The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Torfason beat me to it. I expect the police, stewards, and the club, to treat everyone in the stadium the same. St Mirren fans, Arbroath fans, Livingston fans, whoever. They don’t though. They haven’t for year after year. I distinctly remember someone on here saying that the police attitude to visiting ‘Old Firm’ fans is just to get them in and out again as quickly as possible. Turn a blind eye, don’t rile them, just get them to fcuk out of their policing patch.

Just as a very simple and easy example. For years, the entire away stand full of visiting ‘OF’ fans stood up throughout the 90 mins. We generally sit in the West Stand anyway, but I witnessed on more than one instance, stewards getting up and moving towards a few Saints fans who had stood up following an on-field incident, and hadn’t yet sat down as quickly as the yellow jacketed stewards wanted. The stewards were waving their arms in a ‘sit down, sit down’ motion. The fans shouted back and pointed at 2,000 in the away stand. Perfectly valid point.

There’s one set of rules for visiting OF fans, and another for everyone else. Can you deny it?

The fact that Old Firm fans are allowed to behave like arseholes is no reason why Saints fans should

Pointing to the bad behaviour of Old Firm as justification for your own bad behaviour is pretty poor

Just let the Old Firm fans get on with it. It’s to the detriment of their own fellow supporters. I know Old Firm who have been to away games but won’t go again because of the behaviour of their fellow fans. I know an Old Firm fan whose has taken along his older father to away games but just won’t do it again cos his father isn’t able to stand and watch games. Old Firm fans with young kids can’t go either because of this. Plus, in general, they behave disgustingly.

Its good that the Police don’t intervene. Why should they. Let the OF fans ruin it for their fellow fans.

2 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

The fact that Old Firm fans are allowed to behave like arseholes is no reason why Saints fans should

Pointing to the bad behaviour of Old Firm as justification for your own bad behaviour is pretty poor

Just let the Old Firm fans get on with it. It’s to the detriment of their own fellow supporters. I know Old Firm who have been to away games but won’t go again because of the behaviour of their fellow fans. I know an Old Firm fan whose has taken along his older father to away games but just won’t do it again cos his father isn’t able to stand and watch games. Old Firm fans with young kids can’t go either because of this. Plus, in general, they behave disgustingly.

Its good that the Police don’t intervene. Why should they. Let the OF fans ruin it for their fellow fans.

Who’s saying that the OF being allowed to do what they want, when it breaks all the stadium and club rules means I think Saints fans should be allowed to do similar? Clearly, that is not what I’m saying at all. Pretty much goes without saying that my point is the police and stewards will jump on St Mirren, Livvy, Kilmarnock, Motherwell or Melchester Rovers fans in our stadium who act out of order, but they allow OF fans to crack on. It’s mob rule. You’ll know that’s what I meant though, and I’ve just wasted two minutes of my time typing the bleedin’ obvious. Hey ho.

44 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Who’s saying that the OF being allowed to do what they want, when it breaks all the stadium and club rules means I think Saints fans should be allowed to do similar? Clearly, that is not what I’m saying at all. Pretty much goes without saying that my point is the police and stewards will jump on St Mirren, Livvy, Kilmarnock, Motherwell or Melchester Rovers fans in our stadium who act out of order, but they allow OF fans to crack on. It’s mob rule. You’ll know that’s what I meant though, and I’ve just wasted two minutes of my time typing the bleedin’ obvious. Hey ho.

You’ve just basically repeated the post I replied to originally. I refer you to my previous answer. Hey ho. 

Just now, Captain Saintsible said:

You’ve just basically repeated the post I replied to originally. I refer you to my previous answer. Hey ho. 

Whatever. If it makes you happy. You win, you’re correct, I’m saying all fans should be allowed to do what the fcuk they want, because OF fans do.…. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m out.

Oh yeah we are in big trouble. I don’t think anyone could have watched our opening six games and not think there is something seriously wrong at the football club. Four meaningful matches against Arbroath, Airdrie, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Four defeats, nine conceded one scored. And the one goal we scored was from a never penalty when 3-0 down. We certainly don’t have our problems to seek. It must be one of the worst starts to a campaign in our history.
So far it reminds me a bit of the start we made under Craig in 2014, the difference being we actually qualified from the first round of the league cup that season.
I was fairly surprised at the positive reaction to losing 0-1 at home to 10 man managerless Motherwell last week. That was an awful result and the fact Kelly made a couple of decent saves didn’t mean we played at all well. Of course today Motherwell have lost at home to St Johnstone, and no one is surprised. They’re a bad a team and last Sunday was a really bad day for us. Today we’ve played a stronger team and we’ve got a thorough hiding, again to the surprise of no one.
I said before these three opening games we really should be targeting six points minimum, the best case scenario now is three. Does anyone think we will beat County on Saturday and manage it?
After that the games start to get harder. Tannadice, Hibs, Hearts and both sides of the Old Firm all on the horizon.
This stinking run we are on could get very ugly very quickly, unless we win at the weekend…

I don't feel we've been that bad in our 2 league outings. Last week's game we were by far the better side- today, we were ok at times although the sending off ended any chance of getting anything from the game.

For me we are probably 2 decent players in key positions away from being a decent side that will pick up points.

We haven't replaced Gogic or Ronan with the like, and it shows. 

Robinson deserves at least the first round of games to see if this team can turn things around. 

25 minutes ago, Lex said:

Oh yeah we are in big trouble. I don’t think anyone could have watched our opening six games and not think there is something seriously wrong at the football club. Four meaningful matches against Arbroath, Airdrie, Motherwell and Aberdeen. Four defeats, nine conceded one scored. And the one goal we scored was from a never penalty when 3-0 down. We certainly don’t have our problems to seek. It must be one of the worst starts to a campaign in our history.
So far it reminds me a bit of the start we made under Craig in 2014, the difference being we actually qualified from the first round of the league cup that season.
I was fairly surprised at the positive reaction to losing 0-1 at home to 10 man managerless Motherwell last week. That was an awful result and the fact Kelly made a couple of decent saves didn’t mean we played at all well. Of course today Motherwell have lost at home to St Johnstone, and no one is surprised. They’re a bad a team and last Sunday was a really bad day for us. Today we’ve played a stronger team and we’ve got a thorough hiding, again to the surprise of no one.
I said before these three opening games we really should be targeting six points minimum, the best case scenario now is three. Does anyone think we will beat County on Saturday and manage it?
After that the games start to get harder. Tannadice, Hibs, Hearts and both sides of the Old Firm all on the horizon.
This stinking run we are on could get very ugly very quickly, unless we win at the weekend…

For me anyway, I came away from the Motherwell game happy enough with the performance, obviously the result was a pisser, as was today's. 

Huge game next week, if we don't win am I calling for the managers head? Nah not yet, still crazy early. I'm giving him a clean slate from the summer onwards, I know fans go back to the form and performances last season and that is fair game too. Goodwin had some poor runs of form and performances but he got the benefit of the doubt. 

I think we have a team capable of competing in this league, I still trust this manager to get the best out of these players. 

This is a tight league. Teams will cut each others throat. If we are still lagging come October/November I think it's fair to start going for the manager but after letting him build a squad over the summer, still with a few weeks left in the window, to then sack him after a handful of games would be mental. Just my opinion though. I know folk that just haven't taken to Robinson right from the very start which is fair enough. 

We sacked stubbs after 77 days/ 4 games apparently. He didn't even have the latter half of the previous season in terms of good faith.

Not saying Robinson is as bad, but it wouldn't be the first time the club punted a manager after building the team in the summer etc.

I have been accused of being a happy clapper before, but I had a bad feeling about this season. Having said that we haven’t played badly in the 2 league games, but are badly missing a combative midfielder. Let’s see if we make a couple of signings before passing judgement.

5 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

Pish, they don't just ruin it for their fellow bigots, they ruin it for every normal human being at the game.

Why should the rules and laws be different depending on what colour of top you have on. 

Surprise no saint fan who ever been removed from the ground when playing the bigots for standing, haven't sues the club/stewards/police for discrimination.

Not overly concerned yet -saw enough last week and we’ve got a shite record in Aberdeen, not helped by an early sending off.

Think we are still a couple players short. Definitely need another left winger/wingback, at the very least. Tait works hard, but we rely heavily on Tanser for assists.

We also need a better keeper - can’t see it happening though.

Edited by aldo_j

1 hour ago, CambieBud said:

I have been accused of being a happy clapper before, but I had a bad feeling about this season. Having said that we haven’t played badly in the 2 league games, but are badly missing a combative midfielder. Let’s see if we make a couple of signings before passing judgement.

That is just it I don't see anyone else being signed. Aberdeen have a massive budget compared to us. It showed today. That is why Goodwin left. 

We have no depth to our squad and no one capable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck. 

Our goalie looks a downgrade on Jak and Gogic leaves a massive whole in the middle of the park. 

If we stick with this squad and dont address the obvious we are in serious trouble. 

If we have another two disastrous results/performances v RC and DU then he would have to go , and it would also mean a possibility of getting a couple in on loan before the window closes , if only to get the team a bit better balanced !

21 minutes ago, billyg said:

If we have another two disastrous results/performances v RC and DU then he would have to go , and it would also mean a possibility of getting a couple in on loan before the window closes , if only to get the team a bit better balanced !

Why don’t St Mirren just let him go to Motherwell. No compensation to pay for getting rid of him.

Was listening to John McGovern on the radio last week talking about Nottingham Forest being back in the EPL.
He said for a team battling at the wrong end of the league they need to have a good goalkeeper and a goal scorer if they are going to stay up. If they have those they can ‘make do’ in the other positions.
He’s right. A common theme amongst almost all relegated teams is problems with goalkeepers and goalscorers.
Carson looks weak and I don’t know where the goals are coming from.