The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 hours ago, GAD said:

Maybe it's true and we lost £1,200,000  in the space of a few months. It's just, this story has appeared on here, regular as clockwork, every time we've had a couple of bad results since Gordon Scott took over. It's picked up more pace since the Kibble came on board, and it's been utter bollocks every single time. Who knows, maybe finally these guys are right and we really are fucked.

Was about to say. Wasn't this also a story 2 years ago that we were in deep dire financial trouble?

Then the accounts came out and lo and behold, we broke even.

I do think there are a few disgruntled supporters and ex-supporters who routinely enjoy starting stupid rumours like this. There has been no tangible reason for us to report an operating loss of this magnitude when last seasons accounts (also during covid) showed us actually pulling a small profit. Nothing noticeable has changed in the club since that last reporting period. We haven't sacked any managers, in fact we've made money on transfers.

I'm not calling total shite on this yet but it's not passing the sniff test in any way.

A fair few rumours have been flying about that Fitzpatrick and Goodwin made a right Noel Hunt of the budget.

There is absolutely no way he would of been able / allowed to get the budget so wrong, especially to the tune of 1m quid! We have a board for a reason to stop stuff like this happening.

I’m calling bullshit on this one unless it’s just some accounting / reduction of assets that has caused the loss!

I’m not saying the ‘I heard from someone’ stuff is rubbish, or close to the truth, because I have no idea of the inner workings, but I have to ask myself - if the club were ‘bleeding cash’ to the tune of over a million quid, then it seems bizarre to have even entertained the idea of taking a stand away from visiting uglies. A club in that amount of trouble would surely have binned the idea and associated fan surveys etc. Instead, they’d have kept the status quo, the guaranteed ugly dollar coming in, and looked to charge those visiting uglies as much as they could get away with.

Edited by pozbaird

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m not saying the ‘I heard from someone’ stuff is rubbish, or close to the truth, because I have no idea of the inner workings, but I have to ask myself - if the club were ‘bleeding cash’ to the tune of over a million quid, then it seems bizarre to have even entertained the idea of taking a stand away from visiting uglies. A club in that amount of trouble would surely have binned the idea and associated fan surveys etc. Instead, they’d have kept the status quo, the guaranteed ugly dollar coming in, and looked to charge those visiting uglies as much as they could get away with.

And the money that came in for Goodwin wouldn't have been spunked on Robinson.

Yeah I’ll definitely be taking the latest ‘financial crisis at St Mirren’ story with a big pinch of salt. All the summer business we’ve already done - being one of the most active clubs in the market - wouldn’t make any sense if we were skint. Gallagher, Baccus, Carson etc will not have come cheap.
These latest rumours are more likely symptomatic of a general malaise and discontent around the club. What a difference a year makes in that regard.
This time last summer we had just posted a generational high league finish, made two national semi finals and won all four league cup group games. There was a right buzz about the place ahead of the new season.
Fast forward to now. We had a horrible end to last season, the squad has clearly got weaker over the summer, and we are already out the league cup with two of our most embarrassing results in recent history coming within 10 days of each other. There’s a clear sense of dread ahead of the coming campaign and I think most of us now expect a long hard season at the bottom end of the league.
That kind of on pitch scenario is what usually leads to off pitch crisis rumours.

Good to see Baccus get a start, his condition and performance will be the only real matter of interest today. That and a potentially record low crowd for a competitive match at the new stadium.
Surprised he’s went with five defenders starting at home in a dead rubber to a League 1 side 🤷🏼‍♂️ Also looks like Jamieson and Reid are not part of the first eleven plans, zero starts between them in the league cup.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yeah I’ll definitely be taking the latest ‘financial crisis at St Mirren’ story with a big pinch of salt. All the summer business we’ve already done - being one of the most active clubs in the market - wouldn’t make any sense if we were skint. Gallagher, Baccus, Carson etc will not have come cheap.
These latest rumours are more likely symptomatic of a general malaise and discontent around the club. What a difference a year makes in that regard.
This time last summer we had just posted a generational high league finish, made two national semi finals and won all four league cup group games. There was a right buzz about the place ahead of the new season.
Fast forward to now. We had a horrible end to last season, the squad has clearly got weaker over the summer, and we are already out the league cup with two of our most embarrassing results in recent history coming within 10 days of each other. There’s a clear sense of dread ahead of the coming campaign and I think most of us now expect a long hard season at the bottom end of the league.
That kind of on pitch scenario is what usually leads to off pitch crisis rumours.

Mate, I don't know what drugs you were on this time last summer, but they seem to have been good, considering the fanbase was in complete and utter meltdown over ticket ballots, season tickets, stewarding, pie stalls, strips and anything else you want to mention. There were countless rumours of the evil Kibble destroying the club. We then failed to win our first 6 league games, with some horrific performances, including a 6-0 fucking from Celtic and got papped out the league cup by Livi, with Goodwin extremely close to being emptied. The mood around the club at the start of last season couldn't have been any worse.

Mate, I don't know what drugs you were on this time last summer, but they seem to have been good, considering the fanbase was in complete and utter meltdown over ticket ballots, season tickets, stewarding, pie stalls, strips and anything else you want to mention. There were countless rumours of the evil Kibble destroying the club. We then failed to win our first 6 league games, with some horrific performances, including a 6-0 fucking from Celtic and got papped out the league cup by Livi, with Goodwin extremely close to being emptied. The mood around the club at the start of last season couldn't have been any worse.

The off pitch meltdowns always happen about something [emoji28] On pitch before the first league game of the season there was definitely a good feeling about the place. I’m sure no one predicted us for 12th spot in the prediction thread which I’m sure was a first. Can see a few having us there this year…
Got the game and the steam on. That crowd man [emoji28]
It couldn’t be three figures, could it? Never seen the main stand so empty.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Glad to see we've switched to a formation that suits Greg Kiltie at last... 😂

Tbh, I always thought a 3-5-2 was on the cards this season. I think a 4-3-3 was almost entirely dependent on how Olusanya showed up. The other big loser if it's a 3-5-2 is Henderson though unfortunately...

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Tbh, I always thought a 3-5-2 was on the cards this season. I think a 4-3-3 was almost entirely dependent on how Olusanya showed up. The other big loser if it's a 3-5-2 is Henderson though unfortunately...

Or there's 4-2-3-1 but then four of Greive/Ayunga/Brophy/Main/Offord miss out.

I will say this: Baccus will be our POTY this season. I'm already convinced. Boy was everywhere and was mostly very tidy 

The 1.2 million is part of the grant and is missing from the books. Stuart Gilmour pushing to find out where the money went. Quite a lot of bad feelings towards Kibble most staff at the club have been replaced with Kibble staff including the ball boys/girls. Was told this at the game from an ex-chairman not Gilmour.  

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

The 1.2 million is part of the grant and is missing from the books. Stuart Gilmour pushing to find out where the money went. Quite a lot of bad feelings towards Kibble most staff at the club have been replaced with Kibble staff including the ball boys/girls. Was told this at the game from an ex-chairman not Gilmour.  

Here we go again.