The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Agreed, no massive surprise on this. I guess that’s part of our ‘sell’ to players like McCarthy, McGrath, Baccus and Strain - we’ll give them a platform.

I just wish our platform lasted longer than Kwarteng.

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Agreed, no massive surprise on this. I guess that’s part of our ‘sell’ to players like McCarthy, McGrath, Baccus and Strain - we’ll give them a platform.

Yes. Also, means that we have fine players to watch every week. A good thing that they're coveted by other clubs.

Can well remember the 90s and 00s when very few of our players fitted into that category. Since McGinn and McLean in the mid 10s we've had some pretty much every season, whether academy graduates or astute signings.

21 hours ago, AW saint said:

Daily record trying to destabilise our club. If i was watching us for players Strain would be near the top. Best right back we have had in years

They aren't trying to 'destabilise our club', there's no conspiracy. Good players tend to get noticed. 

Edited by Steven Glansberg

51 minutes ago, Steven Glansberg said:

They aren't trying to 'destabilise our club', there's no conspiracy. Good players tend to get noticed. 

While I agree with the latter, the Record are well known for printing "mistruths" in order to affect a particular team. I don't think that is what is happening here, but don't dismiss the malign nature of the Record.

Edit: ...and that goes for their politics as much as it does their sports reporting.

Edited by Ric

48 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Some great footage here of the 87 celebrations:

https://discover.bbcrewind.co.uk/asset/628547f04b0a950023598d45

It's a weird thing, I don't really remember much of the game, and what I do I think is formed from seeing replays rather than created at the time.

What I do remember though, was the pride walking down the road to the local park to join in with the 30 odd other kids who all showed up in the evening for a kick-about (this was pre-Internet, mind, hence the numbers). Bouncing my ball on the pavement as I made my way to the park with a big fucking grin on my face. That's the emotion I get when thinking about 87, not the game or even the score, but the aftermath and the pride.

20 hours ago, aldo_j said:

What is a realistic length of time after starting a new contract, to offer a player an extension? Baccus clearly is the real deal and will go on to a bigger platform, though would 3 months into the season look too premature? You leave it to the start of/first quarter of next calendar year and he could be leading into the final year of his contract.

5 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

What is a realistic length of time after starting a new contract, to offer a player an extension? Baccus clearly is the real deal and will go on to a bigger platform, though would 3 months into the season look too premature? You leave it to the start of/first quarter of next calendar year and he could be leading into the final year of his contract.

IMO, I think after the winter window closes, and he's still with us, that's when to enquire about an extension. The feedback you get then will define how you go into the Summer window.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

IMO, I think after the winter window closes, and he's still with us, that's when to enquire about an extension. The feedback you get then will define how you go into the Summer window.

Both Baccus and Strains profile could be boosted if they make the World Cup Squad to be shortly announced. Going by this predicted source, they can't see a place for them - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/soccer/news/socceroos-world-cup-squad-australia-projected-team-starting-side-qatar-2022/dptwzwcvvxcjasymaeujwn0n

Regardless, they have been in the mix and that also counts for something.

Just now, smellthepaw said:

Both Baccus and Strains profile could be boosted if they make the World Cup Squad to be shortly announced. Going by this predicted source, they can't see a place for them - https://www.sportingnews.com/au/soccer/news/socceroos-world-cup-squad-australia-projected-team-starting-side-qatar-2022/dptwzwcvvxcjasymaeujwn0n

Regardless, they have been in the mix and that also counts for something.

I'm guessing you are like me, and would like to see extensions for both irrespective of their appearances (or not) at the WC. I read the article and I'm guessing whoever wrote that is an Aussie so would know more than I would about the make up of the team, but neither Strain or Baccus look like having a difficult path to the national team. Time is the problem for both of them, no idea of the actual start date of the WC (I'm avoiding that sportswashing shit show, and I'm glad Scotland never qualified) but it's not long now, presumably.

Thing is both players have a very good number of games played in their homeland, both hitting the 140 games over the last 4-5 years. Their quality should be known, it shouldn't take going half way around the world and playing in Scotland to confirm it. Baccus was involved in U20/U23 games (20 odd games) but Strain, other than his recent call up hasn't. It seems like a straight choice between Atkinson and Strain for that RB position. As for Baccus, I think it's more a case of waiting for an injury or drop of form, as the Aussie midfield is already pretty packed with experienced players.

If Strain and/or Baccus even consider signing a contract extension with us at the moment they need to sack their agent. They won't. Just like McGrath, McCarthy, Alnwick and all the others in the last few seasons their agents will rightly be telling them to do nothing as better offers than anything we can give them will be coming. In the unlikely event that these better offers don't come, they can always extend with us at a later date.

The above three mentioned are currently all sitting on big EFL contracts on multiples of what our best offer could have been. It's those examples that attract players to a club like ours. These guys see us as a great viewing platform to get them exposure to the big money English market. 

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

They can feck right off. Well i may have a different view after 4.45 tomorrow

Two weeks into the season I'd have been happy enough for Robinson to move on somewhere. Now I think it'd be a disaster. It would be a great move for him and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him it, but it would be nice to have bit of stability for a few seasons at least.

13 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

That job is going to Tommy Wright.

Unemployed, experience, continually touted for the job and the man himself has said it's a position he would love to take on.

Edit: Should point out that this is in the Record, who just a few months ago was claiming a "scoop" that Robinson was about to be sacked.

Edited by Ric