The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Newton has just signed for South Shields, my local side. Think I'll need to head to a game with my glorious new away shirt on.

Apologies for the off topic post.

Me and the wife were staying in a hotel in Low Fell for a weekend break, a couple of weeks ago. We went to South Shields on the Saturday. Had a long walk up the pier. I quite liked the place. Had some lunch in a pub called The Marine. The guy that served me was from Shetland. Really good selection of real ale. Unfortunately I was driving.

42 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Won’t be surprised to see at least 2 more incoming players possible loan deals

Good to hear the club is still active. Also means they are backing Robinson.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Won’t be surprised to see at least 2 more incoming players possible loan deals

Three required I would say. One left-sided , a proper sitting midfielder and any striker who has been scoring a few , even at League 2 level in England or Under 23 in the EPL !

38 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Apologies for the off topic post.

Me and the wife were staying in a hotel in Low Fell for a weekend break, a couple of weeks ago. We went to South Shields on the Saturday. Had a long walk up the pier. I quite liked the place. Had some lunch in a pub called The Marine. The guy that served me was from Shetland. Really good selection of real ale. Unfortunately I was driving.

Eslington Villa?

Glad you liked Shields. The town centre is as dead as Rangers FC, but the beach/prom is stunning and it's great for the kids. I've got some mates up this weekend, visiting for the first time, so will be doing the seafront pubs/Ocean Road curry tomorrow. Sun's out so it'll be a belter, until I start checking the score from 3pm, obviously. 

1 hour ago, billyg said:

Three required I would say. One left-sided , a proper sitting midfielder and any striker who has been scoring a few , even at League 2 level in England or Under 23 in the EPL !

What makes you think a striker that’s ‘been scoring a few’ bearing in mind we’re under five games into a new season so naebody has been scoring a few, will be allowed to go by their club ?

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Eslington Villa?

Glad you liked Shields. The town centre is as dead as Rangers FC, but the beach/prom is stunning and it's great for the kids. I've got some mates up this weekend, visiting for the first time, so will be doing the seafront pubs/Ocean Road curry tomorrow. Sun's out so it'll be a belter, until I start checking the score from 3pm, obviously. 

I’ve a friend that stays in South Shields and is a photographer for the club, I suspect he will have his saints top on next time he is at a game now.

You are right about the town centre and the sea front, spent a few happy weekends at the sand dancer and watching the bands at the amphitheater and in the park. It is amazing some of the free concerts that the council puts on down there. 

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Eslington Villa?

It was Eslington Villa. Lovely hotel and fantastic food.

My wife used to stay there for work a few years ago and we always said we'd both go down and stay at some point.

I noticed that there were lots of curry houses on Ocean road. Enjoy your afternoon!

I am for giving the manager time, and in general I tend to fall into the "happy clapper" camp than I do the "knicker wetters" one, but Robinson is not making it easy on himself. Adding to the team, sure, not against that, but imo, we have a team on paper than can compete in this league and despite that we are now many games into his tenure (albeit he's only had one window, and it's not shut yet) and he still seems unsure as to what our best formation/strategy is.

It would be madness to dump him now, but I am certainly not that impressed by what I have seen so far.

36 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm very pleasantly surprised that a player we waited a long time on has looked every bit the part so far.

Take a bow, Keanu Baccus.

He seems to manage to break the lines multiple times a game, and gets running at the opposing defenders. If I had one criticism it would be the quality of his final ball, wether it’s a pass or a shot. He is still young and has plenty room to improve so hopefully we realise his potential while he is still at St Mirren. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Stephen Robinson: "...it was critical for the players' belief. The boys are human, they read things. They make pressure up in their heads. Pressure to me is when you can't pay your mortgage. They're young boys with feelings and they're trying ever so hard to give everything. And I'm so happy that they got a result today."

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

He seems to manage to break the lines multiple times a game, and gets running at the opposing defenders. If I had one criticism it would be the quality of his final ball, wether it’s a pass or a shot. He is still young and has plenty room to improve so hopefully we realise his potential while he is still at St Mirren. 

If he's encouraged to shoot more, when he gets to the edge of the box, he could become the goal scoring midfielder we've been looking for.

Genuine question. What front pairing do you think works best for us.

Obviously Ayunga starts but who plays with him.  

Main is strong and creates space but his control and mobility lets him down. 

Brophy is quick and mobile but he is quite selfish

Grieve is quick, good positional sense but lacks composure

Offord is young but an exciting prospect.

Olusanya us quick but looks too raw just now

Edited by AW saint