The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Marcus Fraser can play right side of a back three.
County seem to have pace in abundance, so our defence will need to at their best.
The thought of Tait up against a speed merchant gives me the fear.

I completely forgot about Fraser. Silly me.

56 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Unfortunately we absolutely need a creative midfielder and a midfield enforcer. We also need cover for CH as Dunne is pish and will be injured soon.

Whoever, negotiated an extra year's option for Tait into his contract needs their balls toed. Giving Flynn another year falls into the aforementioned category too.

Two positions that could have been filled with new, younger signings.

Both Tait and Flynn new deals were crazy. Tait was done last season, Flynn barely played last season. If Tait had the option to extend the year then I can’t see why we couldn’t have done what Hibs did with McGinn. Robinson didn’t think he was worth the risk of an extra year when he was Motherwell yet someone at Saints has him down as worthy of up to 3 years. Flynn’s deal mixed in with coaching is nonsense - we haven’t the squad size to warrant ageing players a transitional year into coaching when they aren’t up to it.  

We’ll struggle this year, one or two injuries/suspensions severely weakens the team. 

10 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Both Tait and Flynn new deals were crazy. Tait was done last season, Flynn barely played last season. If Tait had the option to extend the year then I can’t see why we couldn’t have done what Hibs did with McGinn. Robinson didn’t think he was worth the risk of an extra year when he was Motherwell yet someone at Saints has him down as worthy of up to 3 years. Flynn’s deal mixed in with coaching is nonsense - we haven’t the squad size to warrant ageing players a transitional year into coaching when they aren’t up to it.  

We’ll struggle this year, one or two injuries/suspensions severely weakens the team. 

That's not strictly true.

We offered Tait a new deal in the January before the Covid hit. He rejected/stalled on it then once the league shut down decided he'd better take the deal but it was at a point at which we were restructuring our budgets as a result of the pandemic (understandably) and the original offer was no longer on the table.

He was offered a revised deal with a coaching pathway included which again, he chose to reject.

Motherwell's side of the story is here: 
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/06/21/clarification-on-remarks-made-by-richard-tait/

Either way he was offered a new deal by Robinson.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's not strictly true.

We offered Tait a new deal in the January before the Covid hit. He rejected/stalled on it then once the league shut down decided he'd better take the deal but it was at a point at which we were restructuring our budgets as a result of the pandemic (understandably) and the original offer was no longer on the table.

He was offered a revised deal with a coaching pathway included which again, he chose to reject.

Motherwell's side of the story is here: https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/06/21/clarification-on-remarks-made-by-richard-tait/

Either way he was offered a new deal by Robinson.

I worded that poorly - I had it in my head he had a 1 year deal option at Motherwell versus 2 year at Saints. Now, this additional year on top of it. 

I haven't seen many games this season, so yesterday may have been an exception.
In the first twenty minutes, before Gallagher was sent off, I saw Erhahon fail to track back twice, give away a needless foul 20 yards out in a central position and pass the ball across the midfield directly to an Aberdeen player.
That's what he did last season.
I didn't see whether he improved or not, as I turned off after we went 2-0 down.
We desperately need Gogic or someone like him. If I were Robinson, I'd be on my knees begging him to come back. Unfortunately, I think we've spunked the "Gogic signing fund" on signing Gallagher.

Ethan has a great left foot and can pass. Defensively he is appaling. Fails to track back, doesn't close down and doesn't mark players. Looks lost when the opposition are attacking. I've seen an improvement in his work rate and attitude under Robinson but for a defensive midfielder he needs to learn how to defend (and tackle on his right side).

42 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I worded that poorly - I had it in my head he had a 1 year deal option at Motherwell versus 2 year at Saints. Now, this additional year on top of it. 

Ah! I get you. Fair enough.

What I would say is that at that point Tait had lost his place at RB to Liam Grimshaw and LB to Jake Carroll so it's a fair guess that it'd have been a reduced offer he'd have been made compared to his prior extension so your shout that we'd only have offered 1 year doesn't seem wide of the mark.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, NorthBank said:
4 hours ago, FTOF said:
I haven't seen many games this season, so yesterday may have been an exception.
In the first twenty minutes, before Gallagher was sent off, I saw Erhahon fail to track back twice, give away a needless foul 20 yards out in a central position and pass the ball across the midfield directly to an Aberdeen player.
That's what he did last season.
I didn't see whether he improved or not, as I turned off after we went 2-0 down.
We desperately need Gogic or someone like him. If I were Robinson, I'd be on my knees begging him to come back. Unfortunately, I think we've spunked the "Gogic signing fund" on signing Gallagher.

Ethan has a great left foot and can pass. Defensively he is appaling. Fails to track back, doesn't close down and doesn't mark players. Looks lost when the opposition are attacking. I've seen an improvement in his work rate and attitude under Robinson but for a defensive midfielder he needs to learn how to defend (and tackle on his right side).

That is just it I don't think he is a defensive midfielder. He looks a different player. He looks stronger and fitter. He is a natural centre mid player but not really defensive. His passing has improved and he links play well. 

We have too many similar players but no real dig or attacking options. 

26 minutes ago, AW saint said:

That is just it I don't think he is a defensive midfielder. He looks a different player. He looks stronger and fitter. He is a natural centre mid player but not really defensive. His passing has improved and he links play well. 

We have too many similar players but no real dig or attacking options. 

Baccus is a player who tackles and breaks up play, according to his stats from Australia. He also seems to be able to get forward too and put passes into the box. Although, yesterday's turn of events would have had limited that aspect of his play.

I think he's a bit more subtle than a Gogic type player.

23 hours ago, AW saint said:

That is just it I don't see anyone else being signed. Aberdeen have a massive budget compared to us. It showed today. That is why Goodwin left. 

We have no depth to our squad and no one capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck. 

Our goalie looks a downgrade on Jak and Gogic leaves a massive whole in the middle of the park. 

If we stick with this squad and dont address the obvious we are in serious trouble. 

The old firm do behave like arseholes but our chairman has put our neutrality at stake with his irresponsible comments his position is untenable 

2 hours ago, Born a saint said:

The old firm do behave like arseholes but our chairman has put our neutrality at stake with his irresponsible comments his position is untenable 

Why do you feel the need to bring up an issue that’s long done and dusted? He made a very public and unreserved apology. 

35 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Sad times.

A good write up with him being quite the Buddie.

https://dundeefc.co.uk/news/pat-liney-1936-2022/

Played for his heroes 74 times and had 17 shut outs between 64 - 66 according to the former saints twitter page. RIP Pat, one of us and interesting story. 

Liney was a proper lucky charm for St Mirren, asked for the day off from Dundee to watch the 1959 Cup triumph, and was in attendance for the 1987 and 2013 cup wins. Also described his debut for the club being the "best feeling in the world". Obviously a strong connection with us, but he truly was a Buddie for life.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/pat-been-st-mirrens-lucky-2538982

On 29/06/2022 at 13:49, Coventry Saint said:

A new girl in my team at work is married to Conor Newton's best mate (I know, right?). Once I found this out I insisted on making her watch the Final goal. She couldn't have given less of a shit. However, it did emerge that her husband was also at the final in 2013 to support Conor so he's good people, in my book.

Good story, Steve. 🙄

Newton has just signed for South Shields, my local side. Think I'll need to head to a game with my glorious new away shirt on.