The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 11/09/2022 at 09:17, btb said:

IIRC he was one of a pair of Austrians who played one game for us during Tom Hendrie's dog days...

Foreign Players | Stmirren.info

Klaus Dietrich (Marlene would've been better and she been dead over 10 years!) and Gerhard Fellner - the list is a bit of a mixed bag.

Gerhard Fellner was half decent IIRC. He didn’t want to sign and went home. We were in an injury crisis (the permanently injured Gregg Denholm had been signed as Scott Walker’s replacement)

We then brought in this other Austrian and he was hopeless in the ICT game and Hendrie got the boot

I remember saying at the time that Hendrie’s big mistake was not signing Paul Ritchie after he scored in his trial game for us.

Too immobile apparently and he went to ICT and the rest is history.

Just checking Paul Ritchie out and he was actually already 32 when he was on trial with us so already getting on a bit and we already had Mark Yardley.

Went on to score 47 goals in 103 appearances for ICT in next 3 seasons

He’d undoubtedly have had us in promotion contention in 01/02 had he signed 

Super, great, smashing etc. but the loss of 3 players (assuming Greive is picked for NZ) for possibly 2 games will leave a fair dent in our squad. 
Greive has been called up. However if you have 3 players on international duty you can ask for a game to be postponed.

On 16/09/2022 at 08:17, NorthBank said:
On 15/09/2022 at 23:15, Doonhame Buddie said:
Super, great, smashing etc. but the loss of 3 players (assuming Greive is picked for NZ) for possibly 2 games will leave a fair dent in our squad. 

Greive has been called up. However if you have 3 players on international duty you can ask for a game to be postponed.

There's no need for us to ask. Top flight games don't get scheduled in international weeks.

We'd only need to really ask if we weren't a top division team.

3 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Great result for St Mirren and hopefully the attendance puts to bed, once and for all, the myth that handing as much of your stadium as possible over to the old firm away support has any benefit whatsoever.

Honestly, this is the real story here. Absolutely magnificent from the club, and as other have pointed out, the attendance was virtually the same as when they had two stands.

21 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Fantastic result. You were wrong about Robinson, then? 

Folk were pissed off about the league cup farce, which was fair enough. Then we lost against Motherwell and Aberdeen, so folk were starting to turn. 

Nobody can argue with the results and performances now, albeit the Perth Saints battered us a couple of weeks ago. We look a good solid outfit.

16 minutes ago, Paxo said:

Great result for St Mirren and hopefully the attendance puts to bed, once and for all, the myth that handing as much of your stadium as possible over to the old firm away support has any benefit whatsoever.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Honestly, this is the real story here. Absolutely magnificent from the club, and as other have pointed out, the attendance was virtually the same as when they had two stands.

The family stand was absolutely bouncing at the end. So many young kids cheering ect and that might have been there first game.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Folk were pissed off about the league cup farce, which was fair enough. Then we lost against Motherwell and Aberdeen, so folk were starting to turn. 

Nobody can argue with the results and performances now, albeit the Perth Saints battered us a couple of weeks ago. We look a good solid outfit.

The family stand was absolutely bouncing at the end. So many young kids cheering ect and that might have been there first game.

My great nephew was there today in the family stand. His dad is a Sevco fan so there is hope that he will grow up a Saint instead. He wouldn’t have been at the game had Ceptic been given 2 stands. It was absolutely the right decision 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

Was dreading this today but giving them just one stand totally changed the atmosphere in the ground.  Winning helped with that, but it did genuinely feel so different compared to recent OF games when they had both stands.

A brilliant performance and for me Ryan Strain was MOTM.

In saying that, O'Hara's goal 😍.

Edited by Dagdagh

Our best opening 7 matches in the top flight for 54 years (68/69 season).  If it had been 3 points for a win back then we'd have been on 13 points after 7 games. This season we're on 12.

The last time we won 4 of our first 7 games in the top flight was 59 years ago (63/64 season). Coincidentally, the 4th win in that run was 2-1 v Celtic at Love Street.

I said after the league cup games that I was getting a vaguely Stubbs-esque feeling about this team.

How wrong was I!

Superb today. I just fucking love watching us when every single player knows his job. That’s all down to Robbo.

Long may it continue.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Ryan Strain is an absolute pler.

He’s way too good for us.

Robinson has played an absolute master stroke in convincing him to come to us.

I can’t see him staying with us long on this form. I’m just enjoying him whilst he’s here.

He’ll want to stay with us to play in Europe next season.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Ryan Strain is an absolute pler.

He’s way too good for us.

Robinson has played an absolute master stroke in convincing him to come to us.

I can’t see him staying with us long on this form. I’m just enjoying him whilst he’s here.

Almost every player* that we've signed has been a step up from last season.

* No idea about Olyusana, given his injury. Alnwick is probably a better keeper than Carson, but Carson has been solid too.

Factor in, Dunn, Main and Erhahon looking much better than last season, and over all we're much stronger. Just a pity that Tanser's ankle is made of chocolate.

Our improvement is all down to an upgrade in our manager and his staff.:)

50 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Almost every player* that we've signed has been a step up from last season.

* No idea about Olyusana, given his injury. Alnwick is probably a better keeper than Carson, but Carson has been solid too.

Factor in, Dunn, Main and Erhahon looking much better than last season, and over all we're much stronger. Just a pity that Tanser's ankle is made of chocolate.

Our improvement is all down to an upgrade in our manager and his staff.:)

Yep.  And that’s all before we even mention the difference in Curtis Main.  What a shift he put in today epitomised by 3 Celtic defenders trying and failing to get the ball off him at the corner flag.

Cant remember a bigger turnaround in a player - been absolutely class this season