The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Have we not been in for Gogic all summer? As far as I can remember we were trying to sign Gogic in July when pretty much all our summer signings had already been made. I think there is a good chance this had already been budgeted for.

18 minutes ago, GAD said:

Have we not been in for Gogic all summer? As far as I can remember we were trying to sign Gogic in July when pretty much all our summer signings had already been made. I think there is a good chance this had already been budgeted for.

I think the offer would have been withdrawn at an undetermined point in time, possibly around the time we shifted focus to ensure Gallagher came in as that was the point where manager's chat of the budget being fully stretched started.

Either the board have backed him (possible as we are also still looking at a few players according to Robinson - no names apart from Josh Reid though) or we know that at least one player is moving on (also possible as he confirmed a few players who want game time might be shipped out to get that nearer the end of the window, which, really is the next week and a half).

Regardless of what happens this season, the days of c***s like Stubbs lamenting his failure on boards not offering up the cash to match their ambitions are no longer. I'm under no illusions we've spent healthily to improve.

Said it on the other thread, but it's being built on that midfeild 3. They destroyed County last week and it was the same today. I really hope we don't lose any of them as I think the ability to change it up when they inevitably get tired/booked will make us so difficult to play against as they play with such tempo and just snap into everything.

3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Said it on the other thread, but it's being built on that midfeild 3. They destroyed County last week and it was the same today. I really hope we don't lose any of them as I think the ability to change it up when they inevitably get tired/booked will make us so difficult to play against as they play with such tempo and just snap into everything.

This. Quite amazing to think a couple of weeks ago we had our midfield as the weak point of the team. Baccus has made a massive difference, for me the best midfielder we've had since John McGinn.

You can go through the spine of the team. Carson isn't a bad keeper, a back 3 of Dunne Joe Gallagher is solid, midfield is superb with Gogic to add to it and up front you have Ayunga who is causing absolute chaos. If he lays goals like the 2nd on a plate for Main/Brophy/Grieve we are laughing.

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

Delighted for big Curtis.  Hopefully shut a few folk up and he can crack on from here 

It was two good goals as well. First one an opportunist hanging off the last man's shoulder and got a lucky deflection into his path. He had an age to think about it and picked his spot perfectly when the goalie dropped.

His second was a first time lash and he hit it perfectly. Today and the end of last season was the Main I think we all hoped we were going to be getting. Can anyone really argue that currently he's our clear second choice striker behind Ayunga?

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It was two good goals as well. First one an opportunist hanging off the last man's shoulder and got a lucky deflection into his path. He had an age to think about it and picked his spot perfectly when the goalie dropped.

His second was a first time lash and he hit it perfectly. Today and the end of last season was the Main I think we all hoped we were going to be getting. Can anyone really argue that currently he's our clear second choice striker behind Ayunga?

On current form Main probably deserves to start ahead of Greive and Brophy, but i can see the starting forwards change throughout the season. 

For me Greive has done very little wrong when he's been involved, and today was no different. 

Brophy now getting back to full fitness gives the manager a great selection headache. 

How good is Ayunga? He is looking a class act. Baccus is superb and O'Hara is steel from Motherwell. 

Robbo is really getting a tune out of Erhahon and Main. 

We had no luck against well and Aberdeen or it would have been even better. 

On 19/08/2022 at 17:15, Buttocks Brown said:

That was my first thought when Robinson mentioned Gogic as a potential centre-half. 

Don't think the manager is all that keen on Marcus: I remember he went from a regular starter to sub almost immediately after SR took over and he's started this season on the bench. Tait (or Henderson at a stretch) can cover Strain and Gogic can cover centre-half.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see MF go somewhere like Partick Thistle on loan until the end of the season. 

Well, that aged well!

Brave call by the boss to drop Shaughnessy but it worked out. Current preference must be Gallagher in the centre with Fraser to his right.

Reckon a bid could come in for Ayunga before this transfer window closes?!? What a player.

2 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Well, that aged well!

Brave call by the boss to drop Shaughnessy but it worked out. Current preference must be Gallagher in the centre with Fraser to his right.

Reckon a bid could come in for Ayunga before this transfer window closes?!? What a player.

More likely Baccus.

Scouts will be queueing up to see him.

An upgrade on Ronan for sure.