The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Normally the international break is historically the time our players get a bit of time off.

By my reckoning, we've had 5 players in the last 2 seasons receive their first senior international call ups whilst St. Mirren players. (The Aussie/NZ lads, McGrath and Ronan) That's some going for a club where in my younger days, if an ex-international showed up it was a big deal, never mind being a club that is doing well enough to merit producing current international footballers.

If both Strain and Baccus get minutes this week - as you'd expect - that will be 7 full internationalists now in our squad and really, 5 of them are current/recent (think Carson missed out this time on NI which is a bit of a strange one really given he's on 4 clean sheets from 7 games) and the only one you'd say is well out of the reckoning for future squads is Brophy. Declan Gallagher must be working his way back into contention at this rate - he's been rock solid and you could argue has had a far better start to the season than Porteous.

That must be some sort of a record for us. 7 international caps in a St. Mirren squad at the same time?!

The most caps any player has ever won whilst a Saints player is 7 - for both Billy Thomson and Iain Munro. With Gogic and Grieve regular starters for Cyprus and NZ respectively, that long-standing record will surely fall very soon.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Normally the international break is historically the time our players get a bit of time off.

By my reckoning, we've had 5 players in the last 2 seasons receive their first senior international call ups whilst St. Mirren players. (The Aussie/NZ lads, McGrath and Ronan) That's some going for a club where in my younger days, if an ex-international showed up it was a big deal, never mind being a club that is doing well enough to merit producing current international footballers.

If both Strain and Baccus get minutes this week - as you'd expect - that will be 7 full internationalists now in our squad and really, 5 of them are current/recent (think Carson missed out this time on NI which is a bit of a strange one really given he's on 4 clean sheets from 7 games) and the only one you'd say is well out of the reckoning for future squads is Brophy. Declan Gallagher must be working his way back into contention at this rate - he's been rock solid and you could argue has had a far better start to the season than Porteous.

That must be some sort of a record for us. 7 international caps in a St. Mirren squad at the same time?!

The most caps any player has ever won whilst a Saints player is 7 - for both Billy Thomson and Iain Munro. With Gogic and Grieve regular starters for Cyprus and NZ respectively, that long-standing record will surely fall very soon.

"We are not going to take risks with anybody, as it has been in the Nations League games," he said.

"They want to look after their bodies, although they are playing for their clubs there are one or two ongoing issues. It is the same with Trevor Carson, although he was initially named in the squad he is having to look after himself in between games.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62914266

It’s not often we will sign a current Scottish international who was under contract at his previous club for nothing.
Thanks Aberdeen, outstanding bit of business by the club 🤝

53 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Last outfield player to be called up? I can’t think. Roy Aitken?

Craig Samson was called into a squad back around 2013. Aitken was the last to be capped whilst at St Mirren I'm sure. 

Edit: Just noticed you said outfield player, so we can all ignore my post!

Edited by houston_bud

6 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Other than the prestige, does the club benefit financially from having a player in the international squad?  

Nope but if players are chosen for World Cup or Euro finals squads then there is a financial benefit.

Sadly since neither Strain or Baccus featured for Australia this morning it seems unlikely that they will make the WC squad.

On 19/09/2022 at 09:59, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I see Steve Clarke was at the game yesterday. Declan Gallagher can't be far off a Scotland recall.

If absoulte shite like Porteous can get in the squad, then Gallagher must be knocking at the door.

2 hours ago, Saint Shug said:

Big Dec back in to the national squad

Given his current form, and predictable injuries in the national team, this was inevitable.

8 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Nope but if players are chosen for World Cup or Euro finals squads then there is a financial benefit.

Sadly since neither Strain or Baccus featured for Australia this morning it seems unlikely that they will make the WC squad.

To be fair, it is a double header with NZ and the second friendly coming over the weekend so they may still get some game time.

Jay Henderson called up for U-21's.

https://twitter.com/saintmirrenfc/status/1573259887026606080?s=20&t=ZxRQP8W99rccWcfkVTcdZg

Scotland Men's Under-21s squad update.

IN: Ibane Bowat, Josh Reid, Jay Henderson and Archie Meekison.

OUT: Cole McKinnon, Kieron Bowie, Lewis Neilson and Josh Doig.

Edited by FTOF

On 22/09/2022 at 21:47, Lex said:

It’s not often we will sign a current Scottish international who was under contract at his previous club for nothing.
Thanks Aberdeen, outstanding bit of business by the club 🤝

An ex manager doing us a turn for a change.

You can make a case for most of the summer signings being a success, Gallagher definitely up there. Strain getting better every week.

Desperate to see Brophy get back on the pitch and in amongst the goals but he just has to bide his time.

21 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Feel bad for Jay. Very hard to see how he gets near a game for us at the minute.

Just noticed this post after i posted, I mentioned Brophy.

There is a few players that can count themselves unlucky not to be starting but you'd imagine they will play a part this season, unless some are on too much wages and will get punted in January.

Kiltie, Henderson, Gogic, Shaughnessy, Brophy are all too good to be sitting on the bench but you can't make a case for any of them starting just now.