The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

43 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

And ours🙂

You still had to read G51's posts though, so you know... not such a lucky day.. ;)

In regard to Shaughnessy, I think the question we have is just what will Gogic be like if he's playing in the back 3, not the midfield. Robinson mentions the Northern Ireland game, here are the highlights.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0V5jlyJtg ..Gogic featuring quite a lot in them.

I'd say that Gogic, Gallagher, Dunne as a back 3 is probably an pretty healthy overall upgrade on the Shaughnessy, McCarthy, Fraser/Dunne trio of last season overall.

I think if circumstances were different, we'd easily be able to get Gogic in midfield and Shaughnessy retains his place at the back but in reality, we're not shifting Baccus or Erhahon and O'Hara will probably be the favourite to be made club captain now.

He's clearly been told though he's going to feature less given the reason provided is he wants to be a regular. Saturday was the first game I can remember when he didn't play when fit so if true, that's clearly come across as a result of a chat with management.

It's a shame as I'd much rather keep him. Dunne has been excellent so far this season but you're always just waiting for him to pick up another injury that keeps him out for 4 weeks and I'm never really convinced about Fraser at centre half.

Also I'm not saying we're going to sign anyone else...but if Shaughnessy does go, that leaves us with squad numbers 4 and 5 free. Just saying! ;) 

I feel overall we are pretty short in midfield. There is little cover there and Gogic would be great to move there if not starting there. Losing Joe gives us fewer options especially with Dunne's / Tanser's fitness record. I get he may not want to be a squad player but Robinson has already said that he will squad rotate (otherwise the likes of Greive and Brophy will be pissed off). Hope he stays.

26 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I feel overall we are pretty short in midfield. There is little cover there and Gogic would be great to move there if not starting there. Losing Joe gives us fewer options especially with Dunne's / Tanser's fitness record. I get he may not want to be a squad player but Robinson has already said that he will squad rotate (otherwise the likes of Greive and Brophy will be pissed off). Hope he stays.

I think we're pretty set in midfield now to be honest. We have:

Baccus

Erhahon

O'Hara

Kiltie

Flynn

Reid

Gogic 

That can all play in a midfield 3. Don't see us adding to that. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Be really sorry if Joe goes and very surprising. I mean Dunne has suffered with injuries, we're not overly blessed in that department and Gogic to defence isn't what most of us had in mind...

I wonder if this development suggests that Erhahon is in SR's plans, and Gogic coming in was very much with the centre half position in mind?

I wonder if this development suggests that Erhahon is in SR's plans, and Gogic coming in was very much with the centre half position in mind?

Robinson has said in at least 2 interviews now Gogic has been brought in to play centre half (with the ability to step in to midfield when required)

Erhahon being in SRs plans was surely never in doubt, arguably been our best player so far this season.

55 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I feel overall we are pretty short in midfield.

All depends on what happens by the close of the window, but for me, we seem almost over stocked with midfielders, and there is the question of whether Strain/Tanser are defensive or midfielders.

Like DJC, I'd like to see a (central) defender brought in as cover, perhaps a loan deal, if Shaughnessy goes.

20 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Robinson has said in at least 2 interviews now Gogic has been brought in to play centre half (with the ability to step in to midfield when required)

Erhahon being in SRs plans was surely never in doubt, arguably been our best player so far this season.

There has been quite a bit of chat on here regarding the possibility of Ethan moving on. I don't suppose that means a great deal, right enough.

I would much prefer he stays, but also sad to hear that Joe might be heading to pastures new.

4 hours ago, andrewh said:

Joe was great for us. He also played his part when we won the cup double and finished top six. Gave away goal on last day pre split that saw us leapfrog St Mirren. Failed to intercept for Kane’s opening goal in semi final. Maybe committed the foul for Middleton’s free kick? Above all, he is very decent person is big Joe. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

It was actually Conor McCarthy that failed to pick up the goal scorer.

It would be a really poor decision to let Shaughnessy go IMO. The defence have done well the last two games but Dunne is very injury prone and inconsistent, and I’m not convinced at all that Gallagher is a better option than Shaughnessy (and he’s a year older too). The only way it makes sense is if we’ve got a good left back in mind to balance the squad.

Edited by Gareth_Glasgow

35 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

The only way it makes sense is if we’ve got a good left back in mind to balance the squad.

Quite likely that the choice was:

1. Keep Shaughnessy; don't sign Gogic nor a left back.

2. Sell Shaughnessy; sign Gogic and a left back.

Like others, I love Joe and will be sad to see him go, but can understand the thinking.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

18 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

It was. I predicted it back when we were rumoured to be interested in O’Connor 🙄

Wow!

I will put money on it that you explode into a rant response

Now, I must say I have enjoyed reading through the 'sensible' comments from the other posters on this forum.  You clearly have a very sensitive personality which requires 'ego driven acknowledgements of personal success'.  As no other fellow Saints Supporters appear to be offering this to you 'In any shape or form', you have taken it on yourself to say.  'I'm Right ; That's what I said ; I'm the best ; I'm never wrong'.  In other words, please someone recognise my existence.

Well done St Mirren though on your good start to the season.  I'm sure you are a good St Mirren supporter, and good luck to you this season.

19 hours ago, FTOF said:

It was actually Conor McCarthy that failed to pick up the goal scorer.

Thanks, I wasn’t sure. Enjoy your season. 3-0 away at United is a good win regardless of their crisis. After hearts this week we play St Mirren. CD continues to kill our enjoyment. It’ll be a drab 1-0 either way.

Wow!
I will put money on it that you explode into a rant response
Now, I must say I have enjoyed reading through the 'sensible' comments from the other posters on this forum.  You clearly have a very sensitive personality which requires 'ego driven acknowledgements of personal success'.  As no other fellow Saints Supporters appear to be offering this to you 'In any shape or form', you have taken it on yourself to say.  'I'm Right ; That's what I said ; I'm the best ; I'm never wrong'.  In other words, please someone recognise my existence.
Well done St Mirren though on your good start to the season.  I'm sure you are a good St Mirren supporter, and good luck to you this season.
Quite the wee meltdown given no fellow Saints were perturbed enough to respond in that manner !