The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Ill fully admit to being a knicker wetter earlier in the season and glad to be proven 100% wrong. Transfers look to be coming good and a cracking 3 wins on the trott.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come too, but for now I'll enjoy the cracking few games.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Strain and Baccus. Just what a pair of signings.

None of the signings who have played regularly have shown up badly at all. Olusanya is the only one that you'd say the jury is still out on.

Yep. Strain is getting better every week.

Baccus is out of this world.

Gallagher has the cigars out every week.

Ayunga was a bit quieter today but still setting up chances.

Tait and Main look like different players, although Main should have scored with that chance in the 2nd half. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Strain and Baccus. Just what a pair of signings.

None of the signings who have played regularly have shown up badly at all. Olusanya is the only one that you'd say the jury is still out on.

Baccus is on another level and Strain is getting better every game, a really intelligent player.

35 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Everyone still wanting Robinson emptied?

I've been pretty critical of Robinson but I've never called for him to be sacked (had we lost to St Johnstone at the end of last season, I might've). Whilst he was taking a lot of stick i didn't notice many people shouting for him to be binned.

Before the Ross County game I said he needed a run of results to take the heat off himself. Well, he's done that and with 3 very good performances. His signings look to be settling in well and improving, he's found a system that suits us and he's made good substitutions. All credit to him.

There'll be other poor runs of form I'm sure, but we've shown that we're a match for pretty much anyone in this league.

Robinson had a sticky spell but now he has his own side and formation we are seeing how good a manager he is. 

I like the organisation he brings to the side. He also listens to his back room. We were getting done in midfield second half. Langfield shouted we had to change it and Robinson brought on Kiltie to give us the extra cover. 

Strain was immense today. What a signing he is. 

Thought Baccus goal aside was a bit quieter. He still played well. 

Curtis Main was superb he bullied hibs until he went off. 

37 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Curtis Main was superb he bullied hibs until he went off. 

For the life of me, I cannot remember such a spectacular turnaround in a Saints player.

Main was legitimately the joke figure, the 'FFS there's Main on, we must be happy with the score as it is' type where you just scratched your head.

This Curtis Main though? A big b*****d in the best possible way. Strong (always has been) but now playing in the correct channels. Holding the ball up well, retaining possession, finding team mates, annoying the f**k out of centre halves and just constantly looking threatening.

None of these things he looked previously - to be fair, he did blame the niggling injury in big part for that but Robinson did say last season at start, he knows how to coach Curtis to get the best out of him and fair fucks to him, he's done it.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For the life of me, I cannot remember such a spectacular turnaround in a Saints player.

Main was legitimately the joke figure, the 'FFS there's Main on, we must be happy with the score as it is' type where you just scratched your head.

This Curtis Main though? A big b*****d in the best possible way. Strong (always has been) but now playing in the correct channels. Holding the ball up well, retaining possession, finding team mates, annoying the f**k out of centre halves and just constantly looking threatening.

None of these things he looked previously - to be fair, he did blame the niggling injury in big part for that but Robinson did say last season at start, he knows how to coach Curtis to get the best out of him and fair fucks to him, he's done it.

Watching the fans applaud him when he was subbed and then applaud them back showed he is a guy really enjoying his football again. 

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As I said elsewhere, his constant niggling of Porteous throughout the game completely unsettled the vacuous oaf.

The most pleasing thing about today is that we clearly had a game plan that the players executed almost perfectly.  The way Ayunga,  Main (and Brophy) totally bullied Porteous was wonderful to behold. Similarly, the way Tait and Dunne tag-teamed Boyle was also really smart.  

Robinson might suffer from angry wee man syndrome but he clearly knows how to put a team together.  I was a bit worried that the United game kind of flattered us as United didn't seem to put up any kind of fight but the way we kept cutting Hibs open today shows that we are in the process of becoming a really effective counter-attacking team.

You've got to give Robinson and the Board their due we look a better side than we were last year and we are certainly a more entertaining team to watch.

Got to feel sorry for Shaughnessy, as long as we keep winning and keep clean sheets, he's not getting back in the side.

I'd like him to stay as the side will have injuries and suspensions, and once he's back in the side he can make a case for staying there.

If he is going I'd prefer he didn't go to another Premiership club.