The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

17 minutes ago, Div said:

Baccus was outstanding on Saturday. He's only going to get better too - an absolute diamond.

Erhahon is like a new player this season, complete transformation in his game and Robbo needs to get a lot of the credit for that.

Dominating the midfield gives you a tremendous platform to win games and what a chance we have of doing that against some of our peers in the Premiership with those two in there.

Our biggest problem, as it always seems to be, is going to be scoring goals.

Ayunga has surprised me, he's much better than I thought he was going to be after the initial first impressions, but I'm still not convinced he's going to score enough goals and whilst there's lots to like about Curtis Main the same applies, he's a nuisance and he'll create chances but I can't see him getting too many himself.

Then there is Brophy. Perennially unfit, and in 18 months not a single goal scored in Paisley 😞

Offord and Grieve might pitch in with some but is either ready to start every week in the Premiership?

I guess it's unrealistic to expect us to find a 15 goals a season striker but that, IMO, is what we need to do if we're to kick on in this league. Look at the difference RCC's goals made to Ross County last season. That's all we are missing IMO.

Hopefully Ayunga will be that man.

I think Ayunga looks like he'd be brilliant with a pure poacher playing very close to him. He can cause havoc, but he might not be the guy to apply the finish all the time.

I think we all hope Brophy could be the man - I can imagine him feeding off the sort of scramble-y loose balls that Ayunga creates in and around the box. Just need that fitness up. If not Brophy, I'd like to see Offord in and about the team a bit more. I sense Robinson wants a few more points on the board before the younger players get more game time, which is entirely reasonable.

6 hours ago, Div said:

Baccus was outstanding on Saturday. He's only going to get better too - an absolute diamond.

Erhahon is like a new player this season, complete transformation in his game and Robbo needs to get a lot of the credit for that.

Dominating the midfield gives you a tremendous platform to win games and what a chance we have of doing that against some of our peers in the Premiership with those two in there.

Our biggest problem, as it always seems to be, is going to be scoring goals.

Ayunga has surprised me, he's much better than I thought he was going to be after the initial first impressions, but I'm still not convinced he's going to score enough goals and whilst there's lots to like about Curtis Main the same applies, he's a nuisance and he'll create chances but I can't see him getting too many himself.

Then there is Brophy. Perennially unfit, and in 18 months not a single goal scored in Paisley 😞

Offord and Grieve might pitch in with some but is either ready to start every week in the Premiership?

I guess it's unrealistic to expect us to find a 15 goals a season striker but that, IMO, is what we need to do if we're to kick on in this league. Look at the difference RCC's goals made to Ross County last season. That's all we are missing IMO.

Hopefully Ayunga will be that man.

Aren't you the happy clapper🙂

Scott Burns on twitter reckons we are still not done on signings if we can shift a couple out. 
Some rumours about Brophy Main and Marcus Fraser are favourites to be moved on.
Not sure I'd be happy with Marcus Fraser going. If more than one CB gets injuries we are very light there.

If Brophy and Main went I wouldn't worry. I bet there will be a few in the family stand glad that Brophy would leave so they don't get battered by his wayward shots.

I'd be surprised if Robinson shipped Main out, after all we've seen a marked improvement in his play since the new manager came in. Quite what that says about Main under Goodwin is a different debate, but he's definitely a better option for us (*) than he was before.

Brophy is constantly injured and was never a prolific scorer before he came to us, again another hangover from Goodwin's time here.

As for Fraser, it was not a good look when he tried to body block the left winger for County the other day (he was maybe 30 yards from goal) and the lad just ran around him leaving him for dust with Fraser desperately scrambling to make up ground he never could. I like Fraser, but I can see him ending up like he was at County before, great at the start, plateaued a bit, then puts in pretty average but never outright poor performances, and it may be the case that when he leaves us we'll have the same opinion as the County fans in the "yeah, decent player but perhaps a move to a new club will improve his output".

(*) the bar was so low during his time under Goodwin that it literally just takes him putting in an average to poor performance now in order to look better .. <_<

I can't believe some folk still want to release (and presumably pay compensation to) the only striker we have that actually scored any goals last season, our joint top scorer. I reckon we'd have been at least 7 points worse off last season without his goals, leaving us right in the relegation mix. We have already lost our other top scorer from last season, a season where we only scored 33 league goals. Now the big idea is to kick out a guy who scored over a 5th of those goals and watch him sign and score for St Johnstone or someone? f**k sake.

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

One rumour. On Twitter. By a guy that barely gets anything correct 😂

Doesn’t concern me who posted the rumours, the person I’m referring to never posts anything about possible in’s and outs. 
A very honest individual who has no reason to post idle rumours. 

I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

16 minutes ago, btb said:

There's always a bit of action, both ways, towards deadline day, intrigued as I guess it will be an indicator to how good Lasley is gonna be as COO...

Can't believe how fast this year is flying by. In my head, transfer deadline day is at least six-eight weeks away yet. Can't believe it's nearly September.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

I'd be surprised if Robinson shipped Main out, after all we've seen a marked improvement in his play since the new manager came in. Quite what that says about Main under Goodwin is a different debate, but he's definitely a better option for us (*) than he was before.

Brophy is constantly injured and was never a prolific scorer before he came to us, again another hangover from Goodwin's time here.

As for Fraser, it was not a good look when he tried to body block the left winger for County the other day (he was maybe 30 yards from goal) and the lad just ran around him leaving him for dust with Fraser desperately scrambling to make up ground he never could. I like Fraser, but I can see him ending up like he was at County before, great at the start, plateaued a bit, then puts in pretty average but never outright poor performances, and it may be the case that when he leaves us we'll have the same opinion as the County fans in the "yeah, decent player but perhaps a move to a new club will improve his output".

(*) the bar was so low during his time under Goodwin that it literally just takes him putting in an average to poor performance now in order to look better .. <_<

Fraser was also responsible for letting a county player run in behind him and head onto the post.

Almost identical to his mistake that led to Arbroath's winning goal in the cup game. 

Unfortunately the financial outlay on Main and Brophy has resulted in an extremely poor return in terms of goals.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if any of the aforementioned players were moved on.

19 hours ago, FTOF said:

Fraser was also responsible for letting a county player run in behind him and head onto the post.

Almost identical to his mistake that led to Arbroath's winning goal in the cup game. 

Unfortunately the financial outlay on Main and Brophy has resulted in an extremely poor return in terms of goals.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if any of the aforementioned players were moved on.

The thing with Fraser is that he's been a good performer for us in the past. In fact I am sure there was a run of games where he was effectively our man of the match each game. He's also not had as much game time under Robinson. While I wouldn't 'lose any sleep' over him going, I don't think he's a lost cause either.

Main is very much what you see is what you get. I have issue that it took him so long to put in a consistent set of performances, and for a man with the experience he has it should have happened long before it did. Robinson does seem to get more out of him, and I'd be pretty relaxed about him leaving.

Brophy... I just don't know. It seems like the Dargo situation all over again, yet in Dargo's defence he was pretty prolific before he came to us.

My issue I suppose with any of them leaving is that any one of them could turn up at one of our rivals and get the spark they needed to up their game. I'm not suggesting we offload Fraser to, say, St Johnstone, and I have no idea if their fans would take him or not, but I could easily see him being moved over to there and playing as well for them as he did when he first arrived at us.

1 hour ago, WHU said:

Anyone any idea what happened with the young centre back Campbell ? 

Did he not play for the colts in the challenge cup the other day? There was someone listed at CB who was called Campbell.