The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

More likely Baccus.

Scouts will be queueing up to see him.

An upgrade on Ronan for sure.

At this rate. We'll be holding our breath over him in January. He's a gem of a find. Always busy, always available, a good tackler and skillful to boot. 

He came here to try and get into consideration for Australia at World Cup after making a few squads back home. You need to think he's definitely got a shout. Strain as well who has been getting better and better.

4 hours ago, Munoz said:

If Baccus can add goals to his talents, he definitely won't be with us long. 

As others have said, a real find.

I’m not as sold on Baccus as some others seem to be…just yet. Absolutely no doubt he has the ability, and I had an inkling that we were signing a gem when I seen how highly rated he had been in Australia, but I definitely think there is room for him to just slightly increase the quality of his play. There was a few aimless passes up the line today, a couple of tackles that brought him to the attention of the referee and on a couple of occasions a lack of composure when looking to play a forward ball. 

Not trying to dampen the hype around him but I just think we’ve not seen enough to merit some of the plaudits. It must be said that he’s a 24 year old boy that’s just moved from the other side of the world without his family, so if he’s putting in performances like this already I’m looking forward to seeing him when he’s settled. 

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sunday Mail has us, along with Well and The Fakes, registering an interest in Robert Snodgrass.:unsure2:

Looks like we're just a name they've dropped in. Most the articles seem to be Motherwell as the lead name.

Fine with me, he wouldn't fit how we play. And if he did, I'd sooner Henderson got some game time.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Hard to be anything but positive about that result. Anyone reading my comments will know I am not a fan of Main, but he was excellent yesterday. It sort of sticks in my throat it's taken so many months, two different managers and endless formation changes to get that out of him, but I'll happily have him in the team if that's now his regular level. I thought Fraser played well too, not outstanding but for a player who has been out of the team and needed to put in a performance he could easily have sunk, but he was strong throughout, imo anyway.

In regard to Snodgrass, I'd rather not. We do not need any more midfielders, not if Reid and Henderson stay with the team.

27 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sunday Mail has us, along with Well and The Fakes, registering an interest in Robert Snodgrass.:unsure2:

Snodgrass has been quoted in the past with massive respect for Fitzy in his early development at Livi. 
Tony Fitz was in charge of youth development at the time if I’m not mistaken. 

Maybe if Tony Fitz was still COO then we could see it as a possible move but not now. We are well covered in that area of the squad.

FWIW I don't think that there's much truth in the story and I agree that we're relatively well covered in that area.

However, Robinson did say that Oluanga had a badly broken toe which will require surgery. I'd imagine that would be a couple of months to sort out at least.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He came here to try and get into consideration for Australia at World Cup after making a few squads back home. You need to think he's definitely got a shout. Strain as well who has been getting better and better.

Here's hoping not just to further their development but FIFA pay clubs around £200k per player.

Well, that aged well!
Brave call by the boss to drop Shaughnessy but it worked out. Current preference must be Gallagher in the centre with Fraser to his right.
Reckon a bid could come in for Ayunga before this transfer window closes?!? What a player.
Can a player move twice in the same transfer window having played for the one he signed for first ???

One thing Snodgrass would give us to be fair is a much better delivery from set piece. Tanser is decent enough most of the time when fit, but Snodgrass would be a step up.

I'm pretty sure we are not in for him though. Would seem a fairly expensive gamble at this stage, and one we don't really need to take. If we can sign one more player, I think we would be signing someone who can play on the left (though Tait has been pretty good last couple of weeks).

It's good to see some real depth in the squad though. Look at our bench yesterday and we are able to throw on guys like Brophy, Kiltie and Grieve to really keep the tempo up and pressure on. Compare that to the times under Goodwin where we had 4 or 5 subs and two of them were keepers. Night and day.

57 minutes ago, Ric said:

Hard to be anything but positive about that result. Anyone reading my comments will know I am not a fan of Main, but he was excellent yesterday.

Main is like a different player from the guy who played under Goodwin. His performances improved the instance Robinson was put in charge, which may be down to something personal or a change in his role. 

There was a game at SMP near the end of last season where he didn’t stop running, pressing the defenders and goalkeeper, always looking to be available for a pass. The crowd noticed this and started to cheer and applaud even when he was chasing down lost causes, and you could see a real difference in his demeanour. He seems to have carried that in to this season and if he carries on the way he has in the last 2 games he will be as good as a new signing for us, and Brophy and Grieve will struggle to displace him. There can’t be many fans that thought that would be the case this time last year. 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Main is like a different player from the guy who played under Goodwin. His performances improved the instance Robinson was put in charge, which may be down to something personal or a change in his role. 

There was a game at SMP near the end of last season where he didn’t stop running, pressing the defenders and goalkeeper, always looking to be available for a pass. The crowd noticed this and started to cheer and applaud even when he was chasing down lost causes, and you could see a real difference in his demeanour. He seems to have carried that in to this season and if he carries on the way he has in the last 2 games he will be as good as a new signing for us, and Brophy and Grieve will struggle to displace him. There can’t be many fans that thought that would be the case this time last year. 

I remember in the famous 0-0 victory over Celtic last season Main getting a break when he went through on the keeper to shoot and there was barely a ripple of excitement as nobody, including the man himself, thought there was any chance of him actually scoring. In fact, I think most of us would have been happy for him just to punt it over the bar as it would waste a bit more time, but he just tamely passed it back to the keeper instead. The difference between that guy and the guy we've seen under Robinson is incredible.

40 minutes ago, FTOF said:

However, Robinson did say that Oluanga had a badly broken toe which will require surgery. I'd imagine that would be a couple of months to sort out at least.

Did he have that when he joined, because the only time I've seen him play it looked like he was not able to kick the ball properly! Not that I'm complaining, these sorts of signings are a bit of a gamble and it seems like we won a watch with Ayunga.

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If only all work was like that. Sure boss, I'll keep picking up my wage packet but putting in no effort until the customers start praising me.. ;)

I have issues with Main in the team because I believe we have to build the team around specifically feeding him. As a striker you could say, "sure, he needs chances created or he won't score", and you'd be right, but he can be very one dimensional, and the comparison with Ayunga shows that. I also think that when chasing the game he'll be used because of his perceived strength and hit with long balls, which is what we saw under Goodwin and it didn't work.

This still sounds negative, crazy when you think he was good yesterday, but we've been waiting for Main to be a genuine asset in the team and it's taken a long time for that to happen, and while his form has been decent recently, I'd maybe reserve backtracking completely until we are more than a few games into the season. That said, if Robinson wants to set up the team that way, and get results while doing so, then I am certainly not going to complain.

Edited by Ric

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I remember in the famous 0-0 victory over Celtic last season Main getting a break when he went through on the keeper to shoot and there was barely a ripple of excitement as nobody, including the man himself, thought there was any chance of him actually scoring. In fact, I think most of us would have been happy for him just to punt it over the bar as it would waste a bit more time, but he just tamely passed it back to the keeper instead. The difference between that guy and the guy we've seen under Robinson is incredible.

I remember that too. It was a pitiful attempt. Compare that to yesterday where both his finishes were struck cleanly and with composure. 

Big Curtis looks very much a confidence player, it’s glaringly obvious that Robinson has been the only manager who gives him that belief to go out and put the effort and application required into his game that works. 

He looks as if he’s on it and what a difference to his game from last season.

At last we have a few striker options. Long may it continue.