The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Club has confirmed Lyness is away. Mutually consented, but continuing to train with us until he finds a club.

Strange, because surely we've had to pay off his contract anyway, why do we not just keep him as a squad player until January? He's clearly a solid pro so it's not like we're removing a rotten apple.

Doesn't Lyness have a business outside football which largely keeps him busy hence he's happy to be backup or did I make that up?

50 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah another weird one. What happens if Carson or Urminsky get injured or suspended? Do we re-sign Dean to sit on the bench…?

Put one of the youth team keepers on the bench. We don’t need to be carrying three senior keepers, just a younger keeper to step up into the spot Urminsky occupied last season.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Put one of the youth team keepers on the bench. We don’t need to be carrying three senior keepers, just a younger keeper to step up into the spot Urminsky occupied last season.

I believe our third keeper is now a 17 year old, Urminsky is 23. I would understand sending him on loan like we did with our third choice goalie last season. With Carson's well documented injury problems it's certainly a gamble, I just wonder why we have taken it. 

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

I believe our third keeper is now a 17 year old, Urminsky is 23. I would understand sending him on loan like we did with our third choice goalie last season. With Carson's well documented injury problems it's certainly a gamble, I just wonder why we have taken it. 

To help stop us going into liquidation.If all the rumours are to be believed.

Edited by elvis

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Kenzie Smith will be 18 in January and extremely highly rated in the academy, in what way is it a gamble?

That he might play in a freak situation where neither Carson or Urminsky is available? I’d look forward to seeing him get a chance. That said it is unlikely as even with Lyness away, we’re quite well stocked in the GK department.

Lyness was a decent enough goalkeeper that done us a turn but it’s all about being able to develop our own.

18 minutes ago, RossC93 said:

Kenzie Smith will be 18 in January and extremely highly rated in the academy, in what way is it a gamble?

That he might play in a freak situation where neither Carson or Urminsky is available? I’d look forward to seeing him get a chance. That said it is unlikely as even with Lyness away, we’re quite well stocked in the GK department.

Lyness was a decent enough goalkeeper that done us a turn but it’s all about being able to develop our own.

Smith's development wasn't being hindered by Lyness, was it? Urminsky himself has never played a minute of top flight or equivalent level football, having him as back up is a bit of a punt in itself.  Getting shot of an experienced campaigner like Lyness at this stage just seems to me to be an unnecessary gamble to me. Let's hope Trev's injury doesn't flare up again and none of it matters. 

Edit to add that Lyness will always be remembered for his man of the match performance in our COVID ravaged teams 0-0 against Ange's Celtic in December. What a performance that was 😍

Edited by Lex

1 hour ago, SS77 said:

Same guy that told him Steven Davis was DEFINITELY 

I take it your nonsense is directed to me ?  If so I named the source Jim McAllister Rangers kit man and who helps with training you know a guy in the Rangers dressing room. If Rangers did not offer a new  contract he was on his way to Paisley.  As for rumours regarding what's going on in the background at the club that comes from a SMISA member one who helps run SMISA. As I wrote further back time will tell if its fact or fiction 

Lyness showed in his run of games towards the end of last season that he wasn't really that capable at this level. He was ok for the odd game here and there, but going by the league cup games wasn't even second choice anymore, Urminsky is. Truth of the matter is, if Carson has any kind of long term injury between now and January, we will have to sign a keeper anyway as we won't go with Lyness and Urminsky.

Edited by GAD

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Smith's development wasn't being hindered by Lyness, was it? Urminsky himself has never played a minute of top flight or equivalent level football, having him as back up is a bit of a punt in itself.  Getting shot of an experienced campaigner like Lyness at this stage just seems to me to be an unnecessary gamble to me. Let's hope Trev's injury doesn't flare up again and none of it matters. 

Edit to add that Lyness will always be remembered for his man of the match performance in our COVID ravaged teams 0-0 against Ange's Celtic in December. What a performance that was 😍

He’ll definitely be remembered for the Celtic performance. He was excellent that night.

However, he was generally poor aside from that and had a disappointing spell at Raith Rovers when he had a run of games. Just because Urminsky/Smith haven’t played in our first team doesn’t mean they would be any worse or better than what Lyness would offer. We are yet to see either of them play but realistically, they’re going to be better than Lyness and it’s a much cheaper option too.  

It’s a bigger gamble holding onto Lyness IMO as he’s proven himself to be poor at both Premiership and League One level and already behind Urminsky in the pecking order this season.

Shame, as he appears to be a good guy to have about the place but it makes sense to get shot of him at this stage.

Lyness will be remembered for the shut-out when the under-18’s drew with Celtic. I’m sure he’d much rather we remember that than the game at Motherwell when he conceded four. To be fair, the defence was a total shambles that day. Robbo was probably shocked that we could be so bad. Good luck to Deano, he could surely do a good job in the Championship.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Club has confirmed Lyness is away. Mutually consented, but continuing to train with us until he finds a club.

Strange, because surely we've had to pay off his contract anyway, why do we not just keep him as a squad player until January? He's clearly a solid pro so it's not like we're removing a rotten apple.

I think the decision was made after 2-4 Motherwell that Lyness wasn't good enough and wouldn't be playing for us again.

Maybe he's agreed to take x% of his remaining wage in the hope that a team appears and gives him a contract to 2024 or beyond. The benefit for us is bringing down the wage bill a little. Robinson said a couple of weeks ago he'd gone a "slight percent" over budget.