The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

On the flip side, that opportunity at Sunderland, which pretty much made him a millionaire, may not have come up again if he got Saints relegated the following season or had us fighting relegation.

I don't grudge him on that move to Sunderland and he actually didn't do that badly there. Alex Neil in his short few months was the only manager of 4(I think) who managed to get them promotion.

Yup. A bit like Goody sure he got the Aberdeen Job on the back of a 7 game run, but that 7 game run might never come again. 

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Home game v Sellick moved to the Sunday with 12 noon ko.

Pish.

It's a fucking joke I'm working so 1 game lost off my season ticket no thought to people who can't go who have season tickets I would have been able to go if was 3 pm kick off but 12 .

30 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's a fucking joke I'm working so 1 game lost off my season ticket no thought to people who can't go who have season tickets I would have been able to go if was 3 pm kick off but 12 .

Unfortunately they'll catch you out with all fixtures subject to change.

Is it really surprise though? I don't think we've ever played Celtic or Rangers at home on a Saturday at 3pm in the league, Certainly not in the SPL/SPFL era to my memory.

They were also never going to have it on the Sunday at 3pm either as this isn't a telly slot for games up here. Thank the business titans who run Scottish football who negotiated us such a wonderful TV deal.

8 hours ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Never nice to see anyone being sacked, but sometimes there are exceptions. 

Aye the Sunderland job will have set him up for life, regardless.

He has flushed his managerial career down the toilet ever since though. F'ck um. 

Imagine if he stayed and wanted a pay rise every time his name was linked with a job. We'd have done a Oldco in no time. 

I don't get the hate for Jack Ross. He did a very good job at St Mirren and we quite possibly wouldn't be where we are just now if it wasn't for him.

You're never far away from the sack in football management - and this might well be the end of his career at any decent level - so I don't begrudge any manager moving for a better paid job when their stock is high.

That said, his get up for his Dundee Utd photo shoot was unforgivable and he deserves pelters for it.

The achievement of keeping us up in 2017 when it looked like we were dead and gone after picking up 4 points and no wins in 14 games will stay with me more than the championship win. It was the most mental 4 months of football since the 1999/00 season. 

9 new players, some admittedly a bit iffy, most good though, and some totally left field - he moulded them into a team high on confidence and we just started steamrolling the sides around us. It was mental.

Its all one to say we'd have bounced back like teams like Thistle always do but had that season ended the way it looked like it was going to, we'd just as possibly been in the position Falkirk find themselves now.

So aye, he's a sleekit arse but anyone trying to paper over the fact he done a quite remarkable job for us is letting their anger over his raiding of us at Sunderland and Hibs cloud their judgement.

15 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I don't get the hate for Jack Ross. He did a very good job at St Mirren and we quite possibly wouldn't be where we are just now if it wasn't for him.

You're never far away from the sack in football management - and this might well be the end of his career at any decent level - so I don't begrudge any manager moving for a better paid job when their stock is high.

That said, his get up for his Dundee Utd photo shoot was unforgivable and he deserves pelters for it.

I don't think any StMirren fan genuinely hates him, we would all have done the same if we were offered the Sunderland job, or any job that pays 10x your wage. Its a no brainer.

He performed a miracle with us, a stunning 18 months or so. 

It has worked out well for us since then and that's the main thing. 

Brechin City won the playoff in that season when Jack Ross kept us up, but they've been in freefall right out of the leagues ever since.

If they'd met us in the playoff we'd have steamrollered them, and they'd probably still be in League One. So really, Ross need to take the blame for the demise of Brechin as well.

That 18 months starting in January where we signed about 15 players, had brilliant 5-0, 4-1 and 6-2 wins and stayed up on the final day then skooshed the league title with an unplayable Lewis Morgan was probably my favourite extended spell in my 30+ years of watching St Mirren - definitely between that and the 99/00 season anyway. I went to almost every game and we were brilliant to watch. It also seemed to coincide with the North Bank guys really improving the atmosphere at games - especially away from home. Felt like the first time in ages the club and fans were on the same page. I'll always like Jack Ross for that spell. 

Still laughed at the 7-0 and 9-0 pumpings mind you.

Hard to see him getting another decent job now. 

I think out of all the ex managers Gus MacPherson is the one who gets the worst amount of stick tbh.

We were floundering near the wrong end of the 1st division then he turned it around. The 05/06 title season is always under rated compared to the others.

Just because he didn't sound and look the part, fans just couldn't take to him. He wasn't a bullshitter though, we don't like to be told the truth sometimes.

Obviously 1 game defines his reign, which is unfair imo.

8 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think out of all the ex managers Gus MacPherson is the one who gets the worst amount of stick tbh.

We were floundering near the wrong end of the 1st division then he turned it around. The 05/06 title season is always under rated compared to the others.

Just because he didn't sound and look the part, fans just couldn't take to him. He wasn't a bullshitter though, we don't like to be told the truth sometimes.

Obviously 1 game defines his reign, which is unfair imo.

I think part of the problem was that MacPherson's teams were a bit boring. Even when we won the league it was a pretty hard working, hard to beat team. The season we won the league, if we were 1-0 up you were pretty confident we were winning. We didn't really blow teams away like we did under Hendrie or Ross. Whenever you see one of these all time XI or favourite ever players discussions on here the guys who played in MacPherson's teams never feature as highly as the 99/00 team, 11-14 Lennon team or even the Ross era, and some of those that do, like Van Zanten, S. McGinn and Murray are more in it for things they did in other teams mentioned.

Still, I started supporting St Mirren in the late 80s, and most of my teenage and early 20s St Mirren were a shit championship team mostly fighting relegation to league 1. We were as relevant as Morton. Gus was the one that got us out if that.