The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I think we definitely need a couple more players. Guys like Flynn and Tait are ok in a pinch, but we can't be in a position where they are playing a lot of games this season, especially if it's Tait at Left back (and I actually thought he did quite well today).

17 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think we definitely need a couple more players. Guys like Flynn and Tait are ok in a pinch, but we can't be in a position where they are playing a lot of games this season, especially if it's Tait at Left back (and I actually thought he did quite well today).

Yeah you've put it more politely than I was going to.

Forgot Flynn was on the pitch. 

Got to repect them as they always give 100% and seem really good pros, but both were lucky to get new deals imo. 

Again, not meaning to single out anyone but when they had Lamie sent off you are looking for a bit of composure, Dunne lost the plot. So many sliced kicks, mis placed headers, long balls just getting punted into the main stand. Killed the momentum.

Jay was brilliant when he came on. Strain was OK, should have done better with his chance. Good competition for that position. 

Robbo’s record against teams who were in the top three leagues last season since he arrived is now:
Played 16
Lost 11
Drew 2
Won 3
In the three relevant games this season against Arbroath, Airdrie and Motherwell it’s been three defeats and zero goals.
It’s a remarkably poor record really, we are just so easy to beat now. Motherwell came to Paisley yesterday without a manager having just played in Ireland on Thursday night, and they didn’t play well. They still went home with the three points and a clean sheet of course.
This needs to turn around quickly, we could really do with something in Pittodrie on Saturday.

Thats the thing.  Points don't come easy away in Aberdeen.  Looking for solid results against the other bottom six clubs and especially when we're at home. 

Yes there were some positives from yesterday, but we came away with nothing and as is written above, it's not good enough. 3 wins from 18 is a sub 20% win rate. That's honking enough without looking at who we've been playing in those games. 

I'll hope for a win next weekend but would take a sneaky point earned from a shitfest.  

21 minutes ago, Lex said:

This needs to turn around quickly, we could really do with something in Pittodrie on Saturday.

Yesterday was a robbery, without a keeper pulling off worldies we would have won comfortably.

I don’t expect anything from Pittodrie so I think we will still be on 0 points going into the RC game but I think he has assembled a squad capable of competing with the bottom 7 or 8 clubs.

31 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Yesterday was a robbery, without a keeper pulling off worldies we would have won comfortably.

I don’t expect anything from Pittodrie so I think we will still be on 0 points going into the RC game but I think he has assembled a squad capable of competing with the bottom 7 or 8 clubs.

Totally agree. Patience is required here. There was enough on show to see how the team can progress. 

I think the fitter we get and more this team plays together will reap rewards. 

Erhahon looks better than ever and Baccus looks a real find. 

My one worry is a bit of quality cover in Midfield and left back. 

Tanser is made of glass and we still need a Gogic type. 

It's pretty concerning to be honest all round and we need to get results swiftly or the calls for his head will grow. I'm not as worried as if Motherwell had outplayed us and we'd created nothing, but we should have been winning that game. That said, I remember under Craig we played Motherwell opening day, probably should have got something from the game, lost and turned out we were both rubbish and ended up bottom 2!

Reported the hooligan scenes by our so called supporters on Sunday totally unacceptable behaviour.  Also witnessed Arbroath fans being attacked after that game. Club is aware and will be discussed at tonight's board meeting . We are  a family club where no-one should feel threatened home or away fans good to know the club are looking into this. 

Trevor Carson is very good at kicking. Hopefully that's something we can actually start using as an attacking option.

For as good as Alnwick is, his kicking was absolutely dire and a good 8/10 of his kicks sailed straight out the park.

Yesterday, I felt like Carson's kicks were very accurate and, with a bit of work with the team, could be a real asset.

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Trevor Carson is very good at kicking. Hopefully that's something we can actually start using as an attacking option.

For as good as Alnwick is, his kicking was absolutely dire and a good 8/10 of his kicks sailed straight out the park.

Yesterday, I felt like Carson's kicks were very accurate and, with a bit of work with the team, could be a real asset.

Can't agree with this. Carson's kicking was not good. He also came for, and missed, a pretty straight forward cross which almost ended up in a goal. 

7 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Reported the hooligan scenes by our so called supporters on Sunday totally unacceptable behaviour.  Also witnessed Arbroath fans being attacked after that game. Club is aware and will be discussed at tonight's board meeting . We are  a family club where no-one should feel threatened home or away fans good to know the club are looking into this. 

If you’re on about the thing that happened outside the ground after the game finished I’m not sure that’s overly fair. I don’t think anyone was attacked, I could be wrong though? The incident I saw was was with a rather rotund drunken woman St Mirren fan who was completely out of order in the way she spoke to 3 young girl Arbroath fans. She was trying to fight them after some harmless back and forward stuff over the score. 

The 3 young girls must’ve only been about 12/13 and this woman would’ve been in her 30s. Obviously when people caught on to this the woman got an extremely hard time and then completely lost her head. It was incredibly amusing to be honest and the lassie was a complete arsehole.

However on the whole I never heard of any other problems and found all the St Mirren fans I come across before game in the pub and after the game in and around the ground good lads / lassies.

14 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

Can't agree with this. Carson's kicking was not good. He also came for, and missed, a pretty straight forward cross which almost ended up in a goal. 

Carson reminded me a bit of Paul Gallacher. Good shot stopper, but doesn’t command the 6 yard box enough.

Carson reminded me a bit of Paul Gallacher. Good shot stopper, but doesn’t command the 6 yard box enough.
Totally makes me think like Gallacher. I couldn't put my finger on it.

I do wonder if this has been pushed through more as Robo seems to take Carson everywhere like they are mates if this has been pushed through because of this rather than what the club and goalkeeping coaching have wanted?! I ask as since Samson we have had decent keepers in Hladký and Alnwick.

16 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If you’re on about the thing that happened outside the ground after the game finished I’m not sure that’s overly fair. I don’t think anyone was attacked, I could be wrong though? The incident I saw was was with a rather rotund drunken woman St Mirren fan who was completely out of order in the way she spoke to 3 young girl Arbroath fans. She was trying to fight them after some harmless back and forward stuff over the score. 

The 3 young girls must’ve only been about 12/13 and this woman would’ve been in her 30s. Obviously when people caught on to this the woman got an extremely hard time and then completely lost her head. It was incredibly amusing to be honest and the lassie was a complete arsehole.

However on the whole I never heard of any other problems and found all the St Mirren fans I come across before game in the pub and after the game in and around the ground good lads / lassies.

That's a completely different incident.  I seen an Arbroath fan punched in the face. The ones on Sunday are very much organised for trouble. 

17 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Currently banned from the ground for an incident at or since the Arbroath game I believe & not before time.