The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So, 6 games played and 9 points in the bag.

Next 5 games are tough going, still to meet the Arsecheeks, Hearts, Livi and Killie. 

What would be our acceptable points target after 11 games ? Surely 12 points is our minimum aspiration, but what could we reasonably expect ?

Pessimistically 9. Realistically 12+. Best probably ........ ?

46 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Next 5 games are tough going, still to meet the Arsecheeks, Hearts, Livi and Killie. 

What would be our acceptable points target after 11 games ? Surely 12 points is our minimum aspiration, but what could we reasonably expect ?

15 for me.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If we could get a win and a draw then that would be decent. A couple of draws minimum. 

Edited by Captain Saintsible

7 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

If we could get a win and a draw then that would be decent. A couple of draws minimum. 

Knowing us, 3-6 points max froom that round of games. Our best chance on paper is points against Killie and Livy, though thats being hopeful. Depends how we are on our day vs Hearts. We have matched them before though they have a very good pool of players.

10 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Knowing us, 3-6 points max froom that round of games. Our best chance on paper is points against Killie and Livy, though thats being hopeful. Depends how we are on our day vs Hearts. We have matched them before though they have a very good pool of players.

Why the pessimism? Its realistic to expect to beat Livi and Killie at home and also get something at an injury ravaged Hearts.

42 points gets you top six, so to be on course for that would be 14 points after 11 games.
It’s been a very kind opening set of fixtures, I don’t think any other team in the league has avoided all of last seasons top three up to this point. We’re level on points with Livi, who have already played two of last seasons top three for example.
I’d say three wins and three defeats is about par from those league games we’ve played.
We will have a much better idea of how it’s actually going in the next few weeks after we’ve played everyone.

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

42 points gets you top six, so to be on course for that would be 14 points after 11 games.
It’s been a very kind opening set of fixtures, I don’t think any other team in the league has avoided all of last seasons top three up to this point. We’re level on points with Livi, who have already played two of last seasons top three for example.
I’d say three wins and three defeats is about par from those league games we’ve played.
We will have a much better idea of how it’s actually going in the next few weeks after we’ve played everyone.

We're better off than it looked like we might be after two games, mind. I posted on here about the need to get 11 points after first round to be on par for survival, and at that point I was struggling to see where those points might come from. We've had a decent uptick in performances albeit with a very disappointing result on Saturday. I'm certainly no longer especially concerned.

I would like to see Greive get a run of games. For me he is the most composed finisher we have (except maybe Offord). He needs to play off someone and not be the tightly marked centre forward. Giving him a wee bit of space and playing the ball on the deck would get goals.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Why the pessimism? Its realistic to expect to beat Livi and Killie at home and also get something at an injury ravaged Hearts.

I guess I'm just setting myself up for it really. The weekends game was the type of opposition we shouldn't have been losing to. I grant it was an off day, though it' always the St Mirren way. We are looking much better from what I have seen so far, just need to keep the levels high and we should get something from those 3 games mentioned. 

On 06/09/2022 at 11:50, NorthBank said:

I would like to see Greive get a run of games. For me he is the most composed finisher we have (except maybe Offord). He needs to play off someone and not be the tightly marked centre forward. Giving him a wee bit of space and playing the ball on the deck would get goals.

Reminds me so much of Alan Logan. (Are we back on page 1 now?)