The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 22/09/2022 at 05:34, jimmy boo said:

For those interested Australia v New Zealand kicks off at 1100 on Thursday. On channel TEN Australia and Sky Sports New Zealand if you have access.

Grieve on for NZ after 51 mins

Strain for Australia after 63 mins for Atkinson of Hearts

Baccus for Australia after 81 mins.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The substantial amount of money your club would get if the two Aussies go to the World Cup might be a pretty big benefit.

I'd prefer not to hold the WC in Qatar - tainted money.

P1608 of this thread was a waste of time and if I'm that much out of step then I'd be more inclined just stop supporting football altogether. I've stopped watching English football, European football and any games on Sportscene not directly affecting St. Mirren it wouldn't take much more to cut out Saints too.

22 minutes ago, btb said:

I hate international football, don't watch it and don't believe that having seven players from our current squad capped at the same time is of anything more than a marginal benefit (if at all) to our club. 

Can't agree with any of this.

@craigkillie has mentioned the potential money, which is one thing. Of more importance is the standing of the club, and the idea that players can come here and be picked for their national team. Not only that, we've got players who are newly being picked. McGrath, Ronan, Baccus, Strain, and Lewis Morgan a few years back. That's great for future recruitment.

Plus we stand a chance of bringing in better fees for those players when they leave.

Also, to flip it on its head, it shows we've generally gone up a level in terms of the standard of our squad. That doesn't benefit us, but it shows we're progressing. 

Only downside is risk of injury and or fatigue, but I'll take that against those positives.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Can't agree with any of this.

@craigkillie has mentioned the potential money, which is one thing. Of more importance is the standing of the club, and the idea that players can come here and be picked for their national team. Not only that, we've got players who are newly being picked. McGrath, Ronan, Baccus, Strain, and Lewis Morgan a few years back. That's great for future recruitment.

Plus we stand a chance of bringing in better fees for those players when they leave.

Also, to flip it on its head, it shows we've generally gone up a level in terms of the standard of our squad. That doesn't benefit us, but it shows we're progressing. 

Only downside is risk of injury and or fatigue, but I'll take that against those positives.

Fair enough I'm out of football completely.

I don’t think the World Cup should have been awarded to Qatar, but then again, I don’t think Russia should have got it, and I think F1 hold races in a few questionable locations. Not a lot I can do about it, unless I paint a banner complaining and take it to a Sellik game - that’ll sort it.

Anyway… I think it’s great to see as many St Mirren players as possible gain international recognition. These aren’t diddy countries with diddy international squads. If our boys are getting into these squads, it’s because they have been doing well, playing well, and aren’t shite.

😀

50 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t think the World Cup should have been awarded to Qatar, but then again, I don’t think Russia should have got it, and I think F1 hold races in a few questionable locations. Not a lot I can do about it, unless I paint a banner complaining and take it to a Sellik game - that’ll sort it.

Anyway… I think it’s great to see as many St Mirren players as possible gain international recognition. These aren’t diddy countries with diddy international squads. If our boys are getting into these squads, it’s because they have been doing well, playing well, and aren’t shite.

😀

It also shows players that they can get International caps at Saints, which will help convince future signings that St Mirren is a good fit for their career. 

8 hours ago, elvis said:

It will be that diving cheating c**t Porteous he was picked in the original squad before Gallagher.

I’m not so sure as Declan Gallagher has been capped before and played in important games at international level. Porteous  would be a risky choice in such an important game.

39 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I’m not so sure as Declan Gallagher has been capped before and played in important games at international level. Porteous  would be a risky choice in such an important game.

That's my thoughts too .But i think the fact he picked the cheat over Declan in the first place swings it for him hope I'm wrong.

I’m a bit puzzled by a Saints Poster who doesn’t see the benefits of having so many players involved at international level. Each to their own I suppose, probably just scunnered with football in general.

I think it’s brilliant for the profile and prestige of the club. Not to mention the possible financial boost, if both Aussie lads make their squad.