The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Spam_Valley said:

We’ll sign a left back and then someone on loan in the next day or so - probably a link man for midfield and attack* - and that’ll be us done.

* Someone better or more versatile than Kiltie

We've got 5 hours. The window is today.

If Kiltie isn't happy at lack of game time and is pushing for a move then there is not much the club can do. It's not like we are desperately trying to get him off the wage bill, this seems more like a player wanting to move on so if so cheers for your service but nowhere near as influential as some seem to be making out.

57 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

He provides an option, yes but I wouldn’t say an excellent one. He’s never held down a regular place since he signed for us and bar a couple of games, he’s done nothing of note either. I don’t think it’s as major an issue letting him go as some think.

Given that we pushed the boat out to sign Kiltie from under the noses of the likes of Bolton, I'd imagine that he's on a fair wedge.

Robinson probably looks at him as an expensive "luxury" as he's not a first pick.

I agree with your assessment of him. From memory, I don't think I've witnessed Kiltie have an outstanding game, even when he was getting a run of games.. The odd flash here and there, but not consistent enough. Might be down to his pattern of injuries, of which there have been a few. Certainly equivalent to or longer than Tanser's, who many are wanting shot of as apparently he's injury prone.

Having said all that, letting him move to a team that will be competing directly with us for top six/relegation/play off place, would seem somewhat foolhardy.

58 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Looks like he's likely to be Killie bound given St. Johnstone have just signed Connor McLennan

Keep him away from Killie. Probably one of the most overrated players Killie have had in recent years. The club wasn’t good enough for him when he left for Saints. Not missed.

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Happy with our squad. Not fussed with any comings or goings. Robinson is getting a tune out of who we have. Main etc look like new players

Robinson has been quoted today as saying hes happy with the squad and players will only join if others leave.

I'd be happy if theres no more business in or out.

Kiltie is a bottom 6 player at best hence why I personally wouldn’t want him back and why I wasn’t, nor was anyone else, bothered in the slightest when he left the club. St Mirren fans were at the wind up at the time thinking they had taken one of our best players.

I want my club to aim higher than bottom 6 (not necessarily saying we’ll do that this season) and if St Mirren want to finally achieve the holy grail of a top 6 position they will need better players than Kiltie.

The above isn’t a dig at Kiltie really either, being a Premiership footballer definitely puts him in the top “insert number here” % of Scottish players. I would 100% swap lifes with him if I could for the chance to do what he does. 

Edited by Sortmeout

31 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

...if St Mirren want to finally achieve the holy grail of a top 6 position...

I hate to piss on your parade here, but some of us have watched St Mirren achieve such a goal on many occasions. In fact one of those seasons saw Killie relegated (along with Morton.. :D) while several other seasons were when Killie never even graced the top league.

20 minutes ago, Ric said:

I hate to piss on your parade here, but some of us have watched St Mirren achieve such a goal on many occasions. In fact one of those seasons saw Killie relegated (along with Morton.. :D) while several other seasons were when Killie never even graced the top league.

Ric, that mob weren’t even in the top *two* flights for a while. A total diddy level that our club have never sunk to.