we're clearly going all out for top 6 this year.

I was talking about that last night. We were all delighted he finally signed but where are we going to play him?

When Gallagher returns, there will be no place for him in the back 3 and we can’t slot him into the midfield given current form. 

A great signing but I’m not sure we can afford to have him sitting on the bench.

Out of interest, plus reading the rabble on BAWA, when are the accounts due?
If all is as bad as claimed, will we have our own version of the Rangers “big hoose must stay open” guy?
Ignoring the BAWA rabble is by far the best policy. They seem to "up their agenda" as soon as we show any signs of improvement on the park. They are never happier than when we are struggling and it's a cabal of folk all with axes to grind against the club for various reasons. Sad, sad b*****ds the lot of them.

38 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Out of interest, plus reading the rabble on BAWA, when are the accounts due?

If all is as bad as claimed, will we have our own version of the Rangers “big hoose must stay open” guy?

The AGM for the last few years has been held in January, so guessing this time around will be the same meaning the accounts will maybe be published late December/early January?

They'll only cover last season though so if we're as screwed as "glen" claims we are then it won't be immediately apparent.

Voting for the new SMiSA directors is due to begin today and run until Friday.

Our home form this season has been truly the difference maker for fans. 

To put a wee bit of perspective on the entire situation at home so far this season, we've won 5 out of 7 home fixtures.

Compare that to our previous home win numbers for the last 4 Premier league seasons:

2018/19 - 5
2019/20 - 5
2020/21 - 4
2021/22 -3

Given we were challenging for top six in the last two seasons it's remarkable that we got anywhere near it whilst winning so few home matches.

It's some progress that we're finally making the home ground a bit of a place where teams will be coming and trying to dig anything out of the game rather than sitting in and knowing they'll catch us on the hop eventually.

Another nice comparison is games required to accumulate our current points total of 19 (have also included the managers for those games and final league position):

18/19 = 31 matches (Stubbs / Kearney, 11th)

19/20 = 21 matches (Goodwin, 9th)

20/21 = 17 matches (Goodwin, 7th)

21/22 = 19 matches (Goodwin, 9th)

22/23 = 11 matches (Robinson, ???)

17 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Another nice comparison is games required to accumulate our current points total of 19 (have also included the managers for those games and final league position):

18/19 = 31 matches (Stubbs / Kearney, 11th)

19/20 = 21 matches (Goodwin, 9th)

20/21 = 17 matches (Goodwin, 7th)

21/22 = 19 matches (Goodwin, 9th)

22/23 = 11 matches (Robinson, ???)

St Mirren's form has been good, and I like what Robinson is doing. But there needs to be added context to that comparison.

St Mirren have had a kind run in terms of fixtures, 7 out of 11 at home is mad.

For example, if you compare with last season after 11 games St Mirren had five fewer points, but they'd had five home and six away games. This season St Mirren's first 11 games have included six home games against non-OF sides. That's a fair wind and Goodwin may have managed it with the fixtures they've had this year.

I see you've got 4 of your next 6 away. That should give a decent indication of how things stand.

22 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

St Mirren's form has been good, and I like what Robinson is doing. But there needs to be added context to that comparison.

For example, if you compare with last season after 11 games St Mirren had five fewer points, but they'd had five home and six away games. This season St Mirren's first 11 games have included six home games against non-OF sides. That's a fair wind and Goodwin may have managed it with the fixtures they've had this year.

I see you've got 4 of your next 6 away. That should give a decent indication of how things stand.

That's a bit of a stretch given Goodwin managed 3 wins out of the first 20 games up to the winter break last season and a grand total of 1 home win in that time! 

Just been luck due to the 2nd game in back to back aways at Tynecastle was postpone. St Johnstone are the exact opposite with 7 away games. 

We've been poor in away games for a variety of circumstances bar the win at Tannadice. That said Aberdeen, Rangers and a trip to our bogey ground at Perth, I'd have said it wasn't bad. Hibs and Ross County away will let us know how we're doing. 

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I refer you back to my previous post. We won 4 home games during the whole of last season (said 3 but Wikipedia was wrong about a Dundee game), and the same number the season before. We also took 24 out of our 44 gained points away from home which is a good return. 25 out of 45 the season before. We've historically been a not too bad team on the road and at home has been where it's sort of all come undone for us.

It's a bit of a stretch to feel we've purely benefitted from a kind run at home given how badly Goodwin's sides struggled in front of home fans. The run of fixtures at home have been no more or less difficult than usual either - we've already played four of last season's top six plus Hibs in those 7 home games. You'll very rarely meet both OF sides within the first 7 home fixtures (10 games last season before we'd played both, 9 the season before )

We don't need to be spectacular on the road this season. If we pick up anything between 20-25 points on our travels this time around, coupled with our home form, it will mount up to a really successful season.

Edited by djchapsticks

It'll be interesting to see how we respond to a few away games. In theory our style should suit away games perfectly. Obviously getting horsed in Perth and Aberdeen undermines this somewhat.

For once I'm relaxed and excited to see how our season pans out, with none of the usual stomach-clenching anxiety.

20 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Robinson never really had a good full season with us. It was usually either a strong start before a long winless streak or a terrible beginning before he eventually sorted it out. Interesting to see if he bucks that trend 

Under no illusions that we'll go on a poor run at some point. Think every single club in the league last season outwith top 3 and bottom 2 were in the boat of they could feasibly be going 6 or so games without defeat and then follow that up with 7 or 8 without a win. That's why no-one could get any sort of purchase or footing in the table until the later days of the season and it does look like it could be more of the same this season.