The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Main and Ayunga may just be the perfect fit

I quite like the look of Ayunga. He seems to have a bit of composure with the ball at his feet, even when surrounded by defenders. Admittedly I’ve only seen him against Linfield and Edinburgh but he scored 3 goals in those 2 games, and was getting in to the right positions.

Would quite like to see Grieve kick on a bit this year. He’s got the security of the extended contract now, and has shown glimpses of good forward play. He stills lacks that final bit of quality when presented with a goalscoring opportunity, and sometimes plays the wrong pass or tries to hold on to the ball for a split second too long. He does have a habit of getting himself in to the right positions for a tap in though, which is a good trait to have.

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Would quite like to see Grieve kick on a bit this year. He’s got the security of the extended contract now, and has shown glimpses of good forward play. He stills lacks that final bit of quality when presented with a goalscoring opportunity, and sometimes plays the wrong pass or tries to hold on to the ball for a split second too long. He does have a habit of getting himself in to the right positions for a tap in though, which is a good trait to have.

I'm a big fan of Grieve. He reminds me somewhat of Danny Mullen, in that he never stops running or chasing down lost causes, likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of a challenge. 

Although, I do agree he needs to kick on a bit this year. If he can hit double figures for goals/assists this year then that would be a good return. I get the impression Robinson likes him, but I;m not sure his best position is on the left of a front 3.

Ayunga has goals in him, I just feel we need to find the right partnership for him. Could he benefit playing off of Main?

For me, Brophy is the best striker at the club. But his injury record really is becoming a big concern. I can't see him playing more than 20 games this season. I'd be amazed if he did.

Olusanya has been really unfortunate so far. I really haven't seen enough of him so far to have an opinion one way or the other.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

44 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

15-16 was bleaker than this by a very long way.

Going into a Championship with Sevco and Hibs, Ian Murray in charge, absolutely random set of bargain basement signings.

I don’t even remember that season despite going to the games. It must have been bad.

9 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I'm a big fan of Grieve. He reminds me somewhat of Danny Mullen, in that he never stops running or chasing down lost causes, likes to get stuck in and isn't afraid of a challenge. 

When I watched the Linfield game and seen a deliberate effort from our forwards players to be constantly pressing the centre halves and cutting off passing lanes, it got me excited for the season ahead. Grieve didn’t stop running, and you could see the wing backs pushing high up the pitch and the centre halfves out covering them, so it was a deliberate game plan. I didn’t see the Airdrie or Arbroath games, so don’t know if we pressed with the same intensity in those games?

We played that way at times under Jack Ross in the Championship, where we didn’t give the opposition a minutes peace no matter where they were on the park. It’s an exciting style of football to watch, and if you have an energetic midfield willing to bust a gut to get forward when the ball is turned over it can create 2 on 1s/3 on 2s etc.

Under Goodwin we seemed to allow most teams the space to wander up to the half way line, and would have our centre forward floating about just inside our own half. I’m not criticising the players for that as I’m sure that was Goodwins instruction, he preferred getting Main, Brophy etc. back infront of the ball instead of chasing down defenders. Obviously it’s not a tactic you would employ for every game, but at home against teams that we would expect to be bottom 6 it’s a tactic I would like to see used. 

2 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Without wanting to sound like Elvis, I can’t remember a season when I’ve been less enthusiastic about the start. Hope I’m wrong but I suspect a long struggle this season 

The start of the Tommy Craig season for definite.

Going in with a shite strip, shite signings, a manager that we suspected wasn't fit for purpose and a general apathy.

The Stubbs season as well started very optimistically but by time the Dundee game rolled around, many of us were very concerned at both the quality of football in display and lack of game plan coupled with the strong rumours that the dressing room was already gone by that point.

Our options up front last season were Main, Brophy, Erwin, Dennis / Greive .

4 centre-forwards on paper but 3 really as Goodwin had clearly decided that he didn't want Erwin on the park. We were limited to the point of near-crisis when a couple of them were injured or suspended. 

Going into this season, we have more guys who can play there and of different types: hopefully we can find a combination that works. 

Going in with a shite strip, shite signings, a manager that we suspected wasn't fit for purpose and a general apathy.
The Stubbs season as well started very optimistically but by time the Dundee game rolled around, many of us were very concerned at both the quality of football in display and lack of game plan coupled with the strong rumours that the dressing room was already gone by that point.
The best thing about that season was Tommy Craig giving a prolonged death stare to a journalist.

48 minutes ago, Mordecai said:
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

The best thing about that season was Tommy Craig giving a prolonged death stare to a journalist.

Does anyone have a copy of that interview? I'd love to see that again! 

4 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Do you think Motherwell would pay money for Robinson?

We could then put Keith Lasley in charge with one of the former Well players in the team as Assistant. 

Instead of compensation I’d be asking Motherwell to take back all the shite we’ve acquired from them along with Robinson. Would be a fair deal.  

13 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Instead of compensation I’d be asking Motherwell to take back all the shite we’ve acquired from them along with Robinson. Would be a fair deal.  

Like?

If we somehow manage to get some compensation for Robinson after his results so far, it would be absolutely hilarious.

I don't think he's a bad manager, he could still come good at us and he'd probably do OK if he was to go back to Motherwell - but let's be honest, he's been rotten for us so far and could well be out the door before Christmas.

Edited by houston_bud

I don't believe this for a minute, in fact what is more plausible is that Motherwell have leaked this opinion in some way to upset us before the game, knowing they are at their weakest.

It's also the Record, which is a red flag for any story purporting to be based on fact.

Edited by Ric

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't believe this for a minute, in fact what is more plausible is that Motherwell have leaked this opinion in some way to upset us before the game, knowing they are at their weakest.

It's also the Record, which is a red flag for any story purporting to be based on fact.

Yeah, there are only one or two journalists with credibility when it comes to stuff like this. Never heard of the reporter that’s written that article…

I’ll await Fabrizio Romano tweeting.

Can understand the attraction of Aberdeen to Jim Goodwin but Motherwell to Stephen Robinson? At this moment in time?

He walked away from Motherwell just 19 months ago and would be going into the season working with a team assembled by Alexander. At the same time, leaving behind everything he has put together here: not just the squad but also the new Head of Recruitment, Sports Scientist.....

If he does want to go though then, 2 years left on his contract, highest-paid manager ever apparently, I guess we'd be talking upwards of £300K to release him and O'Carroll from their contracts.