The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

41 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

😂

Plausible deniability.

Edit: though to be fair, Andrew Dallas is barely plausible as both a referee and a human being, so maybe you're correct.

:lol:

Well spotted!

6 hours ago, Ric said:

The difference with VAR is that it removes the referee's deniable plausibility. Previously they could claim the incident happened too fast and they made a decision, one which will not be overturned until long after the game is finished if at all. Now, there will not only be the opportunity for the ref to review it at the very moment, from multiple angles, that video is available to the broadcasters who will also analyse it.

Do I think that referees will continue to make decisions that question their integrity? Sure, of course they will, the difference with VAR is that it changes the reaction to that decision. As I said earlier, it would be a very bold official (and a quickly demoted one) who decides to continue on with a flawed decision when not just they, but the crowds in the stands and/or the viewers at home, were viewing an incident that clearly shows actions contrary to the ones the referee has claimed.

Yeah, fair enough, but the refs don't give a f**k. They had to be taken off the appeals process because they were refusing to overturn red cards that were blatantly wrong. Fucking over St Mirren has never and will never have consequences so in both the situations I've outlined above the ref or whoever is controlling VAR can do what they want with very little comeback.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, fair enough, but the refs don't give a f**k. They had to be taken off the appeals process because they were refusing to overturn red cards that were blatantly wrong. Fucking over St Mirren has never and will never have consequences so in both the situations I've outlined above the ref or whoever is controlling VAR can do what they want with very little comeback.

I totally understand your cynicism, we'll just need to see how it works out.

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, fair enough Ric, probably should give it a chance before totally slating it!

It's certainly not going to be a silver bullet, that's for sure. The way I look at it, the biggest block to resolving poor refereeing decisions is the referee themselves. Nobody becomes a ref without also having power tripping and arrogance to their character, so it's obvious that sort of character will never accept their mistake until it is psychologically acceptable for them to do so (ie: some time after the game and normally with a barrel load of mitigation). Which is shown by the review panel where the ref had to actively accept they made a mistake. Will VAR help in resolving that? Yeah, I think so.

Will it "improve" our game? No, not sure how it could to be honest.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

By the way that's not when it was.

ETA it was in August 2019, 1-0 Barasic free kick. Attendance 7337.

In fact, 6th highest overall as I also missed a Celtic game from 19/20 which was 6797.

Putting aside gates swelled by Old Firm fans though, yesterday was the 3rd highest attendance in 14 years at the ground: only beaten by the stadium debut and the 2nd leg of a play-off. Winning games helps but it also looks like the club's work in the community is paying off.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

To be honest to be sitting in the top half is a real bonus when so many have bigger budgets than us. We are doing superbly well. We bit of luck we would have been 3rd outright. In Robbo we trust

Absolutely this. Really, going by budgets the city clubs should all end up in the top 6 this season. We would be doing superbly well to break into the top half of the league, and even better to get into Europe. Still believe its possible though.

16 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

He has looked good, and there is the WC, so I suppose it's not surprising he's been identified by other clubs. It's flattering for the club too.

The massive positive is that he's got another year to run, so we won't have a McLean, Magennis, McGinn (and others) situation where we are forced to let them go for peanuts.

Edit: It's also the Record, which we all know is just a lottery when it comes to the truth, they only care for sales, not facts (and that MO is the same for their political coverage too)

Edited by Ric

Given that several English clubs were interested in Baccus, before we nipped in and signed him, it's no surprise that there are clubs looking at him. Especially as he's performed well for us so far.

More importantly, the Australian assistant manager was there on Saturday to assess both him and Strain.