The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

18 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Robinson will be heavily under fire if we lose tomorrow. The team still lacks a couple of key players. 

I personally dont see him walking away but I do see him pushed if results are as bad as the LC campaign. 

I would love him to be a success but my confidence in what I have seen so far is low. 

I think there is mileage in the well story but I dont think it is cut and dried

Did Burrows not shoot the story down on radio this afternoon? 
Unless I misheard . 

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Unless I misheard . 

He said something like - don't believe everything you read in the papers. 

55 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Unless I misheard . 

That was my thoughts exactly. And Tam Cowan said earlier the journalist was a Well supporter who rarely gets things right.

56 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Unless I misheard . 

He certainly did not deny it. He said don't believe everything but didnt quash the story. He didnt want to disrespect us before the game tomorrow

6 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This. 

This to a word.

I'm not a Robinson apologist, nor have I been particularly enamoured by our performances or his handling of things since taking charge but let's not gloss over the fact that Goodwin was given a LOT more grace by St. Mirren fans because of who he was and not what he was doing. Because if it was what he was doing, the knives would have been out quickly for him too.

He needs to be given a chance to show he can get the squad he's put together singing off the same hymn sheet. He may not but his chances of doing so are markedly higher than a new gaffer would at this point.

If we get to 11 games in and are in dire straits then that will obviously be a different scenario.

I mostly agree with this. I'm certainly not calling for Robinson to be sacked and i think he can come good but he needs a decent run. 

Where I would slightly disagree with is that Goodwin was given a lot more grace. Being an ex player he was definitely more popular with the fans but when we were on a bad run there were plenty on here, bawarmy, twitter that would've had him out. Difference with Goodwin was that he was able to pull out a few good runs of form and some big results. Robinson needs a good run pretty soon.

Edited by houston_bud

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I mostly agree with this. I'm certainly not calling for Robinson to be sacked and i think he can come good but he needs a decent run. 

Where I would slightly disagree with is that Goodwin was given a lot more grace. Being an ex player he was definitely more popular with the fans but when we were on a bad run there were plenty on here, bawarmy, twitter that would've had him out. Difference with Goodwin was that he was able to pull out a few good runs of form and some big results. Robinson needs a good run pretty soon.

That's fair enough.

Goodwin's sides were notoriously hard to beat. A lot of games we potentially should have lost, we scraped 0-0 or 1-1 draws but on the flip side, a lot of games we should have won ended with the same result.

Not pretty by any means but effective I suppose. 

9 hours ago, NorthBank said:

That was my thoughts exactly. And Tam Cowan said earlier the journalist was a Well supporter who rarely gets things right.

Tam Cowan is also a Motherwell supporter who rarely gets anything right... 🙄

10 hours ago, AW saint said:

I think there is mileage in the well story but I dont think it is cut and dried

Why? Everything Robinson has said, coupled with us holding the whip hand and allowing us to charge them a fortune for a manager under contract, suggests there is no logic to thinking this is anything other than some random zoomer reading some salty comments on a forum and thinking "there's my scoop". In fact, the final nail in the coffin should be that the story is in the Record. If the first two strikes (Robinson's own words and our financial benefit) didn't dissuade you, then the publishing medium should.

4 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Goodwin had lots and lots of bad runs to be fair. To be honest, I don't think any other manager who bottled our best chances of a top six finish and the two cups since 2013, all in the same season, would have got the slack Goodwin did, especially following up that failure with no wins in the first 7 games (I think...) the season after.

Even last season pretty much followed the Goodwin standard by a ropy start, followed by a decent run of form, before injuries and suspensions start to take it's toll on a knackered, tiny squad around February and it all starts to fall away. It just so happened that last season Robinson was in charge during the usual third act rather than Goodwin this time.

10 hours ago, Munoz said:

He said something like - don't believe everything you read in the papers. 

There’s no way Robinson is going back to Motherwell. It would be a backwards step for Motherwell and they don’t seem to be a club that operates like that. I remember them being linked with Van der Gaag before, who is now assistant to ten Haag at Manchester United, surely he will be in the frame for the job again?

7 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

What is Lasleys role at the club? Quite interesting he’s went in to that side of the game. On the continent loads of board members, CEOs and sporting directors are ex players but it’s not a UK thing.

He’s Chief Operating Officer. By all accounts he’s doing an excellent job, and seems to be heavily focused on the community aspect of the club. That’s something that I think Motherwell have done well at for the past few years and continue to do so today, and as similar sized fan owned clubs it seems Lasley is trying to emulate that with St Mirren. 

I didn’t know this until he joined St Mirren, but he grew up in Paisley and has family in the town as well. I’ve been very impressed with him any time he’s spoke about the club and the vision he’s got for the future. I think he gained a degree in business management after retiring from playing so it seems this sort of role has been something he’s been aiming at. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

He’s Chief Operating Officer. By all accounts he’s doing an excellent job, and seems to be heavily focused on the community aspect of the club. That’s something that I think Motherwell have done well at for the past few years and continue to do so today, and as similar sized fan owned clubs it seems Lasley is trying to emulate that with St Mirren. 

Be a tough job but good luck to him doing something different. Get the feeling the smaller clubs need to try things like this to step up their ambition. Lots of clubs in Scotland just need a right good shake.

2 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Be a tough job but good luck to him doing something different. Get the feeling the smaller clubs need to try things like this to step up their ambition. Lots of clubs in Scotland just need a right good shake.

Absolutely. Motherwell and St Mirren are both teams that suffer from their proximity to Ibrox and Parkhead. Paisley is a town with a population of nearly 90,000 people, so any attempt to try and capture the future supporters of the club before they wander up Paisley Road West to Ibrox should be commended. The club have been promoting a scheme where fans can buy tickets at a reduced price so that people who ordinarily couldn’t afford a ticket, can attend a game. I’m sure that’s new for this season coming, and I think it’s something that Motherwell have done for their local community for the last couple of years. That sort of thing seems to be Lasleys aim going by his interviews, so I hope to see more things like that in the future. 

29 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

What is Lasleys role at the club? Quite interesting he’s went in to that side of the game. On the continent loads of board members, CEOs and sporting directors are ex players but it’s not a UK thing.

He's not been thrust in there at random though which is reassuring. He went and got his business degree with the sole intention of moving from coaching and onfield matters into a business based or CEO role.

And in terms of that, he appears to be nailing it so far.

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I remember them being linked with Van der Gaag before, who is now assistant to ten Haag at Manchester United, surely he will be in the frame for the job again?

Are you being serious with this suggestion?

Why would the assistant of one of the biggest clubs in the world even be remotely interested in the job at Fir Park?

20 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Dearie me Colin do you pick arguments with yer dug. Point of reference on Robinson is on this page of the thread from me. Nothing else feel free to fish and spin away bye. 

Dearie me, contradict yourself and then build an defence irrelevant defence based on things you didn't say - who am I talking to Dr. Zingal or Mr Hyde?

2 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Are you being serious with this suggestion?

Why would the assistant of one of the biggest clubs in the world even be remotely interested in the job at Fir Park?

Some people prefer being a manager rather than an assistant, he has ties to the club and might see the job as a suitable enough level to enter management at? It wouldn’t be the first time an assistant at a big club has left to become a manager in his own right. I only suggested it because his name always gets thrown in to the ring when the Motherwell job becomes vacant.