The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Not that bothered if Robinson stays or goes to be honest.

I’ll decide if I’m bothered after we’ve played everyone once in the league - with him overseeing his team, his signings, with his plans, tactics and formations all in place. I hope it transpires that he’s here for years, because it means we’ll be doing OK.

3 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

If we can get rid of Robinson and get compensation then it’s a win win

My cat could do a better job than Robinson

Can you ask your cat to start posting on here in place of you as well?

The idea that it would be a good thing for us to lose our manager now is fucking mental. Especially after backing him to bring his own players in and then handing the reins over to someone new who may not get a tune from someone else's group.

Just 4 months ago, the current manager was commenting how difficult it was with another managers side to bed them into the way he wants to play. So it strikes me as mad that more than a handful of supporters would be quite happy to roll that dice again so close to the season starting.

Absolutely mental. At least let's get the first round of games played and see where we stand then.

Edited by djchapsticks

Robinson never got a decent start with us

I don't see any improvement in us and don't think we will kick on.

I'm getting the same feeling when a good manager like Davie Hay turns to shite while managing us. If the story has any substance to it I hope he goes. I think he will be the next casualty in the management stakes

1 minute ago, Uncle Scan said:

Honestly, based on what? 

We have at least 5 new starters from last season and it's hardly ideal to go out of the LC so early but I don't for a minute think that people have given the team, manager or new signings any sort of chance to gel or improve.

They've seen a lackluster performance against Arbroath and a really, really shite showing at Airdrie and decided that's more than enough to make a fully informed decision that we're not going to get better. You must surely see how irrational that is?!

What of we turn in an improved performance tomorrow and get a win or even a draw with a good showing, are you still going to say there's no hope of improvement?

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Honestly, based on what? 

We have at least 5 new starters from last season and it's hardly ideal to go out of the LC so early but I don't for a minute think that people have given the team, manager or new signings any sort of chance to gel or improve.

They've seen a lackluster performance against Arbroath and a really, really shite showing at Airdrie and decided that's more than enough to make a fully informed decision that we're not going to get better. You must surely see how irrational that is?!

What of we turn in an improved performance tomorrow and get a win or even a draw with a good showing, are you still going to say there's no hope of improvement?

Personally I think Robinson will be gone within a few weeks, when you sign players not good enough for another top flight club with little quality in the squad it’s only going to go one way.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Especially after backing him to bring his own players in and then handing the reins over to someone new who may not get a tune from someone else's group.

Signings haven’t looked too inspiring so far & the very man who signed them didn’t do a very good job of getting a tune out of them against weaker opposition. I’m happy to give him time (however, I said the same for Stubbs), but if Motherwell did come to us on Monday asking to speak to him I wouldn’t be standing in their way with any ridiculous demands, see Aberdeen’s reported interest in Dunne. 

1 minute ago, Yorky said:

Personally I think Robinson will be gone within a few weeks, when you sign players not good enough for another top flight club with little quality in the squad it’s only going to go one way.

Who are the players not good enough for another club?

22 minutes ago, Uncle Scan said:

Robinson never got a decent start with us

I'm getting the same feeling when a good manager like Davie Hay turns to shite while managing us. If the story has any substance to it I hope he goes. I think he will be the next casualty in the management stakes

Davie Hay was never a good manager.

28 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The idea that it would be a good thing for us to lose our manager now is fucking mental. Especially after backing him to bring his own players in and then handing the reins over to someone new who may not get a tune from someone else's group.

And the someone new will be drawn from a smaller pool than we were looking at a few, short months ago. Jack Ross and Scott Brown now in posts so I'd imagine that the frontrunner would be Steven Naismith with Kevin Thomson closely behind. 

If we stand aside and let Robinson go, we're as good as giving up on the season. Another nine months of listening to a manager complain that he's trying his hardest with another guy's signings, etc.

People seem to forget that we have been largely shite since we came back up. We've managed solid but unspectacular league positions under Goodwin but the football's been fucking dire. 

A few decent games - the wins over the Old Firm, 5-1 United away - have glossed over endless turgid matches with no attacking intent, and a couple of big-occasion bottle jobs.

I haven't been impressed with Robinson so far. I was highly critical of his formation switches last season, and his interviews have, on occasion, been bizarre, post-truth bollocks.

But he has to be given more time because going back to square one at this stage, with no guarantee that the replacement would be any better, is utterly mental.

It feels weird for the first game of the season to feel so important, but it really is. The strange thing is, if Well beat us, he arguably becomes less desirable to both them and us. If we turn them over, will that make them want him more?

It's almost certainly moot anyway. I really don't believe they want to bring him back.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If we stand aside and let Robinson go, we're as good as giving up on the season. Another nine months of listening to a manager complain that he's trying his hardest with another guy's signings, etc.

People seem to forget that we have been largely shite since we came back up. We've managed solid but unspectacular league positions under Goodwin but the football's been fucking dire. 

A few decent games - the wins over the Old Firm, 5-1 United away - have glossed over endless turgid matches with no attacking intent, and a couple of big-occasion bottle jobs.

I haven't been impressed with Robinson so far. I was highly critical of his formation switches last season, and his interviews have, on occasion, been bizarre, post-truth bollocks.

But he has to be given more time because going back to square one at this stage, with no guarantee that the replacement would be any better, is utterly mental.

It feels weird for the first game of the season to feel so important, but it really is. The strange thing is, if Well beat us, he arguably becomes less desirable to both them and us. If we turn them over, will that make them want him more?

It's almost certainly moot anyway. I really don't believe they want to bring him back.

This. 

This to a word.

I'm not a Robinson apologist, nor have I been particularly enamoured by our performances or his handling of things since taking charge but let's not gloss over the fact that Goodwin was given a LOT more grace by St. Mirren fans because of who he was and not what he was doing. Because if it was what he was doing, the knives would have been out quickly for him too.

He needs to be given a chance to show he can get the squad he's put together singing off the same hymn sheet. He may not but his chances of doing so are markedly higher than a new gaffer would at this point.

If we get to 11 games in and are in dire straits then that will obviously be a different scenario.

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Honestly, based on what? 

Maybe but I just got a feeling it won't work out with us

I haven't been impressed with performances and results so far but to talk of binning Robinson is mad.

We were never going to get another keeper as good as Alnwick but Carson is an internationalist as is Gallagher. O'Hara, Baccus, Strain and Ayungu all looked decent and it is far too early to say they won't hack it at Premiership level (O'Hara can). And we've been without Main and Brophy with limited appearances of Kiltie and Tanser.

The squad looks half decent on paper. Time will tell if the players, formation and tactics will be good enough. But they need a chance as does Robinson.

Robinson will be heavily under fire if we lose tomorrow. The team still lacks a couple of key players. 

I personally dont see him walking away but I do see him pushed if results are as bad as the LC campaign. 

I would love him to be a success but my confidence in what I have seen so far is low. 

I think there is mileage in the well story but I dont think it is cut and dried