The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

No idea. Read on B&WA that it was AB fans.

Maybe on holiday in Scotland and wanted to take in a game? Who knows. Anyway, hope they enjoyed the second half action and the exciting finish.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Both George Adam and Alan Wardrop leaving their board positions within SMISA. Within a matter of days ? Is this coincidence or is there something going on in the background that we’ve yet to find out.

Under Gilmour we were a very prudent club and quite rightly in his tenure given the state of the club financially at the time. Now we have a fan owned club in partnership with Kibbo.  Is there a new strategy speculate to accumulate after all success brings £ . The figure I heard of debt run up really shocked me and will most fans if true. I don't believe the figure or don't want to believe . At least the club will probably have a bail out in SMISA subscriptions if needed . Interesting AGM coming up. 

When has a St Mirren AGM ever been un-interesting? So, rumours of unrest, debt, resignations, shit-stirring, twitter spats, in-fighting, disagreement, miscreants, friction….… and in other shock news, scientists reveal that night does indeed follow day.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

When has a St Mirren AGM ever been un-interesting? So, rumours of unrest, debt, resignations, shit-stirring, twitter spats, in-fighting, disagreement, miscreants, friction….… and in other shock news, scientists reveal that night does indeed follow day.

I’ve got no wish to shit stir or speculate about what’s going on at boardroom level, just curious to see if there’s anything going on that will detract from all the good things happening on the park.

I’ll leave the speculative nonsense to those who know best on black & white army.

39 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’ve got no wish to shit stir or speculate about what’s going on at boardroom level, just curious to see if there’s anything going on that will detract from all the good things happening on the park.

I’ll leave the speculative nonsense to those who know best on black & white army.

The same infantile bampots over there as usual squabbling over absolutely nothing with any proof.

Add to that the tit for tat shite and “I’m a better Saints Fan than You” then it’s no wonder folk give the place a miss.

I only visited for said proof 😉

Shame……used to be quite good.

There were 2 directors (David Riley and Chris Stewart) who resigned from the board within 6 weeks of each other at the end of last year. Tony Fitzpatrick then went a few months later. That all passed without comment.... Alan Wardrop retired earlier in the year from his job as a Financial Adviser. Maybe he's just after the quiet life?

In terms of finances, the minutes (https://www.smisa.net/news-archive/5-general-smisa-news/325-smisa-special-general-meeting-march-2022) of the SMISA meeting with board members in March stated that:

John Needham added that they are trying to take prudent steps to expand the club and move into the top six but they are not taking undue risks with the financial future of the club. Last year our net loss was £50,000, one of the lowest in the league. Will probably make a larger loss this year but we are using the rainy day reserves to cover for it, Covid being the reason for the rainy day. Took steps to move on players in January who were being paid well but on the bench. Aim for 22/23 financial year to break even again. 

Edited by Buttocks Brown

30 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Wasn't there people last year prophesising doom in the finances then it was found to be a fairly small loss? It seems familiar. 

There definitely is debt in the form of the interest-free Covid loan but we've got 20 years to repay that and most clubs took more than us:

1) RANGERS £3.2M

2) ABERDEEN £3.119M

3) MOTHERWELL £2.959M

4) HIBERNIAN £2.882M

5) DUNDEE UNITED £2.818M

6) ST JOHNSTONE £2.6M

7) KILMARNOCK £1.828M

8) LIVINGSTON £1.783M

9) ST MIRREN £1.764M

10) ROSS COUNTY £1,158M

Club has confirmed Lyness is away. Mutually consented, but continuing to train with us until he finds a club.

Strange, because surely we've had to pay off his contract anyway, why do we not just keep him as a squad player until January? He's clearly a solid pro so it's not like we're removing a rotten apple.