The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, WHU said:

Anyone any idea what happened with the young centre back Campbell ? 

He literally just turned 16 about 3 weeks ago so probably won't be getting that much game time this season. I remember Gary Kenneth breaking into the Dundee Utd team as a very young lad and suffering badly as he was still growing physically.

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving young talent minutes here and there but that generally doesn't happen with centre halves who more often than not, will see out the full 90 unless injury or tactics force a change.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He literally just turned 16 about 3 weeks ago so probably won't be getting that much game time this season. I remember Gary Kenneth breaking into the Dundee Utd team as a very young lad and suffering badly as he was still growing physically.

I don't think there's anything wrong with giving young talent minutes here and there but that generally doesn't happen with centre halves who more often than not, will see out the full 90 unless injury or tactics force a change.

I thought the question about Campbell related to the fact that , last we heard , he hadn't signed a pro contract with us and there was a queue of clubs interested. SR said we were "hopeful" of tying him down , but there's been no announcement !

36 minutes ago, billyg said:

I thought the question about Campbell related to the fact that , last we heard , he hadn't signed a pro contract with us and there was a queue of clubs interested. SR said we were "hopeful" of tying him down , but there's been no announcement !

That is what I was referring to. There was all this fuss then nothing

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

All a bit strange after he was rumoured to have signed for Dundee United. Would definitely be pleased to have him back, the midfield enforcer we need to allow the others to play.

Did think it odd that Gogic still hadn't signed for anybody when all the European leagues are up and running. Makes sense then if he was planning to go to India where the season begins in October.

Whether it's cold feet with the Indian club or he's been sold a pup, it's a pretty difficult situation for him: young family, no wage and a more limited choice of clubs than he would have had 3 months ago. Presumably, he hasn't trained properly since he left us in May so will take awhile to get up to speed.

Hopefully we can sort him out with something!

Surely we'll be on the phone to Sevco to see if they want to take Reid now. Wonder if we might even drop/lower our sell-on demands.

Just can't see the boy getting any minutes with us, which kinda kills the whole 'we're best for his development' claim.