The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I only suggested it because his name always gets thrown in to the ring when the Motherwell job becomes vacant. 

You did say “surely he will be in the frame for the job” which I wrongly assumed you meant that Motherwell FC would make an approach.

If it is just based on lazy journalism then I get that.

Apologies.

10 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

You did say “surely he will be in the frame for the job” which I wrongly assumed you meant that Motherwell FC would make an approach.

If it is just based on lazy journalism then I get that.

Apologies.

To be fair he’s probably on a pretty significant wage at Man United so it’s unlikely the Motherwell job would appeal, unless he genuinely did have aspirations to be a manager in his own right. I have no clue who Motherwell will be going for, but I’m pretty certain it’s not going to be Robinson. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

To be fair he’s probably on a pretty significant wage at Man United so it’s unlikely the Motherwell job would appeal, unless he genuinely did have aspirations to be a manager in his own right. I have no clue who Motherwell will be going for, but I’m pretty certain it’s not going to be Robinson. 

It would not surprise me if he earns more in a month at Utd than Motherwell could pay as an annual salary.

I agree I don’t see any chance of Motherwell coming back for Robinson.

I don’t know why Martindale at Livingston is not considered.

He has done his time and acknowledged his crime. 

Or does he have more control at Livingston than just being manager.

He has done a remarkable job there.

34 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

It would not surprise me if he earns more in a month at Utd than Motherwell could pay as an annual salary.

I agree I don’t see any chance of Motherwell coming back for Robinson.

I don’t know why Martindale at Livingston is not considered.

He has done his time and acknowledged his crime. 

Or does he have more control at Livingston than just being manager.

He has done a remarkable job there.

I think Martindale is one of these managers that just fits a club, the fans are happy with him and he’s happy at the club. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be able to do a good job elsewhere, because he’s proven himself to be a good manager, but I don’t see many scenarios that would cause him to either leave or be sacked. 

As a St Mirren fan you have to grudgingly respect what Livingston have done since being promoted. They aren’t a fashionable club, have a small but loyal support, and have outperformed St Mirren in the Premiership for the last 2 seasons.  I actually think their squad for the current season is looking stronger than anything they’ve had previously. Annoyingly Martindale always seems to be able to put a team together, and without checking, this must be the first season since they have been back in the Premiership where there hasn’t been a large turnover of the squad. Guys like Holt, Devlin, Fitzwater and Nouble would be starters for St Mirren imo. 

Absolutely. Motherwell and St Mirren are both teams that suffer from their proximity to Ibrox and Parkhead. Paisley is a town with a population of nearly 90,000 people, so any attempt to try and capture the future supporters of the club before they wander up Paisley Road West to Ibrox should be commended. The club have been promoting a scheme where fans can buy tickets at a reduced price so that people who ordinarily couldn’t afford a ticket, can attend a game. I’m sure that’s new for this season coming, and I think it’s something that Motherwell have done for their local community for the last couple of years. That sort of thing seems to be Lasleys aim going by his interviews, so I hope to see more things like that in the future. 
SMiSA have been buying blocks of tickets for some years to give to local groups so its not a new concept. And The St Mirren Charitable Foundation and the Club have been involved in loads of community initiatives long before the Kibble or Lasley got involved. Lasley may be expanding on some ideas but we have been very much a community club since SMiSA was founded and regularly gave cash to local initiatives.

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:
2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:
Absolutely. Motherwell and St Mirren are both teams that suffer from their proximity to Ibrox and Parkhead. Paisley is a town with a population of nearly 90,000 people, so any attempt to try and capture the future supporters of the club before they wander up Paisley Road West to Ibrox should be commended. The club have been promoting a scheme where fans can buy tickets at a reduced price so that people who ordinarily couldn’t afford a ticket, can attend a game. I’m sure that’s new for this season coming, and I think it’s something that Motherwell have done for their local community for the last couple of years. That sort of thing seems to be Lasleys aim going by his interviews, so I hope to see more things like that in the future. 

SMiSA have been buying blocks of tickets for some years to give to local groups so its not a new concept. And The St Mirren Charitable Foundation and the Club have been involved in loads of community initiatives long before the Kibble or Lasley got involved. Lasley may be expanding on some ideas but we have been very much a community club since SMiSA was founded and regularly gave cash to local initiatives.

That’s good they are doing that but this is the first season I can remember them promoting it so much for other fans to buy tickets. With Kibble being a charity and Smisa being funded by the fans it makes sense for the club to do these kind of initiatives. Lasley does seem to be heavily focused on this sort of community engagement, in the same way Tony Fitzpatrick was too to be fair. 

Not going to be too negative after that, we dominated from start to finish and Kelly was the difference with some world class saves. Been critical of Erhahon but he strolled it and has a new lease of life the now, he’s as strong as an ox too. Baccus and Ohara will have a good Season together.

Still don’t get the hype with grieve, don’t rate him and he is too lightweight, a fit brophy and Kiltie make a difference today.

13 minutes ago, McG said:

Not going to be too negative after that, we dominated from start to finish and Kelly was the difference with some world class saves. Been critical of Erhahon but he strolled it and has a new lease of life the now, he’s as strong as an ox too. Baccus and Ohara will have a good Season together.

Still don’t get the hype with grieve, don’t rate him and he is too lightweight, a fit brophy and Kiltie make a difference today.

Thought we played well in spells. Erhahon actually looks a different player. He is stronger and his passing is excellent. 

Thought we could have brought on Brophy and taken off a defender once they lost a player. 

Grieve is full of running but I would prefer Offord. 

Lastly can we learn to keep the ball down when shooting

1 hour ago, McG said:

I like Greive and really think the boy has something about him but today he was like a dog chasing a crisp packet on a windy day. 

I see Gallagher is being played right in a back 3. That's mostly where he played at Livi and he was brilliant for us in that position. He never actually played centre back in a 4 for us. When we used a 4 he always played at right back. 

1 hour ago, McG said:

Kiltie was still suspended today, will be available for the visit to the dung heap next Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I see Gallagher is being played right in a back 3. That's mostly where he played at Livi and he was brilliant for us in that position. He never actually played centre back in a 4 for us. When we used a 4 he always played at right back. 

Gallagher strolled it today. He looked excellent. Could be a real bargain this season

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He's not been thrust in there at random though which is reassuring. He went and got his business degree with the sole intention of moving from coaching and onfield matters into a business based or CEO role.

And in terms of that, he appears to be nailing it so far.

I done an entry level Open Uni course on ‘The Business of Football’. It’s a very interesting path to go down.

Just caught the highlights. Considering we lost, there were quite a few positives to take from the game today.

How many times in the past few seasons have we struggled to test a keeper. We did that today, he just so happened to be playing a stormer. 

Baccus shows early signs of being a great signing.

Play like that and more often than not we'll win. Cliche, but deffo true today.

Edited by Buddiesaint
Typo

Yep, based on today we'll be fine. 

I think Greive is still very raw and we need to remember how far he's come. I suspect he's actually 4th choice when everyone is fit.

Baccus and Erhahon excellent today, but I'd still prefer to see Kiltie as the most advanced of the three. I'd possibly have O'Hara making way.

I think we need a left-sided back up player, too. Tait isn't the answer there: kept having to cut back inside to cross. It's slow and predictable. If Tanser is going to be unreliable (and hamstrings are problematic when they start going) then we could be in trouble. Do we have a LB in the youth team?

Really upbeat despite the score today. Defence looks solid again and we look threatening going forward . My only hope is we get another Lwb as Tanser seems to be injury prone and Tait is not suited to that role.