The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

53 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Why don’t St Mirren just let him go to Motherwell. No compensation to pay for getting rid of him.

Only a tiny problem with that one, there's no chance Motherwell will take him 😂.

Regardless even if they did, we need to ride this one out for a while yet.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Was listening to John McGovern on the radio last week talking about Nottingham Forest being back in the EPL.
He said for a team battling at the wrong end of the league they need to have a good goalkeeper and a goal scorer if they are going to stay up. If they have those they can ‘make do’ in the other positions.
He’s right. A common theme amongst almost all relegated teams is problems with goalkeepers and goalscorers.
Carson looks weak and I don’t know where the goals are coming from.

Ayunga will get at least 10 goals. There is a player in there. As for Carson I have real concerns. 

33 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Ayunga will get at least 10 goals. There is a player in there. As for Carson I have real concerns. 

We don’t have anyone capable of scoring ten goals in a season. That’s the problem we’ve had for years. Add in the fact that Robinson never replaced Ronan and Gogic, and you have pretty much no creativity and a weakened squad. 

We are in real trouble this season. 

22 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

We don’t have anyone capable of scoring ten goals in a season. That’s the problem we’ve had for years. Add in the fact that Robinson never replaced Ronan and Gogic, and you have pretty much no creativity and a weakened squad. 

We are in real trouble this season. 

Ayunga is on 5 already so I am confident he will make at least 10. 

You are spot on about Ronin and Gogic though. 

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

You're right but we're needing a striker that can get 10 league goals. Bagging a brace against Cowdenbeath doesn't give an indication of how well he'll perform in the league.

That's not to say he won't get 10 goals. We're 2 games in and he's off the mark. So from a personal point of view it's been a reasonable start for him.

Just can't see St Mirren staying up this year.  Squad is much weaker in midfield and won't score many.  Also Alnwick was probably responsible for quite a few points last season.  All in all looking very grim - Robinson's recruitment looks patchy and unbalanced.  Keeps talking about young players but never plays them.

Was listening to John McGovern on the radio last week talking about Nottingham Forest being back in the EPL.
He said for a team battling at the wrong end of the league they need to have a good goalkeeper and a goal scorer if they are going to stay up. If they have those they can ‘make do’ in the other positions.
He’s right. A common theme amongst almost all relegated teams is problems with goalkeepers and goalscorers.
Carson looks weak and I don’t know where the goals are coming from.
Ayunga has 5 already, he will score goals probably as many as the likes of Obika did. The problem is a lack of goals from elsewhere. We really need to find goals from midfield like we had last couple of seasons. Carson is giving most folk the fear I suspect. That second goal yesterday looks awful !

Ayunga four goals against Edinburgh City and Cowdenbeath and then the penalty when 3 down yesterday.
I mean fair enough they all count, but I’m not sure how much those goals tell us about him and whether he is going to be the answer to our problems.
The Motherwell game on Sunday he had two great chances first half. The first he breaks through one on one and slices the finish high and wide, it makes it onto the ‘poor quality Scottish football’ twitter feed, he should have scored. The second was the header which Kelly has made a decent save from, but he’s got to score that. He’s got to head it down and if he does it’s a goal, instead it’s a nice height for Kelly to get a paw on.
He certainly seems to have nailed down the starting striker role and it’s a question of who is going to partner him.
It was Grieve against Well, Main against Aberdeen and I think it will be Brophy against County.
Maybe he will be the answer and maybe he will get 15+ goals this season, given the lack of goals elsewhere it seems like we will need him to. Jury is out.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

Ayunga four goals against Edinburgh City and Cowdenbeath and then the penalty when 3 down yesterday.
I mean fair enough they all count, but I’m not sure how much those goals tell us about him and whether he is going to be the answer to our problems.
The Motherwell game on Sunday he had two great chances first half. The first he breaks through one on one and slices the finish high and wide, it makes it onto the ‘poor quality Scottish football’ twitter feed, he should have scored. The second was the header which Kelly has made a decent save from, but he’s got to score that. He’s got to head it down and if he does it’s a goal, instead it’s a nice height for Kelly to get a paw on.
He certainly seems to have nailed down the starting striker role and it’s a question of who is going to partner him.
It was Grieve against Well, Main against Aberdeen and I think it will be Brophy against County.
Maybe he will be the answer and maybe he will get 15+ goals this season, given the lack of goals elsewhere it seems like we will need him to. Jury is out.

Ayunga looks decent enough to me, but as you said its goals from other positions that looks the problem. How many of our current midfield are going to give us the same return as Ronan did last season? 

The only midfielder with an eye for goal is probably Henderson, and the manager doesn't looks like he fancies him as a regular starter.

11 hours ago, AW saint said:

He will reach 10 goals no problem will turn out to be our highest tally goal striker in many a year in my opinion.  My feelings on Carson are coming true have no confidence in him as att we have better on the bench. You can't lose your centre half after 30min at Pitodrie and expect to get anything from the game. We can ill afford key players out through suspension. Dust ourselves down work hard during the week and see how we perform against County.  Typical I'm up In Wester Ross only one hours drive from Dingwall unfortunately its a home game for the Buds. 

With Gallagher out the picture, I assume we’ll go back to a flat back 4 on Saturday. Do we even have another centre half that could step into an3? That could mean a return to the starting line up for Henderson, but I’m sure that’s what we’ll see.

I’d probably go with:

Carson

Strain Shaughnessy Dunne Tanser (if fit)

Baccus Erhahon

Henderson O’Hara Kiltie

Ayunga/Brophy

Can’t see Robinson going with that though.

18 hours ago, Lex said:

Oh yeah we are in big trouble. I don’t think anyone could have watched our opening six games and not think there is something seriously wrong at the football club. Four meaningful matches against Arbroath, Airdrie, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Four defeats, nine conceded one scored. And the one goal we scored was from a never penalty when 3-0 down. We certainly don’t have our problems to seek. It must be one of the worst starts to a campaign in our history.
So far it reminds me a bit of the start we made under Craig in 2014, the difference being we actually qualified from the first round of the league cup that season.
I was fairly surprised at the positive reaction to losing 0-1 at home to 10 man managerless Motherwell last week. That was an awful result and the fact Kelly made a couple of decent saves didn’t mean we played at all well. Of course today Motherwell have lost at home to St Johnstone, and no one is surprised. They’re a bad a team and last Sunday was a really bad day for us. Today we’ve played a stronger team and we’ve got a thorough hiding, again to the surprise of no one.
I said before these three opening games we really should be targeting six points minimum, the best case scenario now is three. Does anyone think we will beat County on Saturday and manage it?
After that the games start to get harder. Tannadice, Hibs, Hearts and both sides of the Old Firm all on the horizon.
This stinking run we are on could get very ugly very quickly, unless we win at the weekend…

Here is the bottom line Lex  you don't like the manager along with a few others . The biggest mistake would be to change the manager Robinson needs time to develope the squad into his plans. Change the manager soon 100% we will go down . 

I'm still firmly in the 'give him more time' camp. The performance against Motherwell was decent. Yesterday, we were never taking something from Pittodrie playing with 10 men for an hour. 

He should get the full first round of fixtures. If we're bottom at that point, then it needs to be reviewed. But I think it'll improve.

That said, we absolutely need a back-up left back.

(PS I've got a rant brewing about how Jim Goodwin has fucked any chance we had of making money of Erhahon, but this isn't the time.)

Scott Allan is still without a club. Surely worth an offer. He creates chances out of nothing. 

The 3 we have in midfield I like but they are all to similar. 

Erhahon finally looks the player his potential showed, Baccus looks exciting prospect and O'Hara is tidy but there is no end product in terms of consistent chances created. 

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

With Gallagher out the picture, I assume we’ll go back to a flat back 4 on Saturday. Do we even have another centre half that could step into an3? That could mean a return to the starting line up for Henderson, but I’m sure that’s what we’ll see.

I’d probably go with:

Carson

Baccus Erhahon

Henderson O’Hara Kiltie

Ayunga/Brophy

Marcus Fraser can play right side of a back three.

County seem to have pace in abundance, so our defence will need to at their best.

The thought of Tait up against a speed merchant gives me the fear.

1 hour ago, ulysses said:

I’d probably go with:

Carson

Baccus Erhahon

Henderson O’Hara Kiltie

Ayunga/Brophy

Marcus Fraser would probably be the best option to replace Gallagher. I don’t see Robinson changing formation again so soon but it would probably be the best time to given we’ll be without one of the first choice centre halves. We looked pretty reasonable with all 11 on the pitch yesterday albeit only 20 mins - I wouldn’t be rushing to do anything but a straight swap Fraser for Gallagher. 

Marcus Fraser can play right side of a back three.
County seem to have pace in abundance, so our defence will need to at their best.
The thought of Tait up against a speed merchant gives me the fear.
Tait nowadays gives me the fear full stop. He really isn't suited to a back 3 / 5 formation any more. His lack of pace and mobility is glaringly obvious.

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Scott Allan is still without a club. Surely worth an offer. He creates chances out of nothing. 

The 3 we have in midfield I like but they are all to similar. 

Erhahon finally looks the player his potential showed, Baccus looks exciting prospect and O'Hara is tidy but there is no end product in terms of consistent chances created. 

I haven't seen many games this season, so yesterday may have been an exception.

In the first twenty minutes, before Gallagher was sent off, I saw Erhahon fail to track back twice, give away a needless foul 20 yards out in a central position and pass the ball across the midfield directly to an Aberdeen player.

That's what he did last season.

I didn't see whether he improved or not, as I turned off after we went 2-0 down.

We desperately need Gogic or someone like him. If I were Robinson, I'd be on my knees begging him to come back. Unfortunately, I think we've spunked the "Gogic signing fund" on signing Gallagher.

29 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm still firmly in the 'give him more time' camp. The performance against Motherwell was decent. Yesterday, we were never taking something from Pittodrie playing with 10 men for an hour. 

He should get the full first round of fixtures. If we're bottom at that point, then it needs to be reviewed. But I think it'll improve.

That said, we absolutely need a back-up left back.

(PS I've got a rant brewing about how Jim Goodwin has fucked any chance we had of making money of Erhahon, but this isn't the time.)

Unfortunately we absolutely need a creative midfielder and a midfield enforcer. We also need cover for CH as Dunne is pish and will be injured soon.

Whoever, negotiated an extra year's option for Tait into his contract needs their balls toed. Giving Flynn another year falls into the aforementioned category too.

Two positions that could have been filled with new, younger signings.