The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, Ric said:

Why the f**k is that Nazi English bitch mentioning anything Scottish for?

image.jpeg.daafe7f3643404977b83f229048c6893.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ric said:

It's not a non-sequitur, it's relevant because she is referencing an area of the country she has absolutely no connection with*, and certainly her party has never had representation there.

* Edit: Ok, she spent literally a couple of years at a primary school, which I will admit I wasn't aware of, but it's still a relevant point to make especially considering the education system is split over jurisdiction.

image.jpeg.6ed442969175665ceb55e4d9a49a6f98.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Yeah, I see why you would but I am not suggesting she's a Nazi bitch because she is English. If you want parity, have Michelle Mone, a Nazi Scottish bitch.

image.jpeg.4ecc421241a33c01083b8e62eeb9f0b5.jpeg

You, sir, are a fucking diddy.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

You, sir, are a fucking diddy.

I will always call out right wing English nationalists where it's appropriate, I'm sorry you find that difficult to understand.

2 hours ago, Leeds Saint said:

Not wishing to divert this thread too much but the 'failing state education' she is always on about is more referencing her time at Roundhay School in Leeds rather than Paisley. She is being rightly pilloried for highlighting an education in a 'red wall' seat that was actually conservative when she was educated the school was never a 'failing' school.

My comments have grown legs in traditional P&B style, who would know there were so many Truss fans on here, but the clarification is welcome.

6 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Lewis Jamieson has joined Dean McMaster on loan at Airdrieonians.

Will be interesting to see now if we keep Offord or send him out too.

Offord is very much in the first team picture. I doubt he will go on loan. 

I know it's stating the obvious, but I do feel this is a bit of a make or break season for Erhahon. Robinson seems to see him as first pick to anchor that midfield, and I think we all would agree a run of games is exactly what he needs.

I see that we're 1 of the 7 Premiership teams who have decided not to enter the new reserve league (there are only 9 games to play right enough). 

Ayr United 
Dundee 
Dundee United
Hamilton Academical 
Hibernian
Kilmarnock 
Livingston 
Motherwell 
Queen of the South
Queen’s Park

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I know it's stating the obvious, but I do feel this is a bit of a make or break season for Erhahon. Robinson seems to see him as first pick to anchor that midfield, and I think we all would agree a run of games is exactly what he needs.

He has only got a year left on his contract iirc. He was one of the best players in the league cup. That's not saying much though.

I hope we can get him on a new deal as I think there is potential there, maybe needs to move on to kick up a level though. 

He is still very young. Would he sign a new deal or just see it out and hope for some options to choose from for next season?

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

He has only got a year left on his contract iirc. He was one of the best players in the league cup. That's not saying much though.

I hope we can get him on a new deal as I think there is potential there, maybe needs to move on to kick up a level though. 

He is still very young. Would he sign a new deal or just see it out and hope for some options to choose from for next season?

Would it be unfair to say that should we have retained Gogic, Erhahon wouldn't be in the starting line up?

I agree with you btw, there's definite potential there. Bit too keen to get a yellow at times, but so was Power, and Foley before him, when they played that role. I guess that's just part of being in that position.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

He’s already made it. This season will just determine whether he gets a move within Scotland like John McGinn/Kenny McLean or whether he goes down south/ to mainland Europe come January or next summer. 

43 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

He’s already made it. This season will just determine whether he gets a move within Scotland like John McGinn/Kenny McLean or whether he goes down south/ to mainland Europe come January or next summer. 

Agree at 21 his best years are in front of him he will get a bigger club than Saints. To have played 100 plus games is impressive for his age. 

51 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

I don't think hes made it. He has talent but doesn’t impose himself enough in games for me. It may be a confidence or attitude thing but if he doesn’t start having more of an impact he could just as easily end up in the Scottish Championship as the English version.

7 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

He’s already made it.

6 hours ago, Hendo said:

I don't think hes made it.

Could we confirm what "making it" means? If it's inclusion in the first team, then yes, he's obviously made it, but if it means being first pick for his position then you have to say that's only happening now with Robinson's 3 in the midfield and no Power or Gogic. Players like McGinn, McLean or the like had all had

I'd understand if he wanted to move on, he's been with the club for 16 years! A career that was, through no fault of his own, damaged by being forced into that left back position, then not getting enough games.

Erhahon will be one of those weird players who explodes in their final year of their deal, get a surprisingly good move down South, completely vanish into the loan system abyss and be back with you in 4 years.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Erhahon will be one of those weird players who explodes in their final year of their deal, get a surprisingly good move down South, completely vanish into the loan system abyss and be back with you in 4 years.

He had a loan down at Barnsley and by all accounts they were pleased with him. It was their U21 (U23?) squad though, not the first team.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, he'll come back and join someone like you, and do reasonably well, prompting Yer St Mirren Facebook Da, who has done nothing but hurl abuse at him, to complain that we a) let him go and b) failed to re-sign him.

From the minutes of the last SMISA meeting:

"There was a question about the situation with Dylan Reid and how the club can either hold on to academy talent for longer or maximise the club’s earning potential.

Jim Gillespie (JG) answered that it was a difficult situation with many variances, pointed out that Dylan is in the last year of his contract and the club have engaged with the player’s mum and agent. Celtic came in with an offer that reflected the compensation on offer that included a 30 percent sell-on clause. Dylan was allowed to speak to Celtic but was always made aware that St Mirren wanted him to stay to continue his development here.

The situation will now be reassessed in November and the hope is at that time Dylan could be persuaded to sign a contract extension. What will be key is ensuring that players like him and others in the academy can see a viable pathway to first-team football.

JG also admitted that as a club St Mirren needs to do more to maximise the financial returns of any young player that does move on."

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

"There was a question about the situation with Dylan Reid and how the club can either hold on to academy talent for longer or maximise the club’s earning potential.

I think the answer is to lobby the governing bodies and get "commensurate compensation" for any young player going through your youth ranks. I appreciate there is a mechanism in there, but if you look at the £125k figure, is it really worth us putting several years of effort and time into a player who, completely within their rights, could move on. Obviously all players should be able to move, and we don't want to go back to the crazy days of McLean and his 'Victorian workhouse' contracts, but considering the current state of the game I think it's important that more money is channelled through to the developing clubs. Having to try and force a % sell on clause while handing your top talent over for peanuts just doesn't make financial sense.

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Jim Gillespie (JG) answered that it was a difficult situation with many variances, pointed out that Dylan is in the last year of his contract and the club have engaged with the player’s mum and agent. Celtic came in with an offer that reflected the compensation on offer that included a 30 percent sell-on clause. Dylan was allowed to speak to Celtic but was always made aware that St Mirren wanted him to stay to continue his development here.

The situation will now be reassessed in November and the hope is at that time Dylan could be persuaded to sign a contract extension. What will be key is ensuring that players like him and others in the academy can see a viable pathway to first-team football.

JG also admitted that as a club St Mirren needs to do more to maximise the financial returns of any young player that does move on."

Also noticed there was no mention of the £1.2m black hole in our accounts.