The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 hours ago, Ric said:

He had a loan down at Barnsley and by all accounts they were pleased with him. It was their U21 (U23?) squad though, not the first team.

COVID lockdown cut short his stay. It's maybe given him a taste for something he'd like to pursue when his contract runs down, unless we try and keep him longer.
He has to be happy though to stay and time will tell If working under Robinson is enough.

On 23/07/2022 at 23:09, ZingaliMan said:

I get that just a bit hacked off  I'm not believed.  However it might be shite and I hope it is.  All I want is the best for our club I love St Mirren.  All Saints fans do I'm not trying to say I'm right I'm going on hear say second hand news. The guys telling me are in their 50's  60's like me. All I want is a successful team on the park that's my one love Black & White. 

image.thumb.png.b31b1e211f3948fb6370fbf243635b49.png

Not only no mention of this £1.2m but club is actively in a better position now too.

As I've said before, some folk throw shit out there to cause trouble.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, he'll come back and join someone like you, and do reasonably well, prompting Yer St Mirren Facebook Da, who has done nothing but hurl abuse at him, to complain that we a) let him go and b) failed to re-sign him.

The year is 2026, St Johnstone have just won the Scottish Premiership for the first time. Their CM pairing of Cammy MacPherson and Ethan Erhahon helped drive the team to unprecedented heights.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

image.thumb.png.b31b1e211f3948fb6370fbf243635b49.png

Not only no mention of this £1.2m but club is actively in a better position now too.

As I've said before, some folk throw shit out there to cause trouble.

Only wrote what I heard from a very respectful guy in my book. Accounts will be out later in the year let's see what they say. By that I hope all is well. Looking forward to Sunday hopefully the start of a great season and all is well with the club. 

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Only wrote what I heard from a very respectful guy in my book. Accounts will be out later in the year let's see what they say. By that I hope all is well. Looking forward to Sunday hopefully the start of a great season and all is well with the club. 

Have you ever been right about anything?

5 hours ago, Biscuits said:

Have you ever been right about anything?

Certainly have about you lol. Read my post again. What I was told  -  is it a fact No. Is it a rumour yes. Hope that helps if not let me know and I will try hard to simplify it further for you. Dearie me some Buds  read what they want to read rather than read what is actually written. 

On 23/07/2022 at 17:08, ZingaliMan said:

The 1.2 million is part of the grant and is missing from the books. Stuart Gilmour pushing to find out where the money went. Quite a lot of bad feelings towards Kibble most staff at the club have been replaced with Kibble staff including the ball boys/girls. Was told this at the game from an ex-chairman not Gilmour.  

8 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Certainly have about you lol. Read my post again. What I was told  -  is it a fact No. Is it a rumour yes. Hope that helps if not let me know and I will try hard to simplify it further for you. Dearie me some Buds  read what they want to read rather than read what is actually written. 

Your post above is the original post.

You've not presented this as rumour initially, you've followed up on the original person's post and have caveated it with it being an 'ex-chairman' who told you it to add credence. You also did this last time you mentioned financial meltdown and with the Steven Davis thing.

You wonder why people round on you for this and it's quite simple. You get told things like this and it's less the fact that you relay this news to the forums but more that you get offended and agitated if anyone has the gall to say they are taking what you say with a pinch of salt due to your previous track record of being very, very wrong. 

For the record, the person who initially mentioned the £1.2m was also doubted by many including myself. So you need to not take people questioning you so personally.

Goalkeepers

Carson, Lyness, Urminsky 

Defenders

Shaughnessy, Dunne, Gallagher, Fraser, Tait, Tanser, Strain 

Midfielders

O'Hara, Erhahon, Flynn, Baccus, Henderson, Kiltie, Reid, Taylor

Forwards

Brophy, Main, Greive, Ayunga, Olusanya, Offord

That's what the squad looks like going into the first league game (possible though that Taylor and / or Offord might head out on loan shortly).

Lots more options up front compared to last season though it might take awhile to find the right mix; in defence, Gallagher and Strain are hopefully upgrades on McCarthy and Miller.

The centre of the park is the big question mark. Power / Gogic / Ronan have essentially been replaced by O'Hara / Baccus / Reid. With 200+ appearances in good leagues, O'Hara should be solid but, for a good season, we probably need consistent performances from Ethan as well as Baccus working out.

19 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

😂😂😂

please continue with your storys.you turn even the dullest of days bright

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The centre of the park is the big question mark. Power / Gogic / Ronan have essentially been replaced by O'Hara / Baccus / Reid. With 200+ appearances in good leagues, O'Hara should be solid but, for a good season, we probably need consistent performances from Ethan as well as Baccus working out.

Nobody's going to deny that the midfield is weaker on paper. I'm hoping it's sufficiently different in terms of playing style - and that we have more goals elsewhere - to make up for the loss of Ronan.

I'm not for a second arguing that we won't miss Gogic and Ronan - they both walk into our team based on the current squad. But the hope is that Baccus offers so much more than Power did, especially in terms of mobility, and that Ayunga brings more goals to the front line.

The concern with the squad right now is that we've been massively carried by two different midfielders over the past two seasons, McGrath and Ronan arguably papering over a LOT of cracks. Looking through the squad today and not seeing a superstar is what's making me nervous. But I genuinely believe we have better balance overall.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Another question is what is a good season for us?

Disastrous - finishing 12th or relegated via the playoffs.

Bad - 9th/10th miles off the split and just avoiding relegation

Acceptable - a repeat of the last couple of seasons, pretty much safe with 10 games to spare, decent cup run would be nice (harder now we only have the Scottish Cup to compete in), looking up the table, not below us.

Good - 7th and above

Brilliant - The holy grail, top 6 or mid table obscurity with a trip a couple trips to Hampden.

Dream - Tony Fitz gets his wish.

Is that fair enough? 

I think the league will be crazy tight again at the section that concerns us. Aberdeen will get better, Hibs could get worse. United will be consistent again. Feck knows with Motherwell, Livi, County.

Realistically a quarter of the league at least could be looking for a new manager by October/November time. I hope we aren't one of them.

Big area of concern is if and when Tanser gets injured again, as is currently the case. He’s relied on pretty heavily and we don’t have a decent back-up to him, I guess it’s difficult enough to get a first choice left-back never mind an adequate back-up. Tait isn’t good enough to get a look in at right back, he shouldn’t be near left back - it was a crazy decision by Goodwin to give him another year. We are very top heavy now with 6 (7 if you include Henderson) forwards vying for potentially 2 spots if Robinson is shifting towards 3-5-2. 

I’d be reluctant to pin our hopes on Ayunga being a regular goalscorer, I’m yet to see the hype of him. I would be more hopeful of Main picking up where he left of last season.

1 minute ago, buddie06smfc said:

Big area of concern is if and when Tanser gets injured again, as is currently the case. He’s relied on pretty heavily and we don’t have a decent back-up to him, I guess it’s difficult enough to get a first choice left-back never mind an adequate back-up. Tait isn’t good enough to get a look in at right back, he shouldn’t be near left back - it was a crazy decision by Goodwin to give him another year. We are very top heavy now with 6 (7 if you include Henderson) forwards vying for potentially 2 spots if Robinson is shifting towards 3-5-2. 

I’d be reluctant to pin our hopes on Ayunga being a regular goalscorer, I’m yet to see the hype of him. I would be more hopeful of Main picking up where he left of last season.

If we are going 4-3-3 Henderson has to be starting as one of the 3, from what I seen from everyone so far.

If it's 3-5-2 on Sunday the 2 up front will be Grieve and Ayunga. Kiltie will be suspended for another game or 2 won't he? 

For me, we're lacking creativity in the middle of the park. The centre of our midfield is very combatitive, but I worry about our ability to create anything from there. Perhaps Baccus will prove to be that creative spark, but if he isn't then we could have a big problem.

36 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

For me, we're lacking creativity in the middle of the park. The centre of our midfield is very combatitive, but I worry about our ability to create anything from there. Perhaps Baccus will prove to be that creative spark, but if he isn't then we could have a big problem.

I think it's early days to assess the new players. I know from the very first moment we seen Ronan play, you could see he was head and shoulders talent wise, though the likes of O'Hara, who I do highly rate and Baccus, who we haven't seen much of yet, could be the answer this season. 

The new system could also make other players better players and make them all as equally effective going forward.

28 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think it's early days to assess the new players. I know from the very first moment we seen Ronan play, you could see he was head and shoulders talent wise, though the likes of O'Hara, who I do highly rate and Baccus, who we haven't seen much of yet, could be the answer this season. 

The new system could also make other players better players and make them all as equally effective going forward.

From the games I've seen O'Hara play against us, and in the handful of games for us, I'm a fan. He's got the legs to go box-to-box and likes to get stuck in.

I just feel we need someone who is likely to have that added bit of quality to find a killer pass and can chip in with 2 or 3 screamers a season. I don't think O'Hara has that. However, Baccus may well have, only time will tell. Ideally, it could be Kiltie, but I don't see how he fits into our favoured formation.