The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Genuine question. What front pairing do you think works best for us.
Obviously Ayunga starts but who plays with him.  
Main is strong and creates space but his control and mobility lets him down. 
Brophy is quick and mobile but he is quite selfish
Grieve is quick, good positional sense but lacks composure
Offord is young but an exciting prospect.
Olusanya us quick but looks too raw just now
When fit it should always be Brophy plus another. That might be Ayunga, he's looking decent, but I'm hoping he'll adjust to the pace shortly as he always has to take more touches than is necessary before he makes his decision - by that point the chance is usually gone. Early season rustiness may also be adding to this.

29 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Genuine question. What front pairing do you think works best for us.

Obviously Ayunga starts but who plays with him.  

Main is strong and creates space but his control and mobility lets him down. 

Brophy is quick and mobile but he is quite selfish

Grieve is quick, good positional sense but lacks composure

Offord is young but an exciting prospect.

Olusanya us quick but looks too raw just now

Agree about Brophy but I don't see it as a bad thing. We've had many strikers over the years who'd try and walk the ball into the net, so I wouldn't want to criticise a striker too much for shooting.

To answer your question, when all fully fit then Brophy starts for me. Although Ayunga was good yesterday and Main was ok too, so fair enough if they keep their spots for next week.

Yeah, Brophy is our best striker and should play when fit. 

I see Gogic still hadn't signed for anyone, I'm wondering if we'd even still be in for him at this point considering the season is three games in already and I'm guessing he's had no pre season. I quite like the Erhahon/Baccus combo, with Kiltie or O'Hara filling in. I'm not sure signing Gogic would be high on the agenda anymore.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Yeah, Brophy is our best striker and should play when fit. 

I see Gogic still hadn't signed for anyone, I'm wondering if we'd even still be in for him at this point considering the season is three games in already and I'm guessing he's had no pre season. I quite like the Erhahon/Baccus combo, with Kiltie or O'Hara filling in. I'm not sure signing Gogic would be high on the agenda anymore.

Would still like the big guy back but our midfield is doing ok. O'Hara is immense when on form. Baccus is class and Ethan looks a different player under Robbo

9 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Would still like the big guy back but our midfield is doing ok. O'Hara is immense when on form. Baccus is class and Ethan looks a different player under Robbo

Yeah, I'd take him back, but I expect to do so he'd have to be one of our higher paid players, and he's probably miles behind the rest of the team now in terms of match fitness. Still, fact he can cover CB and CM and an injury to Erhahon or Baccus right now looks like it would be a disaster I guess there is definitely a spot there for him.

Interesting to see a lot of new keepers in the league this year and a few poor performances so far. Carson got a bit of stick after the Aberdeen game, and I definitely think he's a downgrade on Alnwick, but he's already made some very good saves. His one late on yesterday was so important. 

Looking at Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, St Johnstone I think we've done alright getting Carson in.

19 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Agree about Brophy but I don't see it as a bad thing. We've had many strikers over the years who'd try and walk the ball into the net, so I wouldn't want to criticise a striker too much for shooting.

To answer your question, when all fully fit then Brophy starts for me. Although Ayunga was good yesterday and Main was ok too, so fair enough if they keep their spots for next week.

There was no link up between the strikers on Saturday, they were so far apart and don’t like to pass to each other or create a space which doesn’t happen with Greive. 

On 12/08/2022 at 14:20, SS77 said:

Scott Allan is done at this level

Can't understand the love in with Allan. He's done nothing for years. Even his first spell at hibs was in the championship. I've seen nothing to suggest that he was ever any good at this level. At Dundee United bit like Gould he was over hyped and got a move to a big club. On a series of loans he did nothing much. Did ok at hibs, then the hilarious "Turn it in," episode. Went to a celtic team and was no where near that level.  His second spell at hibs was ok but the fact he can't game a game for what is quite a limited team says it all. Dropped behind the likes of Maganis, Newall, Henderson, and Doyal-hayes. So cant really see what he's going to offer us. 

4 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

Shame for the lad as he's a magic player on his day. Can't see room for him in our squad, unless we wanted backup for Kiltie. I think I'd rather see Dylan Reid/Fraser Taylor getting minutes, tbh. I know they're not like-for-like (vs Allan) but we have the flexibility in our midfielders to flex people around that middle three.

3 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

There was no link up between the strikers on Saturday, they were so far apart and don’t like to pass to each other or create a space which doesn’t happen with Greive. 

Ayunga is better than Main at winning high balls and can also chase into channels. I'd say he'd be better with Greive or Brophy beside him getting in behind and being more mobile.

Wwe only really need Main beside him when chasing a game and shelling balls long. 

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Shame for the lad as he's a magic player on his day. Can't see room for him in our squad, unless we wanted backup for Kiltie. 

I'm surprised nobody has taken a shot on him if not at Premiership, in the Championship. Wonder if it's wages- surely would do a job for a Partick/Dundee etc. 

I'd not be opposed to him coming to Saints, think it's useful to have someone with creativity, the issue is who does he dislodge to get a run of games. 

56 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Totally agree. We were talking about that during the game. Ayunga had some great wee flick ons to nobody as Main was on the other side of the pitch. Main does a lot of work but Greive or Brophy would be a better partnership with Ayunga. And Ayunga is the first striker we have had in a long long time who can hold a ball up top.

57 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

It was pretty much a one man show up front. I am all aboard the Ayunga hype train. Fair enough he won't score loads, if he could finish he'd be playing at a higher level, but when he gets the ball or runs with the ball I am on the edge of my seat. The kind of player I'd hate playing against us. 

How are we feeling after the weekend? Much needed win. A few managers under pressure now, well according to on here. Our 2 ex managers didn't have a good weekend. 

United fans talking about our game being a must win already for JR, which is mental considering 2 weeks ago most of pnb would have had United finishing top 4 after beating AZ at Tannadice. 

Again though, we are tyring to build a bit of momentum and United are desperate for a win, conceded 11 goals in 2 games, only means one thing. Comfortable home win 😵.

Totally agree. We were talking about that during the game. Ayunga had some great wee flick ons to nobody as Main was on the other side of the pitch. Main does a lot of work but Greive or Brophy would be a better partnership with Ayunga. And Ayunga is the first striker we have had in a long long time who can hold a ball up top.
I don't think it helped that we were playing so narrow at times, forcing Main to come out wide to chase/cover - particularly on the left side.

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

A fit Scott Allan is an excellent option. His range and accuracy of passing is a cut above. He would create chances no doubt about it. 

However would he dislodge anyone currently playing? 

I was thinking the same thing when I read the article this morning. A fit Scott Allan that wasn't asking for a luxurious wage would definitely be a goer for me. Whether he makes it as a starter every game or not, he undoubtedly has the quality to improve the squad.

If Dylan Reid goes in this window after the interest already shown in him, I'd be keen on a move for Allan.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It was pretty much a one man show up front. I am all aboard the Ayunga hype train. Fair enough he won't score loads, if he could finish he'd be playing at a higher level, but when he gets the ball or runs with the ball I am on the edge of my seat. The kind of player I'd hate playing against us. 

How are we feeling after the weekend? Much needed win. A few managers under pressure now, well according to on here. Our 2 ex managers didn't have a good weekend. 

United fans talking about our game being a must win already for JR, which is mental considering 2 weeks ago most of pnb would have had United finishing top 4 after beating AZ at Tannadice. 

Again though, we are tyring to build a bit of momentum and United are desperate for a win, conceded 11 goals in 2 games, only means one thing. Comfortable home win 😵.

Feeling ok, I actually never thought things were as bad as some were saying, it's all pretty similar to the Goodwin seasons, we are capable of winning or losing to anyone, and we are probably going to go on winning/losing runs all season again. At no point have we looked truly terrible though, like we did under Stubbs, Craig, Rae, etc.

We definitely need to score more goals though (again, similar to the Goodwin years). Tait's goal on Saturday was a belter, but I'd probably have been happier if it had been a routine tap in from one of the strikers.

37 minutes ago, GAD said:

We definitely need to score more goals though (again, similar to the Goodwin years). Tait's goal on Saturday was a belter, but I'd probably have been happier if it had been a routine tap in from one of the strikers.

I think the conditions and the way both teams played didn't help on Saturday as it wasn't a very open game and it was a slow pace.

I mean I can't really remember Ross County having a chance in the first half but they had a lot of the ball and were fairly stuffy defensively. Not a surprise they've only lost by the odd goal and Celtic took till 84th minute to get their 2nd. 

19 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think the conditions and the way both teams played didn't help on Saturday as it wasn't a very open game and it was a slow pace.

I mean I can't really remember Ross County having a chance in the first half but they had a lot of the ball and were fairly stuffy defensively. Not a surprise they've only lost by the odd goal and Celtic took till 84th minute to get their 2nd. 

Yeah, bad conditions and Ross County are not a bad team at all, I don't think many expect them to be in any trouble this season. Saturday will be interesting considering, for about the first time this season, it won't be us feeling the pressure. To be honest, I think it'll be pretty tough, Dundee United are another team that are way better than they have showed last two games.

Baccus was outstanding on Saturday. He's only going to get better too - an absolute diamond.

Erhahon is like a new player this season, complete transformation in his game and Robbo needs to get a lot of the credit for that.

Dominating the midfield gives you a tremendous platform to win games and what a chance we have of doing that against some of our peers in the Premiership with those two in there.

Our biggest problem, as it always seems to be, is going to be scoring goals.

Ayunga has surprised me, he's much better than I thought he was going to be after the initial first impressions, but I'm still not convinced he's going to score enough goals and whilst there's lots to like about Curtis Main the same applies, he's a nuisance and he'll create chances but I can't see him getting too many himself.

Then there is Brophy. Perennially unfit, and in 18 months not a single goal scored in Paisley 😞

Offord and Grieve might pitch in with some but is either ready to start every week in the Premiership?

I guess it's unrealistic to expect us to find a 15 goals a season striker but that, IMO, is what we need to do if we're to kick on in this league. Look at the difference RCC's goals made to Ross County last season. That's all we are missing IMO.

Hopefully Ayunga will be that man.