The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I noticed our Rangers fixture is sandwiched in between their two games with Liverpool, which will hopefully be a distraction for them.

You'd like to think so but I remember thinking the same at some point during their European campaign last year but we managed to go behind within 5 minutes and lose comfortably.

Just to add my voice to the chorus I've never considered Hugh Keevins as anything other than an OF lickspittle.

Once got to my allocated seat in the press box to discover I was not only sitting beside Hugh Keevins but also Keith Jackson. Weirdly, they never said a word to one another all afternoon (or me for that matter but that was to be expected).

The game in question was the 2010 League Cup final so it was a lovely afternoon all round.

Edited by Stu

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Once got to my allocated seat in the press box to discover I was not only sitting beside Hugh Keevins but also Keith Jackson. Weirdly, they never said a word to one another all afternoon (or me for that matter but that was to be expected).

The game in question was the 2010 League Cup final so it was a lovely afternoon all round.

Who was playing?

24 minutes ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Yes we've got Aussie players but I don't to see a Twitter account about every Aussie player that might make their World Cup squad

Oops. Thought I’d pasted a link, and clicking on it would take you to the article if you were interested in how they rated their European based midfielders chances of making their squad. It’s a big long post. Me. Bad. Man. 🤨

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Apparently the Dylan Reid transfer is back on although some English clubs are also interested.

Robinson did say something about bigger clubs looking at players after the match on Saturday.

44 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Oops. Thought I’d pasted a link, and clicking on it would take you to the article if you were interested in how they rated their European based midfielders chances of making their squad. It’s a big long post. Me. Bad. Man. 🤨

Have deleted the big post. 😛

54 minutes ago, Kempes said:

Signing Gogic means he is further away from a first team spot. Be sorry to see him move on, but Celtic obviously feel he’s worth a gamble for a relatively small fee.

As long as there's a sell on fee.

13 hours ago, Kempes said:

Signing Gogic means he is further away from a first team spot. Be sorry to see him move on, but Celtic obviously feel he’s worth a gamble for a relatively small fee.

He only signed his current contract on the basis he would get game time. This persuaded him to not sign for any other club at the time. In the last 12 montsh he hasn't had a sniff. You could say the timing of his age/development is possibly a year short of making himself a regular, though he won't be here this time next summer. This is our opportunity to add in a sell on and any other perfomance based bonuses.

I don’t think Jack Ross has suddenly become a bad manager but he definitely started to believe in his own hype. If he hadn’t jumped ship from Saints for the poison chalice job at Sunderland then maybe serving his time at this level would have stood him in good stead for progressing a promising career at the time.

I don’t care what anyone says he gave me and many other St Mirren fans two of the best seasons of recent times. The great escape and the title winning season are up there with my best memories. 

38 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I don’t think Jack Ross has suddenly become a bad manager but he definitely started to believe in his own hype. If he hadn’t jumped ship from Saints for the poison chalice job at Sunderland then maybe serving his time at this level would have stood him in good stead for progressing a promising career at the time.

I don’t care what anyone says he gave me and many other St Mirren fans two of the best seasons of recent times. The great escape and the title winning season are up there with my best memories. 

On the flip side, that opportunity at Sunderland, which pretty much made him a millionaire, may not have come up again if he got Saints relegated the following season or had us fighting relegation.

I don't grudge him on that move to Sunderland and he actually didn't do that badly there. Alex Neil in his short few months was the only manager of 4(I think) who managed to get them promotion.

43 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Also Poor Jack will be crying all the way to the bank.